My Land Matters

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've suggested to the folks at onX that they get in contact with LandMatters.
There could be a mutually beneficial relationship there.

OnX Hunt has a very popular and useful app that serves up lots of different data, which can be cached offline so things work when there is no cell service. Having Land Matters data as an in-App purchase would be great.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've suggested to the folks at onX that they get in contact with LandMatters.
There could be a mutually beneficial relationship there.

OnX Hunt has a very popular and useful app that serves up lots of different data, which can be cached offline so things work when there is no cell service. Having Land Matters data as an in-App purchase would be great.

Maybe they'll shore up their lot lines too:laughing7:

Problem most likely is that people would have to pay for info that is intended to be free.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe they'll shore up their lot lines too:laughing7:

Problem most likely is that people would have to pay for info that is intended to be free.

It takes time and money to continually compile and format the data, all of which is available freely in one form or another.
Something has to keep the lights on.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes time and money to continually compile and format the data, all of which is available freely in one form or another.

was not my point.

Barry compiles and uploads all that data... donations make a dent...but don't pay for it all I would wager...

I don't see him adding it to a platform that would profit off of it.

It goes against The Land Matters mission.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Land Matters is entirely supported by donations. "Keeping the lights on" is an ongoing issue but Land Matters is unique in not selling advertising, selling their user information, using government grants or tracking their users for funding.

If users don't support Land Matters the lights will go off. If Land Matters did go to a pay model I would no longer be involved. There has to be a line drawn on the exploitation of public internet research and I know where my line is.

The Department of Interior and BLM have spent billions of dollars trying to do what Land Matters does every day. Land Matters operates on less than $17,000 a year. A significant percentage of Land Matters users are in State, local and Federal government offices. Some of the individuals in those offices personally donate to Land Matters to keep those lights on.

The data onX uses is purchased from County Assessors. Land Matters would be pleased to present that same information but County Assessors want a lot more money on a regular basis than Land Matters has. Some things are just out of reach for a small volunteer non-profit.

User requests help guide Land Matters information growth. Land Matters users donate the funds needed to keep Land Matters lights on. It really is up to Land Matters users whether there will be a Land Matters in the future. My hope and dream is that Land Matters will always be there when you need it. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose there is more than one way of looking at things, and I understand your point of view.

I was merely being selfish in wanting to have more data (mining related) conveniently in the palm of my hand (even if I had to purchase it).
My thought was that a limited data layer could be provided with an In-App donate link.
Perhaps that would drive a huge base of outdoor people over to your project. Perhaps onXmaps would receive benefit as well. Boone and Crockett Club went with an In-App purchase with a revenue split. Their biggest benefit is probably additional exposure to develop additional members.

Sounds like there may be a fundamental difference of opinions regarding profiting from public information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread