Question about Swauk cr.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This question was asked by someone else on the Washington forum and received no answers.

"I've read that the section of Swauk Creek along 97 from north of Liberty Road to Swauk Campground is pretty much “open”, as long as you watch out for private property."

Is this true?
I don't want to be shot for claim jumping or trespassing and I'd like to explore the area for somewhere, new to me, to go to once in a while

You can P.M. me if you prefer.

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Other than the private property, campgrounds, rec areas, reconveyed areas with no mineral rights (Cascade owns most of the minerals) and about 51 mining claims you are good to go - unless you are within 200 feet of the highway.

Check out the Master Title Plat (MTP PDF) for more detailed info.

Heavy Pans

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You may want to watch this video explaining the geology of the Swauk area " Liberty Gold Mine Geology " by Prof. Nick Zentner.

OP
OP
mike(swWash)

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What about the less than 200' from the highway?
Are these parts of the creek open to the public or out of bounds?

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If there are bedrock areas you might stand a chance to find some gold if not your chances are slim to none.. if you are satisfied with flyspecks ok but if you are hunting nuggets you have to undderstand where to look...

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Swauk creek is on bedrock, it has been mined out for many years unless you have claim there. I have mined the area since 1996 and got some gold but my recent trip there proved fruitless, the Peshastin might be a better choice , and forget about Williams creek at Liberty, all public land literally mined out except for the claims.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What about the less than 200' from the highway?
Are these parts of the creek open to the public or out of bounds?

Within 200’ of the centerline is designated as state recreational prospecting area so it open to the public starting at the bridge at the Liberty turnoff and going up a ways.

There are at least two other such areas in the state, namely on the similkameen and Sullivan creek near metaline falls.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Within 200’ of the centerline is designated as state recreational prospecting area so it open to the public starting at the bridge at the Liberty turnoff and going up a ways.

There are at least two other such areas in the state, namely on the similkameen and Sullivan creek near metaline falls.

Nothing to do with the State or recreational prospecting. It's a federal public land order (PLO) number 4518 from August 28, 1968 withdrawing the locatable minerals within 200 foot of the federal highway.

Heavy Pans

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Clay, you are right but this area is different ,there are claims that are right next the road and the 200ft. rule would nullify many claims in the area but are not. I have mined this area since 1980's and know it well and never has that rule been enforced.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Clay, you are right but this area is different ,there are claims that are right next the road and the 200ft. rule would nullify many claims in the area but are not. I have mined this area since 1980's and know it well and never has that rule been enforced.
It's not a rule it's a Public Land Order.

You say this PLO is not enforced because it's different. You say there are claims there.

Owen says it's a State Recreational mining area and there are no claims.

The Federal Master Title Plat and the Federal Register says it's withdrawn from mineral entry (mining claims) within 200 feet of the road and the rest is mostly recreation withdrawals, private land or privately owned mineral rights.

Wanna bet who's gonna win if it comes down to a court date? :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Owen is right about the area he specified, if you check " My Land Matters " you can see the little piece of state land he is talking about. " LoL ". Next this is the property of the Wenatchee National forest not Cascade, withdrawn from mineral entry you say is true maybe but the historic claims are still active and actively mined, 17lb nugget found s few years ago.

OP
OP
mike(swWash)

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks everyone for the comments and info. It's been most useful.
I know the whole area has been beat to death, so with all the excellent input, I think I'll try a bit further south and closer to home.
Maybe some open places on the Cispus and it's tribs. as well as other tribs. to the upper Cowlitz.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions