Need help with rock and mineral identification

Shoesnsocks

Feb 22, 2020
Placer county, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found some interesting rocks at the spot I've been looking for gold. I found a large chuck of quartz conglomerate, a hefty piece of quartz with some crystals and some orange stuff, and two singular quartz crystals.

I'm wondering what the orange stuff is in the two rocks pictured below and just generally what these rocks can tell me about a spot.

MVIMG_20200404_134707.jpg

MVIMG_20200404_154532.jpg

The conglomerate piece I broke from a large piece, and on the inside it had a lot of this orange stuff, along with some pinkish clay.

I've done some research on the area, and I have read that most of the gold is down in the bottom 80'-100' of an ancient channel that ran through the area.

Basically I'm just trying to figure out if there's a way to tell if any of the rocks I'm coming across could be from that bottom portion of the channel. There were mines in the area so I'm guessing some of the tailings are from down deep.

Upvote 0

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like conglomerate, crush it and pan it. I can't tell you what the orange is myself but it's common conglomerate and may hold some specs

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Orange might be limonite. Hard to tell without more tests to do in person. If you can crush up some of the orange stuff and streak test it that will help with identification.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread