Info about BLM placer claims?

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
Ok all you placer gurus, before you get busy running your trommels, and sluices for the spring, I have several questions about staking a claim on BLM lands. As with most bureaucracies the cryptic nature of the BLM docs is like reading Greek or German.. (that is I can understand some of the words, but the language is a bit over my head for my level of knowledge)..

When I head to Wyoming in May I plan on testing on some of the open claims I found on the LR2000. If I find something I will want to stake it and register it accordingly.

Here is what I am gathering thus far, please correct me if I am wrong, a placer claim on blm in the lower 48 is 20 acres staked on four corners, in AK you can register 40 acres as a single placer claim.

Being a Township, Range, Section, 1/4, 1/4-1/4 is forty acres, and a 1/4-1/4-1/4 is ten acres, how the heck do the come up with a twenty acre claim amount? that is a T-R-S 1/4-1/4-1/2 correct using the Cadistral systems.. Other wise 10 acres is 660x660 or placer claim is 660x1320 correct?

What I don't understand is "Association Placer claims" can be 160 acres? or is that 8 individual 20 acre claims to make an association claim? And what is the difference?

Placer claims, where practicable, are located by legal subdivision (aliquot part and complete lots). The maximum size is 20 acres per locator, and the maximum for an association placer is 160 acres for 8 or more locators. The maximum size in Alaska is 40 acres. The maximum size for a corporation is 20 acres per claim. Corporations may not locate association placers unless they are in association with other locators or corporations as co-locators.

I am actually interest in a couple areas, is it correct you pay $125.00 "Fee" for each 20 acre claim? So if I find 4 - 20 acre pieces I would pay $500 for my claim fees?

There is a reference to a small miner "maintenance fee" waiver as well. What is being referred to as "Assessment"
can be physical "testing" the dirt onsite, or actually working the claim?

Would this mean if I go to my claim or claims once a year, I can submit a Waiver if I have less then 10 claims?

From the BLM you have to stake a "placer, lode, or tunnel" claim, it is my understanding as a "greenhorn" that a lode is "in the rock" where as placer is collecting alluvial deposits. (even paleoplacer deposits, under the surface) ?
I guess my question about is, is it still consider "placer" to dig out the gravel from above the bedrock? and Lode involved a tunnel, shafts, to expose the veins and not the alluvium correct?? Lode mining requires equipment for blasting, crushing, and processing raw auriferous ore?

Anyway if you guys can post replies i'd appreciate if..

As an aside (but somewhat related about digging in the dirt)
I was watching Gold Fever the other night and Tom Massie dragging his wife along as camera person, into what appeared to be a hillside with a paleoplacer buried under a lava flow. (dummy went in to the cave, or (mine) with a Coleman lantern but didn't bring a flashlight or a spare set of mantles.
Really reinforces some of the things to think about before one heads out into the boonies in the quest!!
He was detecting, and pulled out a nugget (before his lantern went out) about the size of a small superball! Probably a good oz or two nugget. I get a bit claustrophic so I don't think I'd be a very good tunnel rat, but with an incentive of that kind I think I could pay a psychotherapist to hypnotize? my claustrophia away!!

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply buy the blm manual for filing claims for about $13.00.It has all info,maps,diagrams,rules,regulations,test cases,overlays and on and on.660 x 1320 is 20 acres and 1/4 1/4 1/4 is 640 by 4=160,160 by 4=40,40 by 4=10.All location refrences are read backwards by the way too.Tons a au 2 u 2-John

OP
OP
N

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
John,

I am trying to find out if a person is limited to 20 acres "per claim" or can one stake a claim up to 160 acres?

NE

tons of AU to u 2 !!

OP
OP
N

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
Thanks Beal..

Tells me what I needed to know and can't find out from the bureacraps..

OP
OP
N

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
Got a reply from BLM from email sent earlier:

mine to her:
Terry,

I did receive the Claim Packet thank you..

I do have a question, is the maximum size of placer claim 20 acres or can ONE claim be up to 160 acres?

I see both figures as claim size in the documentation, I am thinking I do want to stake a claim or claims on the TxxNRxxW Sxx, NENW, NWNE, SENW, SENE of xxxxxxxx and yyyyyyyyy Quads. From what I remember each is a 1/4-1/4 or 40 acres.. 4 would equal 160 acres.. Would this be 8 - 20 acre placer claims or 1 160 acre claim?

Drop me a note and let me know..

Her Reply:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 3:30 PM
To: XXXXXXXXX

Subject: Re: Claim information

HI XXXXXXX,

I checked the land status for that area & it apperars to be open to location.

Placer claims are 20 acres per person up to 160 acres for 8 or more. So if you want one association placer you need you and at least 7 others on the location certificate. Or you can do several 20 acre claims with just you on it. A quarter quarter section is 40 acres. Sounds like you know what you are doing.

Let me know if you need any other assistance.

Terry

Theresa (Terry) Livingston
Legal Instrument Examiner
Mining Recordation
PO Box 1828
Wyoming State Office
Cheyenne, WY 82001
Phone 307-775-6471

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't ya just love it??Bureauratz claims examiner doesn't even know that a quarter section is 640 by 4=160 acres!!! ::) John AND 7 people will get ya 140 acres NOT 160!! only in government is incompetence promoted to utter total incompetance!!!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOPS,that'll teach me to use this bloody computer before I have some coffee-sorry about that,but still believe they're bureauratz!!John ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread