Tips for sluice build - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 91
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: Tips for sluice build

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #16
    Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

    Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc. etc.
    5,575
    4447 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by GodsEarth View Post
    Hey everyone I’m looking for some tips on a cheaper high bank sluice build I’m putting together. My thoughts as of right now (Keep in mind I’m keeping it very budget friendly), is going 10” wide 36”-48” long with Gold Owl matting. I’m making everything out of wood and I’ll have a little 72cc gas powered water pump and 3/4” pvc piping for water delivery. I’ll have the jet holes in pvc shooting up as well as in from the sides.

    I’m looking for tips on how much water flow I should aim to have. The pump does about 2300 GPH.

    roughly what angle should I have it at? I’ve heard 1” drop per foot.

    Is 10” too wide?

    I’m building it all out of wood to save some money.

    ALL TIPS APPRECIATED! I plan on building it tonight.

    Thanks,

    Adam
    Hi Adam,

    Welcome from a fellow do-it-yourselfer
    I spent many years highbanking/sluicing the glacial drift gold in Indiana so I am familiar with your situation.

    Here are my thoughts for setting up and running your highbanker for the Glacial gold found in Ohio/Indiana:

    With the pump size you mentioned...
    10" wide sluice should be fine, not necessary to be longer than 48" if your outfit is fine tuned.
    3/4" pvc for the spray bar/water delivery should be fine.

    I recommend pre classifying all paydirt to be fed into the hopper down to no larger than 1/4" (larger gravels could dislodge fine gold as well as necessitating too much of an increase in sluice angle and water flow which would be detrimental to capturing fine, fly poop, and flour gold)

    Do not add riffles! That is unless they are drop riffles.

    I would recommend that the spray bar be mounted around the top of the hopper with the holes spraying down onto the grizzly.
    As has been stated in above posts you may want to vary the mat types to promote capture variables.

    As far as angle of drop goes... start at 1" per foot and adjust as necessary, keeping in mind that the angle used is to clear the gravels off the sluice in combination with the water flow.

    As far as water flow goes.... too fast and you could wash away the fine gold, due to it not having enough time to settle out of the flow into the capture zones (low pressure areas), too slow and your mats wont be active enough to exchange the lights from the heavies. The mats will load up and the fine gold will just wash over the top of the compacted material and off the end of the sluice.

    Next issue is feed rate. I know that in Ohio/Indiana it's important to capture every speck of gold possible so be careful not to overfeed your sluice.
    Overwhelming your mats capacity to properly exchange lights from heavies will also cause some loss of those precious specks of gold. Allow just enough time between shovelfuls for the material to process.

    Always a good idea to place a tub at the end of your sluice for test panning of tailings especially when trying out a new setup or process. This will tell you exactly how efficient your setup/process is working.
    Hope this helps.


    Go for the Gold
    GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Dec 29, 2019 at 02:31 PM.

  2. #17
    us
    Dec 2019
    Ontario, OH
    Bounty Hunter TK4
    27
    27 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodyguy View Post
    Hi Adam,

    Welcome from a fellow do-it-yourselfer
    I spent many years highbanking/sluicing the glacial drift gold in Indiana so I am familiar with your situation.

    Here are my thoughts:

    10" wide is fine. Not necessary to be longer than 40" as your gold (if your unit is fine tuned) should all be captured within the top 20"
    3/4" pvc for the spray bar/water delivery is fine.

    I recommend pre classifying all paydirt to be fed into the hopper down to no larger than 1/4" (larger gravels could dislodge fine gold as well as necessitating too much of an increase in sluice angle and water flow which would be detrimental to capturing fine, fly poop, and flour gold)

    No riffles over 3/8" tall, should you decide to add riffles.

    I would recommend that the spray bar be mounted around the top of the hopper with the holes spraying down onto the grizzly.
    As has been stated in above posts you may want to vary the mat types to promote capture variables.

    As far as angle of drop goes... start at 1" per foot and adjust as necessary, keeping in mind that the angle used is to clear the gravels off the sluice in combination with the water flow.

    As far as water flow goes.... too much and you could wash away the fine gold, too little and your mats wont be active enough to exchange the lights from the heavies.

    Next issue is feed rate. I know that in Ohio/Indiana it's important to capture every speck of gold possible so be careful not to overfeed your sluice.
    Overwhelming your mats capacity to properly exchange lights from heavies will cause some loss of those precious specks of gold.

    Always a good idea to place a tub at the end of your sluice for test panning of tailings especially when trying out a new setup.
    Hope this helps.


    Go for the Gold
    GG~
    Hey GoodGuy,

    Thanks for the welcome. I’m glad to be here and I’m sure I’ll be learning a LOT! I’m new to prospecting as a whole so also everything that goes along with it. I’ve been learning panning techniques, how gold travels and deposits, signs of gold (pyrite, black sand, etc.), sluicing, made a Henry poop tube. I’ve also done quite a bit of research into the glacial maps. I believe there to be some possible significant gold right where I live in Richland county Ohio. They found gold back in the 1800s and tried some small mining and sluicing operations but never had luck and since then there’s just been small hobby prospecting. I feel like there has to be gold somewhere in all these hills and valleys. Maybe I caught gold fever early (Very) who knows!

    Great tips and advice on my sluice build. I’ll be very active here and keep updates. Turns out I’ll stick with the 10” wide sluice and 3/4” pvc. Is there any way around having to classify before filling the hopper? I like the idea of just shoveling directly into the hopper. Gold seems scarce in the streams so far so anything to speed up some time would be great so I can explore more areas quicker! What about a smaller angle from the hopper and the jets aimed higher to be more of a direct hit on what I load in the hopper. Would this separate the lights and heavies good enough?

    Thanks again,

    Adam
    Last edited by GodsEarth; Dec 28, 2019 at 06:30 PM.
    Goodyguy likes this.

  3. #18
    Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

    Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc. etc.
    5,575
    4447 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by GodsEarth View Post
    Hey GoodGuy,

    Thanks for the welcome. I’m glad to be here and I’m sure I’ll be learning a LOT! I’m new to prospecting as a whole so also everything that goes along with it. I’ve been learning panning techniques, how gold travels and deposits, signs of gold (pyrite, black sand, etc.), sluicing, made a Henry poop tube. I’ve also done quite a bit of research into the glacial maps. I believe there to be some possible significant gold right where I live in Richland county Ohio. They found gold back in the 1800s and tried some small mining and sluicing operations but never had luck and since then there’s just been small hobby prospecting. I feel like there has to be gold somewhere in all these hills and valleys. Maybe I caught gold fever early (Very) who knows!

    Great tips and advice on my sluice build. I’ll be very active here and keep updates. Turns out I’ll stick with the 10” wide sluice and 3/4” pvc. Is there any way around having to classify before filling the hopper? I like the idea of just shoveling directly into the hopper. Gold seems scarce in the streams so far so anything to speed up some time would be great so I can explore more areas quicker! What about a smaller angle from the hopper and the jets aimed higher to be more of a direct hit on what I load in the hopper. Would this separate the lights and heavies good enough?

    Thanks again,

    Adam
    No one likes to hand classify even though it's a proven way to be more productive when it comes to recovering fine gold when the average size being processed is mostly small flakes, fines, fly poop size, and flour gold.

    If you insist on shoveling unclassified material then at least use a 1/4" hardware cloth over your grizzly bars.
    Without the hardware cloth a much longer sluice may help minimize your losses.

    I know from experience and testing that larger gravels traveling/bouncing/rolling down your mats can dislodge fine gold and cause it to become lifted back up into the laminar flow and be lost. Also a larger piece of gravel or rock just sitting on your mat will cause an increased flow around it and lift adjacent gold back up into the flow. Easy test is to stick your finger down onto a mat during operation and observe the material around it being swept away.

    Gold is really scarce in the mid-west and most of it is fly poop size, pickers are rare, that's why every speck counts.
    Test panning is the fastest way to get on a pay streak. Then you can set up your highbanker to go into production mode.

    Using a highbanker to test for gold would be very time consuming. The pan is your best friend, get to know it well
    Good luck and please post some photos of the highbanker you build and of the gold you recover.

    Here are examples of the size gold that I typically recovered in Indiana............
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	au.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	1784133 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gold1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	1784134

    *NOTE...
    Adam you may want to review my post #16 above, I made some changes after further consideration.



    Go for the Gold
    GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Dec 30, 2019 at 10:16 AM.

  4. #19

    Dec 2015
    224
    351 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Adam[/QUOTE]

    Is there any way around having to classify before filling the hopper?

    You could classify when it goes down the sluice box by using punch plate suspended over the riffles . Many years ago I built a steel sluice box that was loaded with a slusher bucket being pulled by a three drum winch which worked well enough for me. I drilled the holes myself in the plate and I also drilled a countersink on the underside of the holes so that rocks would be less likely to get stuck in the hole. I don't know if this is necessary or not.

    This shows and tells a little of what I am talking about but I see that they use a section of screen, which I think would be problematic but maybe it works fine.
    https://www.keeneeng.com/mm5/merchan...duct_Code=A52S

  5. #20
    us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    5,789
    12537 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    40 gpm min. for a 10" box unless you classify to 1/4 inch.

    Punch plate is a great idea an "undercurrent' is good for your situation.

    Wood sucks. You will put more money in your cursing jar over time. Versus buying a cheap bending brake and a sheet of aluminum.

    Gold hog/ owl matting has weight with +plus wood (SUCKS) = curse jar.

    There are companies that make sluice blanks https://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/customsluice.html

  6. #21

    May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5,904
    4576 times
    Go to any metal fabrication business and have one bent up to your spec's . This is the cheapest you will get UNLESS you bend it yourself!

  7. #22
    us
    Silver Fiend

    Oct 2009
    9,303
    8829 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post

    There are companies that make sluice blanks https://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/customsluice.html
    That website brings back memories from all the research and sourcing I did to build my 3 inch dredge.
    Goodyguy, Goldwasher and Gambrinus like this.

  8. #23
    Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

    Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc. etc.
    5,575
    4447 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I would also recommend https://www.hecklerfabrication.com/
    Their 10" x 5' sluice blank is $15 cheaper than goldfever prospecting.

    Aluminum is the preferred way to go, Wood will work if you so choose plus you cant beat the satisfaction of creating something yourself.
    Here are some examples an acquaintance of mine here on t-net created over 10 years ago that he was quite proud of.
    Would take two men and a boy to handle one of those puppies

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SUNP0001.....1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	1784228

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	high banker.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	1784229
    Personally I like this one



    GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Dec 29, 2019 at 03:50 PM.

  9. #24
    us
    Silver Fiend

    Oct 2009
    9,303
    8829 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodyguy View Post
    I would also recommend https://www.hecklerfabrication.com/
    Their 10" x 5' sluice blank is $15 cheaper than goldfever prospecting.

    GG~
    He does great work, but hes out of stock of almost all the small bits. You can call and ask him about having one made, BUT BE PREPARED TO WAIT. He only does the small stuff in between building his big units.
    Goodyguy and Goldwasher like this.

  10. #25
    Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

    Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc. etc.
    5,575
    4447 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    He does great work, but hes out of stock of almost all the small bits. You can call and ask him about having one made, BUT BE PREPARED TO WAIT. He only does the small stuff in between building his big units.
    Goldfever Prospecting is also out of stock on the 10" x 5'
    Perhaps they source it from Heckler.
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Dec 29, 2019 at 03:41 PM.
    Goldwasher likes this.

  11. #26

    Mar 2016
    2,388
    3695 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Don't let anybody deter you from using wood. MANY men provided for their families during the depression using wooden sluice boxes.

    May not be as durable...but truth be told..there are MANY people that have put more ($$) into their modern durable sluice than they have recovered shoveling gravel. Although they will never admit it.

    Sometimes this is a multi step process...prove it is worth the time and effort, then sink the capital into your project.

    It's really not rocket science..water washing material across a surface prone to catching gold.

    If it's not about profit and just about the experience..I guess buy the best and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Dec 29, 2019 at 05:05 PM.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

  12. #27
    us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    5,789
    12537 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    Don't let anybody deter you from using wood. MANY men provided for their families during the depression using wooden sluice boxes.

    May not be as durable...but truth be told..there are MANY people that have put more ($$) into their modern durable sluice than they have recovered shoveling gravel. Although they will never admit it.

    Sometimes this is a multi step process...prove it is worth the time and effort, then sink the capital into your project.

    It's really not rocket science..water washing material across a surface prone to catching gold.

    If it's not about profit and just about the experience..I guess buy the best and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

    Meh.....

  13. #28
    us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    5,789
    12537 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    every one is out of stock due to actual demand...get in touch some one will make you one..

    there are things called craigslist and Harbor freight (brake)

    Wood actually sucks .145% more now than when I started this post.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

  14. #29

    Mar 2016
    2,388
    3695 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    It was going to be built out of wood because of budget.
    Easy, fast and cheap.

    There are better options.

    If it doesn't work out..use it for a warming fire and make something better..your out a couple boards and a handful of screws.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Dec 29, 2019 at 11:45 PM.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

  15. #30

    Dec 2015
    224
    351 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    40 gpm min. for a 10" box unless you classify to 1/4 inch.

    Punch plate is a great idea an "undercurrent' is good for your situation.

    Wood sucks. You will put more money in your cursing jar over time. Versus buying a cheap bending brake and a sheet of aluminum.

    Gold hog/ owl matting has weight with +plus wood (SUCKS) = curse jar.

    There are companies that make sluice blanks https://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/customsluice.html
    Thanks for using the word "undercurrent" I was racking my brain trying to remember that term.
    Goldwasher likes this.

 

 
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. How to Build a Sluice Box
    By goldenmojo in forum Sluicing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Dec 03, 2014, 06:58 PM
  2. first time sluice build any advice before i build?
    By florida miner in forum Sluicing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan 15, 2014, 09:21 PM
  3. Another new sluice build
    By NJnuggetpirate in forum Sluicing
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: Jan 02, 2014, 10:54 AM
  4. Want to build my own sluice
    By UnderSeaBumbleBee in forum Sluicing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Feb 26, 2013, 07:59 AM
  5. Sluice box build
    By Weser in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Nov 11, 2012, 12:24 AM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0