Is it gold?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Is it gold?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2020
    California
    19 times
    Prospecting

Is it gold?

Hi everyone. I went panning for the first time ever and found these pieces. I'm confident the smaller one (magnified) is gold, but what about the one in my hand? I'm pretty sure I found a bunch of pyrite and maybe some mercury (or platinum) as well, so thought I'd ask the experts: is it gold?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200521_125823.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	1837409

Name:	20200521_125805.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	1837408

us
    Oct 2016
    atlanta
    bounty hunter
    40 times
    meteorites
    I think a good test is to try to bend it, if it breaks it is not gold.

Charter Member
    us
    Look at the Historical Gold Mining photo albums on my page

Jan 2013
    Huntington, Or./ Stanton, AZ/ former Outlaw California Gold Dredger
    Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
    4227 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Looks like brass welding slag, but only a test will tell.

us
    Just Another Old Guy

Feb 2008
    Grays Harbor in Washington state
    Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it
    1336 times
    Prospecting
    It looks big enough to do the knife test.
    Push the the tip into it, if it breaks it isn't, if it make a dent, it's probably gold.

From the pic, it looks to be gold but the darker/silvery areas are suspect but not a positive/reject by any means.

My best "go to" test is the shade test, Gold will still look like gold, even when a shadow is cast over it, non gold will darken or turn black.

If you have a gold ring and something brass, or even something that else that has gold color you can do this to see what I mean.

Once you see found gold, you'll never be in doubt again.....and never be the same
    Last edited by mike(swWash); May 29, 2020 at 11:17 PM.
    I'm a drinker with a heavy prospecting problem and I'm out of dirt again

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    30345 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The other comments are correct and remember, gold with a high silver content or mixed with mercury from the old timers can look like that. Good luck.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4698 times
    Get a piece of tile , on the back of it (the unglazed side) scratch the piece of material across it and observe what the color is shown. Gold will be gold in color ! Its commonly called a scratch test.
    Last edited by russau; May 30, 2020 at 03:22 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    41230 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Hope it is Welcome also Good luck
    Teris likes this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

May 2020
    California
    19 times
    Prospecting
    So I tried the tests. It bends, a knife just dents it and the scratch test is gold-ish in color. Looks like gold to me!

Name:	Screenshot_20200530-180402.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	877.5 KB 
ID:	1837781

if it flies, it dies

Jan 2015
    gpx 4500 gpz
    1381 times
    ducks, bucks and gold
    Go find more of them and then compare to what you have. Usually there will be no doubt as to what it is, but sometimes gold can have a green or black color to it
    got the fever? dont scratch the itch.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4698 times
    ALSO you can get examples of different Karet gold and mark down what the Karet is and when you do another scratch test on a seperat peice of unglazed tile , you can compare them to each other to get a idea of what the Karet is on your new peice !

Mar 2016
    4692 times
    As an inexperienced youth, I never had to perform tricks to decide if something was gold...no shading it and seeing if it still shined...no streak tests....no malleability test...when you have gold in your pan, there is no mistaking it. It’s obvious. The saying usually holds true...if you have to ask - it’s not gold.

Gold likes to hang out with friends...they all behave differently than everything else in the pan due to the EXTREME differences in specific gravity. Once you have seen gold and held it, you will never have to ask again. Gold is nearly 2.2 x the density of brass. Gold is over 3.5 x more dense than hematite or magnetite (the heaviest sands in your pan).

What else did you have in your pan...surely not just two pickers?

If you can’t get ahold of some concentrates, put some lead shot in your pan...gold will behave similarly even though gold is 1.7 x more dense than lead. Heck throw that first piece in the pan and practice keeping it there!

Sounds and looks like you found gold...I bet you will know it next time ; )
    You must have a good spot..if it’s not already claimed by someone else..go back and find some more!
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Jun 01, 2020 at 11:19 PM.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

us
    Just Another Old Guy

Feb 2008
    Grays Harbor in Washington state
    Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it
    1336 times
    Prospecting
    Zesty!!
    Teris likes this.
    I'm a drinker with a heavy prospecting problem and I'm out of dirt again

us
    Feb 2015
    Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
    685 times
    Prospecting
    Wow, what beginner’s luck! What state Teris?
    Teris likes this.

May 2020
    California
    19 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenT View Post
    Wow, what beginner’s luck! What state Teris?
    I'm in Southern California. I had my son's crappy plastic shovel and kid's beach pail (that maybe holds a half gallon). I filled that pail 4 or 5 times and found those two pieces of gold. After watching the videos on this site about panning, I realize I was doing it all wrong and probably lost any fine gold that was in there. I pulled those two pieces out of the pan by sight using terrible panning technique and certainly no classifying. I'll go back soon and see if I can find more!

May 2020
    California
    19 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    As an inexperienced youth, I never had to perform tricks to decide if something was gold...no shading it and seeing if it still shined...no streak tests....no malleability test...when you have gold in your pan, there is no mistaking it. It’s obvious. The saying usually holds true...if you have to ask - it’s not gold.

Gold likes to hang out with friends...they all behave differently than everything else in the pan due to the EXTREME differences in specific gravity. Once you have seen gold and held it, you will never have to ask again. Gold is nearly 2.2 x the density of brass. Gold is over 3.5 x more dense than hematite or magnetite (the heaviest sands in your pan).

What else did you have in your pan...surely not just two pickers?

If you can’t get ahold of some concentrates, put some lead shot in your pan...gold will behave similarly even though gold is 1.7 x more dense than lead. Heck throw that first piece in the pan and practice keeping it there!

Sounds and looks like you found gold...I bet you will know it next time ; )
    You must have a good spot..if it’s not already claimed by someone else..go back and find some more!
    I put these pieces in a pan with some dirt from my yard and they are way heavier than the dirt and behave like I'd expect gold to behave. The second/bigger piece looks "dirty" for lack of a better word. But when I scratch it, the dark color came off.

Those two pieces were the only gold I found, but I only had a child's beach pail and shovel (and my pan). I was also using poor technique. With the gold, I found a lot of silvery metallic flecks that I now assume to be mica. I'll let you know if I find more when I can get back out there!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links