What rivers to pan in?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By 1jss1
  • 2 Post By RTR
  • 1 Post By Ohiogoldfever
  • 2 Post By et1955

Thread: What rivers to pan in?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Stinky

Feb 2021
    Greenwood SC
    6 times
    Prospecting

What rivers to pan in?

I recently went to a river in my area to pan for gold, and despite digging up gravel from gold traps, and finding plenty of black sand, I found nothing. I had even researched a gold map, and found out that where i was, was down stream from a gold mine. Is there any way to tell the rivers that have gold in them, and those that have too little to be worth it?
    RTR, Reed Lukens and et1955 like this.

us
    Mar 2014
    New Glarus,WI
    CTX,800,Explorer2,IDXPro-M,Compadre
    1141 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I don’t hunt gold but I can tell you with a decent degree of certainty that you won’t get put to work in any rivers that are productive....by someone else. It’s just too precious of a thing. It’s like asking where the bushel of money is. You might get general answers like...what to look for, signs gold might be present...general stuff you already know. But if I knew of a place I could pan a bunch of gold, the last thing I’d do is tell someone else about it. Just me...good luck in your search!
    P.S. If you find a great spot....BE QUIET!!

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
    5639 times
    Make sure you are panning in the right spots on your river first, before you give up on it. Look for charts on how to read a river, also see if you can find a local prospecting club that can give you some pointers on the gold in your area, you might have micro gold and it will take more than panning to get the real small stuff. One of the areas I go to out here in California is named grub gulch and was only good enough to get enough gold for grub, but not rich. LOL It has micro gold, but if you go after it correctly you can bring quite a bit home and have some fun doing it. Good luck and hopefully you will have some full pans in your future.
    back of the boat

RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    19340 times
    Here is a gold mine map of SC.Find a creek(that's legal to hunt) near these mines,and move some boulders(that are on,or near the inside bend of that creek) .IF there is any gold at all it will be under these boulders Good luck
    You'll need this >Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	1906615

>>> https://raregoldnuggets.com/?p=839
    Reed Lukens and Gold4Mike like this.

us
    Certified village idiot

Oct 2020
    Dayton Ohio
    203 times
    It just takes time. Prospecting is looking for gold not finding it. Mining is knowing where the gold is and getting it. Just keep at it. Test around, hell you could have been two feet away from a nice pocket, only time will tell.
    et1955 likes this.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1316 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jss1 View Post
    I recently went to a river in my area to pan for gold, and despite digging up gravel from gold traps, and finding plenty of black sand, I found nothing. I had even researched a gold map, and found out that where i was, was down stream from a gold mine. Is there any way to tell the rivers that have gold in them, and those that have too little to be worth it?
    Wish you shared a pic of river, that would make it easier to give you advise, of the years I have mined and tested over 200 rivers my first way is if there is moss on the rocks, test that and also any plants along the river test the roots. Those will be your first and best indicators of the presence of gold. I am presently mining a little patch of reeds and so far I have found over 9 grams from the roots.
    Ohiogoldfever and Gold4Mike like this.

Sponsored Links