when is a pan test considered good
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: when is a pan test considered good

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2021
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

when is a pan test considered good

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum but not to the mining industry. I have a gold mine here in alaska. There are three small creeks on five thousand acres. Of course I have panned a ton of tests. It is remote so I did so before flying my four inch dredge out. I usually get from One to three grams for four to five hours of dredging and that is surface gravel as I have not reached bedrock yet. I believe the bedrock is around twenty feet. I find gold fly speck in almost every random pan. Some tests yield four or five colors per pan others much more. One random pan for instance had twenty spec. What I would like to know is what is considered a good pan test as far as how many spec or color per each pan. Im considering placer mining the area. I believe I am getting good enough results to warrant further development but it is so remote i must be certain Im on to something here. I also found and verified corundum some of which are gem quality, blue saphire looking similar to kashmir blue as well as yellow, purple, pink, and red. The largest blue so far is only two carats but I have only processed less than 100 yards of material. Thanks for any input I may receive
    DizzyDigger, et1955 and BillA like this.

us
    retired bumb and part time Hobo

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5284 times
    Welcome to the site and your first post! You need to dredge in lower depth's to hit the pockets where gold like's to hide.
    et1955 likes this.

RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    19340 times
    Post hole driller ?
    davin likes this.

RTR
    us

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    19340 times
    You might be able to rent one of these.And some companies make auger extensions to drill deeper.

us
    Mar 2012
    Idaho
    Gold Hog Stream Sluice
    1123 times
    Prospecting
    Don't forget that one major ingredient when starting a new project: One MILLION dollars.
    Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.
    Visit my Idaho Gold Prospecting Blog at Bedrock or Bust
    US Army Pacific 1969-1971
    2015 Stroke Survivor
    2016 Cancer Survivor
    2017 2nd Stroke Survivor
    2018 Pacemaker Recipient
    Every Day Is A Beautiful Day

us
    Nov 2010
    High Rockies
    GB2
    321 times
    For a placer operation you are generally not going to be in or within 100' or so of the active river channel. (this may vary in AK) so test pans from the active channel do not tell you much about the ground you could potentially dig with heavy equipment.

Sounds like you should be scouting around that vast area trying to located enrichment zones and where bedrock may be much more shallow. Sounds fun, best of luck to you!!
    Underburden and et1955 like this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
    13047 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    5000 acres ?
    mytimetoshine likes this.

us
    Aug 2015
    Montana
    Goldmonster, SDC 2300, etrac
    1155 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    Post hole driller ?
    I'm sorry but I couldn't even watch the vid because I was laughing too hard at the guy on there. Hard to take anyone seriously when they are dressed like that....lol
    On a more serious note, I'd thought of that but reality is IN MY AREAS way too many larger rocks/cobbles that would stop that rig in a heartbeat, not to mention steep brushy ground. jmo

RTR
    us

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    19340 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguy View Post
    I'm sorry but I couldn't even watch the vid because I was laughing too hard at the guy on there. Hard to take anyone seriously when they are dressed like that....lol
    On a more serious note, I'd thought of that but reality is IN MY AREAS way too many larger rocks/cobbles that would stop that rig in a heartbeat, not to mention steep brushy ground. jmo
    Yeah, well, if, you get passed the clothes...there's some good info there
    Goodyguy, russau and oneguy like this.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1316 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskagems View Post
    Hello everyone, I am new to this forum but not to the mining industry. I have a gold mine here in alaska. There are three small creeks on five thousand acres. Of course I have panned a ton of tests. It is remote so I did so before flying my four inch dredge out. I usually get from One to three grams for four to five hours of dredging and that is surface gravel as I have not reached bedrock yet. I believe the bedrock is around twenty feet. I find gold fly speck in almost every random pan. Some tests yield four or five colors per pan others much more. One random pan for instance had twenty spec. What I would like to know is what is considered a good pan test as far as how many spec or color per each pan. Im considering placer mining the area. I believe I am getting good enough results to warrant further development but it is so remote i must be certain Im on to something here. I also found and verified corundum some of which are gem quality, blue saphire looking similar to kashmir blue as well as yellow, purple, pink, and red. The largest blue so far is only two carats but I have only processed less than 100 yards of material. Thanks for any input I may receive
    Here In Washington state on the rivers I mine I average 1 gram panning or sluicing per hour, each method requires a different understanding on how to mine using those methods. You say you have 3 creeks running threw your claim, is it possible those creeks are running threw an ancient river deposit ?, analyze any topo maps of your claim for possible ancient river flows but if this is an ancient glacial deposit AND FROM WHAT YOU SAID ON YOUR RECOVERY RATE, not worth it. Best wishes and good luck but the gems are awesome.
    russau and BillA like this.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table, etc.
    6410 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    Yeah, well, if, you get passed the clothes...there's some good info there
    Allan is a friend of mine and the getup is his youtube signature look.
    He actually is a retired areospace engineer and loves prospecting as well as designing and making his own equipment.

He definitely is someone worth taking seriously, costume not withstanding.
    As far as the post hole digger goes, it's not for every situation.

GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Mar 23, 2021 at 06:42 PM.
    russau likes this.

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    2034 times
    Prospecting
    Fly specs don't add up, especially in a small operation.
    "worthwhile: is easy to calculate. Add up all the gold you find in a day or week. Subtract the cost of fuel, food etc... and if you dont end up with minimum wage after that then you are wasting your time.
    If you are not seeing at least 1/4 oz after a day of panning and sluicing then you need to keep looking...unless you are just having fun
    et1955, russau, delnorter and 2 others like this.

us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
    3311 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaro View Post
    Fly specs don't add up, especially in a small operation.
    "worthwhile: is easy to calculate. Add up all the gold you find in a day or week. Subtract the cost of fuel, food etc... and if you dont end up with minimum wage after that then you are wasting your time.
    If you are not seeing at least 1/4 oz after a day of panning and sluicing then you need to keep looking...unless you are just having fun
    1/4 oz per day with just a pan or you're wasting your time?! Lol those are some high standards Bonaro! Let's change that to 1/4 gram maybe haha
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDoozah View Post
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

Aug 2015
    Northeastern Sierra's
    1520 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mytimetoshine View Post
    1/4 oz per day with just a pan or you're wasting your time?! Lol those are some high standards Bonaro! Let's change that to 1/4 gram maybe haha
    Yeah, we felt it was a good weekend when we weighed a gram.... Until the wind picked up. Remember that Erik?
    mytimetoshine likes this.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1316 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mytimetoshine View Post
    Not high standards at all, to be productive Bonaro is right, 1/4 gram a day panning is a waste of time if you are trying to make money mining. It is not about standards but experience that determines the the amount of gold you find plus having good ground.
    Clay Diggins and Bonaro like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links