"Reclaimed" New series on Discovery Channel
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: "Reclaimed" New series on Discovery Channel

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    3114 times
    Prospecting

"Reclaimed" New series on Discovery Channel

I recorded the first episode and have not watched yet but this series may turn out to be worth watching(?). https://www.google.com/search?q=recl...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Last edited by arizau; Jan 10, 2020 at 08:00 PM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Aug 2015
    Northeastern Sierra's
    1259 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    IMO, it was just OK. Formatted the same as nearly all the other "Reality" shows. The advantage will be seeing the old mines.
    Clay Diggins and LouMiller like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10730 times
    Prospecting
    It's a silly and misleading concept.

These are not "dormant mining claims". They ceased being mining claims when they were patented. Those patents cost $2.50 an acre for placers and $5.00 an acre for lodes. "Pennies on the dollar" would have meant the current owners would have paid less than $5 an acre. That didn't happen.

The current owners are not "homesteaders". Homesteading was a different type of land patent. The fact there was a mineral patent granted excludes the possibility of a homestead patent ever being granted on the same land. Two very different things that can't coexist.

With just a little bit of research and knowledge the Discovery channel could have presented some interesting and educational historical information about how this country was settled as part of this show's presentation. Instead we get a the usual made up "history" they think will sell best. Made up history replacing facts - pretty sad.

Just more "mining" TV based on nothing but drama and misinformation. Nothing wrong with relaxing with your favorite beverage and watching Wheel of Fortune, Reclaimed or CNN. It's all fantasy meant to entertain the viewer. If you enjoy that stuff relax and enjoy the show.

Heavy Pans

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    36369 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Gotta take a look and see thanks for the heads up

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 185 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Soakin' Up the Sunshine

Jun 2014
    Someplace Sunny, California
    Garrett Infinium LS
    232 times
    Prospecting
    Can you, in california, have land that is homesteaded, start placer/dredge mining, and then patent the land based on the mineral resources?

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10730 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineMiner View Post
    Can you, in california, have land that is homesteaded, start placer/dredge mining, and then patent the land based on the mineral resources?
    No that's not a possibility in California or any other western mining state..

Heavy Pans
    delnorter likes this.

Aug 2015
    Northeastern Sierra's
    1259 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    No that's not a possibility in California or any other western mining state..

Heavy Pans
    Barry, does a "homesteader" even have the mineral rights?
    Rail Dawg likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10730 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mikep691 View Post
    Barry, does a "homesteader" even have the mineral rights?
    That's a good question Mike, one I encounter almost daily in my work.

It all depends on which Homestead grant their patent was issued under. There were a bunch of different Homestead grants through the years. Many of the eastern states Homestead patents did include the minerals. A lot of the later western Homestead patents excluded minerals, oil and gas. The only way to know for sure is to read the patent.

Heavy Pans

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10824 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    That's a good question Mike, one I encounter almost daily in my work.

It all depends on which Homestead grant their patent was issued under. There were a bunch of different Homestead grants through the years. Many of the eastern states Homestead patents did include the minerals. A lot of the later western Homestead patents excluded minerals, oil and gas. The only way to know for sure is to read the patent.

Heavy Pans
    The homestead grant my home’s land title is based on only excludes lode mineral, not placer. It can be that specific!

PS the show is, in the words of the Executive Producer “just another ‘build show’ but celebrates our mining heritage. I think that’s cool because I like build shows anyway. Also because I will be very briefly in one episode of this first season. I have friends in several other episodes so it will be fun to see them on tv too!
    arizau, Rail Dawg, 1637 and 2 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10730 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    The homestead grant my home’s land title is based on only excludes lode mineral, not placer. It can be that specific!
    That's interesting Kevin. I've studied thousands of patents and never seen a lode specific reservation. If you could share your patent number by PM I'd love to download a copy from the GLO for my collection.

Heavy Pans
    KevinInColorado and Rail Dawg like this.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    3114 times
    Prospecting
    The following series is mostly prospecting specific but not for gold......Outback Opal Hunters(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...30.az-k-z6TEOs), another Discovery Channel series that you may want to put on your watch list. Some of the things these guys do are "just plumb crazy" but they do find some beautiful opal.
    Last edited by arizau; Jan 12, 2020 at 03:48 PM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4561 times
    I watched " "reclaimed" that I recorded from yesterday and while it had beautiful scenery ( but I enjoyed it none the less BUT it had WAY to much patting on their backs for me !
    KevinInColorado likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2017
    North California
    Angus MacKirk Recon, GGT Nugget, Gold n Sand Hand Dredge, Pans and classifiers.
    32 times
    Prospecting
    Forgot this was on, thanks for the reminder. I'll probably watch with the volume off.

us
    May 2011
    tujunga ca
    xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
    1323 times
    i liked it.
    brad

us
    May 2011
    tujunga ca
    xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
    1323 times
    what episode number??
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post

PS the show is, in the words of the Executive Producer “just another ‘build show’ but celebrates our mining heritage. I think that’s cool because I like build shows anyway. Also because I will be very briefly in one episode of this first season. I have friends in several other episodes so it will be fun to see them on tv too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links