Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: how much raw gold equals "A Treasure" ?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2015
    Morris County, NJ
    White's MXT White's Prism II
    530 times
    Gold Prospecting + Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    For some reason I associate "Treasure" as something owned by man.
    In other words, if I found 100 ounces of gold in my sluice box, it wouldn't become treasure until I secured it for safe keeping or lost it in some manner.

If I were to find that same 100 ounces in a buried container, it would be found treasure immediately.

Weird how my mind works sometimes.

By the way treasure comes in all different sizes. Small treasures, large treasures..

I agree with Digger’s sentiment. I’m a recreational miner, and in my world if I find a picker or nugget it’s great - but I would not have called it a “treasure” (though now after this thread maybe I would...)

I hate to play word games, but I “treasure” my pickers/nuggets found in the wild, but I would not call them “Treasures”.

Like Bill, though, if I found a gold ring or a jar with gold nuggets I would call that Treasure.

And maybe the next time I find a picker I’ll call it a Treasure.

Brian
    BillA, et1955, Gold4Mike and 1 others like this.

May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    797 times
    IMAU - I have the same association
    but what if you encountered a (hidden) crack and over a bit of time pulled say 150 oz
    I would have no difficulty saying I found a treasure, the crack that was a bonanza

only Ghostminer has stated something of a threshold at 1000 oz
    TerryC likes this.

Mar 2016
    2809 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Bill, I don't think there needs to be a threshold established.
    If you had a pound of nuggets and gold coins in your safe, you would probably consider it a "treasure".
    I know I would. Let's find some!
    TerryC likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21314 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    In your context, it would not just be something of value. In weight, that would be relative. The two things from what I'm reading out of the comments, especially yours, would be, to be considered a treasure at least 50 x the cost of your endeavor and your time. In other words, if you spent $1,000 and 100 hours and you valued your time @ $10 per hour, cost would be $2,000. Any amount recovered below or within 2 x cost I would think of as a hobby, something to spend money on. At 5x over cost, a low paying job. At 50, then you have a treasure.
    TerryC likes this.

Mar 2016
    2809 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    In your context, it would not just be something of value. In weight, that would be relative. The two things from what I'm reading out of the comments, especially yours, would be, to be considered a treasure at least 50 x the cost of your endeavor and your time. In other words, if you spent $1,000 and 100 hours and you valued your time @ $10 per hour, cost would be $2,000. Any amount recovered below or within 2 x cost I would think of as a hobby, something to spend money on. At 5x over cost, a low paying job. At 50, then you have a treasure.
    Smokie, who are you addressing?
    TerryC likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Charter Member
    us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration, LLC

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4269 times
    Prospecting
    About 1 to 1.5 ounces per ton with a few hundred thousand tons minable.
    BillA and TerryC like this.
    Mining is how I make my living. I turn mountains into dust on a daily basis.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21314 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I was addressing the original poster.
    BillA likes this.

May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    797 times
    stc, for me at least what is spent in time or money is never significant unless i run out;
    I never calculate anything before or after the fact, I am doing what I wish to be doing

it really is simply . . . how much weight before being called a 'treasure' ?

as is clear from the responses, there is a huge range between individuals due to many factors
    experience, location, committment
    there is no 'right' answer; me ? I'd be good with a 20 kg 'treasure'

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21314 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have found some really cool stuff, one of my favorite things was a tiny 1/2" piece of Pa jasper, a flake. That was a true treasure to me. Will I ever find the real big $$$ item(s), I doubt it. But I dig for fun anyway so don't really care about dollar value. I've given away a lot of stuff I've found, but rarely sell any.

May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    797 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Machinist View Post
    About 1 to 1.5 ounces per ton with a few hundred thousand tons minable.
    yea, that would qualify
    out of curiosity; placer (too easy) or hardrock ?

Charter Member
    us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    834 times
    Prospecting
    Treasure is a collection or horde of valuable materials, gems, money, precious metals and what ever we humans consider valuable. It's not a treasure if you have to mine it but it is if you find a box full of gold bars or a chest full of gems or doubloons.
    Clay Diggins and TerryC like this.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4269 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by BillA View Post
    yea, that would qualify
    out of curiosity; placer (too easy) or hardrock ?
    Hardrock.
    BillA and TerryC like this.

us
    George

Jun 2019
    Ak,Tn
    Minelab, Fisher
    303 times
    Prospecting
    Treasure, the first gold nugget I found was real treasure to me, in the early 70s I hiked into this area that had been mined in the 20s and 30s. Wasn't a rich placer but there was some gold there.. I had carried a small entrenching tool and a pan, found a small area of bedrock with a patch of sand over it I took a cut across the sand and in the small bank out dropped this nice little football shaped nugget. Talk about excitement, if anyone had been around they would have said that guys crazy... Anyway I tore the H.....l outa that spot, found a few more colors and that was it.. I had that piece made into a pendant and my mate wore it for years until she passed away... That was a Treasure...... I will say a friend and myself mined that area a little but found not much gold.. The old timers had made that decision also. That's how you learn and gain experience, by just doing it...
    BillA likes this.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4269 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskaseeker View Post
    Treasure, the first gold nugget I found was real treasure to me, in the early 70s I hiked into this area that had been mined in the 20s and 30s. Wasn't a rich placer but there was some gold there.. I had carried a small entrenching tool and a pan, found a small area of bedrock with a patch of sand over it I took a cut across the sand and in the small bank out dropped this nice little football shaped nugget. Talk about excitement, if anyone had been around they would have said that guys crazy... Anyway I tore the H.....l outa that spot, found a few more colors and that was it.. I had that piece made into a pendant and my mate wore it for years until she passed away... That was a Treasure...... I will say a friend and myself mined that area a little but found not much gold.. The old timers had made that decision also. That's how you learn and gain experience, by just doing it...
    Sorry to hear about your mate. I hope they went peacefully.

We found a few colors and followed the trail. And it led to the Mother Lode. Same way it has always been done by the small guy.
    TerryC likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links