ChefCat

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Not using one, yet.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, new prospector here. Caught the fever a month or so ago and have admittedly spent WAY too much time looking for gold and way too much money on equipment not justified by the amount I have found. Spent days of several weeks harvesting fools gold. Need to crush it as it still appears to have gold in it under the magnifier; is this common? Regardless, the hunt is a thrill and I have found some real gold. Figured you heavy metal geeks could help me ID this. Found at a gold placer mine known to have platinum. I have had these pitted shiny gunmetal grey metals tagged as platinum given the location of the finds. Just checked the density. The small one is 3.85 g/ml and the large one 3.78 g/ml. Platinum ore perhaps or another metal? What purity do you normally find raw platinum? Thanks!

IMG_20190927_223458129.jpg

IMG_20191003_085831582.jpg

Upvote 0

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a standard iron rock brotha..

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
platinum is about 21.4 grams/ml

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
In the end, if you believe it to contain platinum, a field test will me necessary. At the Gold Refining Forum, in the section on mining and prospecting, is a sticky containing field tests. If you choose not to go that route, an assay would then be necessary.

Personally, based on the images provided, I agree with Oidium45 that it is likely an iron rock. It could contain gold, but primarily iron.

Time for more coffee.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
spent WAY too much time looking for gold and way too much money on equipment not justified by the amount I have found.

LOL..... You and about 98% of all the rest of those who chase gold.

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
ferroplatinum is 12%-28% Fe what it looks like i don't know its density varies.......... maybe its 15 grams /ml on ....... what the density of those rocks 5 grams/ml ??? do a test then you know what you found

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, I have one of those rocks! And the density is about the same, around 3.75 g/ml.
But mine looks funny; there's some iron on the edges, of course, and I think the "gold-like" stuff on the front is pyrite, but what is the greenish stuff on top of that? It looks like it "flowed" onto the rest of the rock.
By the way, this rock makes the metal detector (Equinox 800 in Gold 1 mode) go nuts!
AZ6ostK.jpg

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions