Guide to Prospecting Ancient River Channels
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Guide to Prospecting Ancient River Channels

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ca
    May 2015
    British Columbia
    96 times
    Prospecting

Guide to Prospecting Ancient River Channels

Hey guys, here's a great article explaining what paleochannels are and how to hunt for them. Tons of good info in there: Paleochannel Hunting Guide

The article explains some of the science about ancient river channels and some of the modern techniques for locating them.
    RTR, russau, Underburden and 16 others like this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Idaho
    Gold Hog Stream Sluice
    1122 times
    Prospecting
    That's some good reading right there.
    Phil, Reed Lukens and russau like this.
    Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.
    Visit my Idaho Gold Prospecting Blog at Bedrock or Bust
    US Army Pacific 1969-1971
    2015 Stroke Survivor
    2016 Cancer Survivor
    2017 2nd Stroke Survivor
    2018 Pacemaker Recipient
    Every Day Is A Beautiful Day

Dec 2012
    355 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Great information.
    Reed Lukens likes this.

us
    retired bumb and part time Hobo

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5263 times
    Also look at the publication of "The Lost River of Gold" with maps , I bought mine years back from the the back of the Keene Catalog . I don't know if they still have it AVA.?? It was GREAT reading about the Blue Lead and who the Mammoth River once flowed (a LONGGGGGGGG TIIMME AGO )from Southern California to up into Alaska !

us
    Mar 2021
    Northern California
    Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
    10 times
    Great read. Thank you.

us
    Oct 2008
    Northern California
    1210 times
    Quote Originally Posted by russau View Post
    Also look at the publication of "The Lost River of Gold" with maps , I bought mine years back from the the back of the Keene Catalog . I don't know if they still have it AVA.?? It was GREAT reading about the Blue Lead and who the Mammoth River once flowed (a LONGGGGGGGG TIIMME AGO )from Southern California to up into Alaska !
    I couldn’t find this title on the internet Russau. Do you know where a guy might pick up a copy?

thanks,
    Mike
    et1955 likes this.

us
    Bill B

Sep 2010
    Upstate NY
    Excalibur2,,silver sabre
    1466 times
    Very good information there

us
    May 2011
    tujunga ca
    xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
    1777 times
    google, ancient rivers in calif.there alot of good infor there. brad
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorter View Post
    I couldn’t find this title on the internet Russau. Do you know where a guy might pick up a copy?

thanks,
    Mike
    delnorter, russau and et1955 like this.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1316 times
    Prospecting
    I don't believe it, great Blue Lead running threw my state, not, most of Western Washington state is made up of Islands crashing into the continental US. threw plate tonic expansion. There is no evidence that a river from southern California flowed north to Alaska in my state. Maybe it did flow threw my state but it must have been before the great ice age witch carved out and deposited so much glacial debris here in Puget Sound plus add the creation of the cascade mountain range here witch is one of the main sources for gold found here in western Wa. , the second source is threw glacial deposits from the North.

us

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5263 times
    HMMM Well in the publication and referring to the maps provided in it that "Blue Lead extended from southern California (Mammoth Mountain ) NORTH through Cal , Oregon ,Washington , B.C. ,Alaska and spots were found along this path. Most of it is buried under overburden BUT spots have popped up showing the Blue Lead. It may help to read the publication ! Try Keene to see if they have any more copies left !

us
    Mar 2003
    Cocoa Beach
    6 times
    russau,
    I have the book as well. Great info. When I lived in Arizona, I contacted a state geologist in Phoenix. I wanted to know if the river ever moved into Az. He said that it had, and gave me locations where it could be located. I found several places that he told me about, and the river gravel was there sometimes several hundred feet up in hills. I also found what is described as the blue lead in Az.
    russau likes this.
    "Him thief him friend of him last Guinea,
         Him kill both Friar and Priest, Oh dear.
             Him cut de troat of pickaninny,
                 bloody, bloody buccaneer."

us

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5263 times
    yes Bill he's correct ! I was searching for any possible locations that went East across the states and I imagine it M/Ted out to the Missouri /Mississippi Rivers somewhere! I thought I saw where it went across Kansas BUT private land and skeptical land owner's stopped me !

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1316 times
    Prospecting
    HMMM Well in the publication and referring to the maps provided in it that "Blue Lead extended from southern California (Mammoth Mountain ) NORTH through Cal , Oregon ,Washington , B.C. ,Alaska and spots were found along this path. Most of it is buried under overburden BUT spots have popped up showing the Blue Lead. It may help to read the publication ! Try Keene to see if they have any more copies left !
    Was this an April fools joke, think about it, all major rivers in the northern hemisphere flow from the North to South except those rivers that drain from the mountain's. Was it possible that California had a water reserve capable of starting and creating a river that flowed up to Alaska, research says no. I bought a lot of publications in my past and what they said has been proven wrong many times. The Blue Lead does exist in California but not in Washington State, if you have proof that it does and know where it is my state, tell me where and I will gladly go and confirm it.
    Gold4Mike and Clay Diggins like this.

us

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5263 times
    No it's NO April fools joke ! This was before the uplift of the Tectonic Plate's shift . It is not on the internet and all I have to say is , try to get a copy of it from Keene where I got mine.
    et1955 likes this.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1316 times
    Prospecting
    I ordered the book from Keene, for those that try I bought the digital version but Keene has not yet sent me the digital copy yet.
    russau and delnorter like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links