Hiking boots recommendations? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Hiking boots recommendations?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    MAGA

Dec 2015
    Jefferson Coast
    849 times
    Prospecting
    Try a search for viet nam jungle boots. The original boot can take the water and are sturdy enough to hike with as well as dry somewhat when you get out of the water. The uppers are a web material and they have drain grommets with a screen to assist dewatering. Definitely not a cold weather boot.
    Teris likes this.

us
    Rock stacker

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Dowsing rods
    1265 times
    Prospecting
    They are based on jungle boots so they drain well but no when I go in the water I use a pair of wading shoes or oversized work boots over my dive booties.
    Teris, Goodyguy and russau like this.

May 2020
    California
    42 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc053 View Post
    Hey Teris, you said you want boots that you can wear hiking in, then get wet in the river....but then you're going to hike out in wet boots? Maybe I'm not envisioning the right level of immersion in water, but if I went knee-deep in water then any boot would get water-logged, and then hiking out with wet socks would really be uncomfortable.
    Anyway, I'm not sure these boots are what you're looking for, but I absolutely love my Salomon Quest Prime GTX boots. I've had a lot of boots over the years and done a lot of trail hiking/backpacking, and these have held up over the past 3 years. Just a few days ago I slipped off a log and went ankle-deep into a stream, and the boot kept the water out and my socks dry. I like them so much I just bought my son a pair of Salomon Quest 4 GTX (and he now wears the same size as me, so if he doesn't like/wear them then they become mine!).

Good luck with your selection, and sorry if I'm not understanding your use case.
    Yeah, I hike a few miles and have to cross a river a few times on the hike. Sometimes I can cross on rocks and logs. Other times, I need to get in the water to cross safely. I also have to set up a sluice in the water, so I'm over ankle deep. I could bring rubber boots, but I don't trust those for the hike, so rather than change several times, I usually just wear the wet shoes on the hike out. So far, it hasn't been a problem, but my shoes (just sneakers) are destroyed. I like the look of those Solomons. Maybe I'm asking too much of any shoe to last under my use conditions.
    mytimetoshine likes this.

Aug 2015
    Northeastern Sierra's
    1515 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    My one and only boot I use are rubber hip waders, here in western Washington you are not far from a water source that you have walk threw. I am able to cross a lot of rivers with them and also they have knee pads witch is very nice when mining. I also buy my boots a size or 2 larger so I can double the socks, the river is always very cold up here.
    I used to wear my waders for the hike in as well. That is until I snagged one and didn't know. Nothing worse than hopping into 36 degree creek water and finding out one wader is filling up. Makes for a miserable day of mining.
    et1955, Teris and Clay Diggins like this.

us
    Nov 2010
    High Rockies
    GB2
    312 times
    I go for the stiffest boot I can find with good ergonomics and Vibram sole. I also opt for GoreTex but if you are purposefuly getting wet then ditch the goretex. Look on sites like Moosjaw and Backcountry for discontinued models at half off. Heavy duty backpacking boots. Good luck

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1316 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mikep691 View Post
    I used to wear my waders for the hike in as well. That is until I snagged one and didn't know. Nothing worse than hopping into 36 degree creek water and finding out one wader is filling up. Makes for a miserable day of mining.
    That has happened to me so many times, it is the pits but the worst is crossing a river and you make that one step that is deeper than the length of your hip waders, feeling that cold water work its way down the boot to your toes but on those hot summer days its not so bad, maybe a little squishy. I will add the worst to wear are chest waders, if you ever fart in them you will now what I mean, LOL
    Teris likes this.

Aug 2016
    2385 times
    Zamberlan boots
    Teris likes this.

us
    Prospector

Apr 2014
    Modesto, CA
    893 times
    Prospecting
    Adidas Hiking Shoes from Khols. I often go on long hikes, and "boots" are way too heavy/ clunky..preventing the agility needed to not fall off of a cliff, slippery bedrock, etc. They're only 60 bucks at khols...I picked up 3 pairs lol. They're not water proof...but can't have it all
    Teris likes this.

Aug 2015
    Northeastern Sierra's
    1515 times
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    That has happened to me so many times, it is the pits but the worst is crossing a river and you make that one step that is deeper than the length of your hip waders, feeling that cold water work its way down the boot to your toes but on those hot summer days its not so bad, maybe a little squishy. I will add the worst to wear are chest waders, if you ever fart in them you will now what I mean, LOL
    My creek rarely warms up for to not be uncomfortable cold. I was working a hole shoulder deep when I stepped just a little too far into the hole. Yup, I got that cold flood down my leg. I did invest in chest waders after that. Worst part of chest waders is when you get that "urgent" calling and gotta drop them fast.
    wildminer, Teris and N-Lionberger like this.

FROSTY MINER

Jan 2020
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro | Ground EFX MX100E | Minelab Pro-Find 15
    29 times
    I use Columbia hiking boots. They are waterproof but Iím in the desert so they donít get wet too often.
    Teris likes this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    11219 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMiner View Post
    I use Columbia hiking boots. They are waterproof but Iím in the desert so they donít get wet too often.
    I love my Columbia boots although I will say I go through the sole tread in just a couple years. I donít wear them into the river.
    Teris and FrostyMiner like this.

us
    Sep 2016
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Equinox 800, White's Goldmaster
    145 times
    Not sure if this helps, but when I hunt, I wear Schnee's. I hunt (like animals, not gold) all over Alaska from the tundra to the mountains and they're fantastic. Waterproof and strong. I don't wear them while mining because I'm a super snob when it comes to my hunting gear. lol. They're fairly expensive though.
    wildminer likes this.

us
    Aug 2015
    Montana
    Goldmonster, SDC 2300, etrac
    1155 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'm a White's guy. Been wearing Whites for ever and current boot is 10-11yrs old now and will go a couple more yrs before a re-build (Whites seem to be good for 1 rebuild from my experience with a rebuild almost like new). Spendy but built and if you spend any time on your feet out in the brush might as well have a good SUPPORTED boot...imo. I wouldn't recommend them for in the creek (Vibram sole slippery) except for the first couple days breaking them in, they fit them tight. jmo

https://whitesboots.com/firefighter/...l-smokejumper/
    wildminer likes this.

Jul 2012
    Holmes County Ohio
    Tesoro Lobo
    1862 times
    I wear Rockys for work, hunting, always comfortable, waterproof, and not all that pricey.
    Two rules in life: Don't sweat the small stuff.

It's all small stuff.

MAGA

Dec 2015
    Jefferson Coast
    849 times
    Prospecting
    In conclusion, No two feet are alike!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links