Earthquakes in mining?

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon to all, the reports of the quake that hit in So.Cal are starting to come in and the warning of aftershocks are being sent out. I was curious as to if anyone of our members have ever experienced a quake while mining in a adit or just out and about in a rocky mountainous region. I think my resolve would be tested if i was in a underground mine and heard or felt shaking while I was inside.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, that would really stink. For me, no.

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Think that one would be a little scary, Had a pretty good shaker in 1979, I was mechanic for a construction Co that was doing the bypass near my home in Copper Center . I had ti check andvstartbthe equipment before the crew got there, was up on a tire on a Cat 16 motor grader when it started shaking, didn't last long but was uncomfortable. Lol. Geo

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Never experienced one but have come in and see rocks in the drift where they weren't the day before which is always a little unnerving.

I work in a block and cave mine, you can hear the cave moving in areas of the mine which is always a little creepy when you are only one of a couple people underground on a weekend shut down.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Never experienced one but have come in and see rocks in the drift where they weren't the day before which is always a little unnerving.

I work in a block and cave mine, you can hear the cave moving in areas of the mine which is always a little creepy when you are only one of a couple people underground on a weekend shut down.

I like and dislike the concept of block and cave mining....efficient but pretty scary at the same time. Back in the day, Magma at San Manuel, Az operated a very deep and very hot one. Copper price dropped so they ultimately shut it down but there still are millions of tons of copper down there if the price ever warrants re-opening. The "ore body" is faulted about in half by several hundred feet downward and that section is left untouched except by core drilling. The ground subsidence in the vicinity is or was noticeable.

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like and dislike the concept of block and cave mining....efficient but pretty scary at the same time. Back in the day, Magma at San Manuel, Az operated a very deep and very hot one. Copper price dropped so they ultimately shut it down but there still are millions of tons of copper down there if the price ever warrants re-opening. The "ore body" is faulted about in half by several hundred feet downward and that section is left untouched except by core drilling. The ground subsidence in the vicinity is or was noticeable.

Resolution is going after that one now. Big ass block cable and highly automated

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Friend of mine has a mine about 2 miles from the epicenter of the quake. Mine is okay but he is spooked right now. He wasn't underground at the time bit he is spooked none the less.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was working a pocket in the Slate range just a couple months ago, which is right near ground zero for that quake. I know miners that do coyote'n near Ridgecrest. Hope none were back in their holes when the thing hit. Burried alive and "fossilized" is no way for a man to die ......thats for sure!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread