mining claim coordinates

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys what about Lot claims? Is a metes and bounds description still necessary to describe a surveyed government lot. I though only if a portion of it is wanted, or lode is filed.
Otherwise legal description would just mention, entire portion of Lot #1, for example.

Some areas in Ca. are not fully surveyed. Within those sections I believe a meets and bounds description would be required even for a placer claim. In any case lat/long or "coordinates" are not used as the legal description. For Government surveyed lots under 20 acres, a single claimant can claim as if it was 20 acres. For lots over that 20 acres, they are treated as if they were 40 acres and would need an additional claimant even if it was just by an acres over 20. BLM will charge you as if it is a full 40 acres.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys what about Lot claims? Is a metes and bounds description still necessary to describe a surveyed government lot. I though only if a portion of it is wanted, or lode is filed.
Otherwise legal description would just mention, entire portion of Lot #1, for example.

I have two lots claimed. You just claim the lot by number. If you want less it is metes and bounds

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also a placer claim does not have to have corner markers if it is located using a aliquot part. So, there won't be a corner post to find.

Last two days bushwacking on our new claims.

Found two different corner markers. Both in places where there weren't corners. When it was previously claimed.

Kind of wasted work if your not even gonna put them in the right spot.

In AK, you have to mark all corners on the MTRSC claim (PLSS), and the claim notice will be posted in the NE corner. From map and compass and sat photos I could get it down to maybe 25'. Being able to get it closer to bullseye with GPS would be nice. But once the claims are up, I can bring in a surveyor and knock off the first year's work requirement.

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two lots claimed. You just claim the lot by number. If you want less it is metes and bounds
Thanks Goldwasher, thats what I thought. I have a lot claim in Iowa Hill and that's how I did it. I was just confused as Clay posted the actual legal description of your claim location has to be in either aliquot parts or metes and bounds. I assume that's for areas without lots

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Goldwasher, thats what I thought. I have a lot claim in Iowa Hill and that's how I did it. I was just confused as Clay posted the actual legal description of your claim location has to be in either aliquot parts or metes and bounds. I assume that's for areas without lots

Lots, by definition, already have a legal metes and bounds description. Every lot is surveyed on the ground and in that survey documentation you will find the metes and bounds legal land description for the lot - including acreage. By claiming a whole government lot you are claiming land by a metes and bounds survey description.

Goldwasher is right, you can't subdivide a lot. That's because it's not aliquot (regular) by nature. Claiming a portion of a lot requires another metes and bounds description.

This stuff can be difficult to grasp but it is a system and when you learn the system it becomes much more clear.

When I have questions about the legal description of a piece of public land I just reach out for my copy of the Specifications for Descriptions of Land from the Cadastral Survey - the people who actually survey all this public land.
:headbang:

Here's how the BLM Cadastral survey explains what a lot is and isn't and why you can't subdivide a lot.

"lots are a legal subdivision of a section and designated by section and lot numbers such as “sec. 3, lot 1.” Lots cannot be described as aliquot...

Lots and other irregular tracts/parcels do not have aliquot characteristics. When they are subdivided there is a remainder. The uncertainty of the location of the remainder intended by the subdivision renders the description ambiguous and subject to more than one interpretation...

For example, is the division line to be determined by a straight line between equally divided opposing lines, or at proportionate linear measurement of opposing lines, or with regard to equal areas? If the latter, it is still a question of how the equal areas are to be achieved, i.e., whether the division line to be determined is parallel with the opposing boundary or run to form a parallelogram, etc."​

Making the location of your mining claim "ambiguous and subject to more than one interpretation" is not something that's really gonna fly since you have to give a legal land description of your claim so that it can found on the ground. That's why you can't claim the "south half" of a lot but you can claim the "south half" of a quarter quarter section.

So we come back to the same restrictions on describing your mining claim or any other legal description of the public lands - by aliquot part or metes and bounds. There are no other choices.

Spend some time reading the book, it's only 48 pages and there are some real revelations in there for those who intend to locate a mining claim. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In AK, you have to mark all corners on the MTRSC claim (PLSS), and the claim notice will be posted in the NE corner. From map and compass and sat photos I could get it down to maybe 25'. Being able to get it closer to bullseye with GPS would be nice. But once the claims are up, I can bring in a surveyor and knock off the first year's work requirement.

You have to pull an actual measurement to set the NE corner marker to start your survey right? Same thing a paid surveyor will do.

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info Clay! Thank you for clearing that up! I totally appreciate the lesson and will have to pick up a copy of that book. I still have lots to learn :laughing7:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I have questions about the legal description of a piece of public land I just reach out for my copy of the Specifications for Descriptions of Land from the Cadastral Survey - the people who actually survey all this public land.
:headbang:

Wow yet more REQUIRED READING lol. Love it!!

Had to redo a lot of claims because I said the south half of a Lot. Learned the hard way.

Nice job Clay as always.

Chuck

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow yet more REQUIRED READING lol. Love it!!

Had to redo a lot of claims because I said the south half of a Lot. Learned the hard way.

Nice job Clay as always.

Do you just record an amended copy or to you have to file a new correct location. A Do over?

Flipper has a partial lot claimed near me. Claimed as an aliquot description.

I just wonder what happens to the poor fella who ends up buying the claim for 3k.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread