New Custom Mini-Sluice (w/ pics)...Any Thoughts?

Yukon99669

Jul 30, 2020
Alaska and Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So most of the gold we find on our Placer Claims is the Flour/Micro Variety....and there is quite a lot of it. I always run my Big Sluice cons. at home w/ a Mini-Sluice and then Blue Bowl. I have several other Mini-Sluices, and I'm not very impressed w/ their retention of the really fine stuff.

I really really like the concept of the "Gold Well" Vortex Drop Riffle Sluice. I more or less wanted a true Mini-Sluice version though. (...yes even smaller than their 6" offering). So I sort of "borrowed" bits and pieces of the concept and threw this together from the scrap pile.

When we built our house a cpl. years ago we had some nice 1/2'' polycarb. left over and I finally found a good use for it.

I laid out some graph paper on the bottom section and drilled 1/16" holes at every other intersection (alternating intersections between rows). The holes go about 3/4 of the way through. Then I used a Countersink Bit to open up the top part of every hole which created the Honeycomb Riffle Sections with tons of little drop down retention pockets below the main riffle.

The First things I'm running are about 5 gallons of Tailings saved from my other mini-sluices.

I know a lot of you have seen and used every sluice in the book. Any thoughts on how this will perform compared to some of the other Mini-Sluices?

I'll Follow up w/ Performance Reports, but I am really curious to hear your initial thoughts on it.

Attachments

• sluice5.jpg
    sluice5.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 78
  • sluice4.jpg
    sluice4.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 74
  • sluice3.jpg
    sluice3.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 79
  • sluice2.jpg
    sluice2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 82
  • sluice1.jpg
    sluice1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Each hole needs to actively replace the lighter material, if it just fills up the gold will not settle and flow right out.
you could make a little lip or put rows of 1/4" strips across between the holes to keep it moving.
expanded metal over each set might work, I've used metal paint roller bucket grid over carpet worked good in a pinch.
you could also make a swirl to imitate the goldwell sluice or dream mat,
you could build up a lip with super glue and baking soda, carve it with a dremel tool
or something of your own, lots of fun creating something.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I would think the 1/16 holes would be hard to keep clear and clog up BUT maybe the C.Sinking the holes would help keep them clear ??? your test run should tell !:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Y

Yukon99669

Jul 30, 2020
Alaska and Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the thoughts and replies!

The mentioned concerns were on my radar as well... so instead of giving it a go I went ahead and addressed the potential issues.

I opened up 1/16" dimples to ~1/8" and can go bigger if necessary of course.

I also added some of the small "gutter-mesh" over the whole thing. I screwed down some small chunks of aluminum angle to keep the mesh tightly in place.

Here are a few pics of the changes....I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Attachments

• sluice11.jpg
    sluice11.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 58
  • sluice12.jpg
    sluice12.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 89
  • sluice13.jpg
    sluice13.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 57

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It sounds like you are using the sluice to clean up concentrates. What size material are you running? If it is all fines (30 mesh and finer) then deep v mat may work well for you. That is what some Washington beach miners use. Ocean beach sand is almost 100% minus 100 mesh as is the gold that is captured.

Good luck.

Last edited:

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a gold well, sold it a few years ago, if I remember the holes had a spiral in them which created the vortex tat helped keep the gold, the maker used a CNC to make the sluice,(it was heavy solid Aluminum). I do not see a spiral in yours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread