i hate this dam vacuum - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: i hate this dam vacuum

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2011
    tujunga ca
    xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
    1778 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20210402_141038.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	404.6 KB 
ID:	1915139so i got two of these pvc 90s,i may try to heat one up and flaten it for cracks.3 dollars each
    brad
    Last edited by 1637; Apr 02, 2021 at 05:29 PM.

us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 2186 Wheaties
    2712 times
    prospecting, metal detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by 1637 View Post
    so i got two of these pvc 90s,i may try to heat one up and flaten it for cracks.3 dollars each
    brad
    I was just going to suggest a piece of pvc tubing. I like working with pvc. With a heat gun you could carefully and slowly give it a slight bend and slightly flatten the end for a tip. I made a great hand sucker with a 3" barrel.There some dry vacs out there for prospecting. What do they use for tips? Good luck with your project.
    1637 likes this.

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    2034 times
    Prospecting
    Ethanol fuel will eat the rubber parts of less expensive fuel components. I don't worry about it because that process takes time, months of time. Just run all the fuel out of the carb after each use and you should be fine. I dont have ethanol related fuel problems and I have never bought it, just pump gas for me.

Corrugated hose...It worked best for the suction end and anything else will be a PITA to work with. At the end of the day you will have sucked up 20-30 gallons and 1 cup is stuck in the hose...but it is still stuck in the hose. Just shake it out and you got it all
    russau and 1637 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table, etc.
    6410 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Brad,

I know exactly what you mean when it comes to wanting to get the cracks and crevices completely clean and wanting your vacuum to perform at its peak level.
    Just like operating a suction dredge nozzle underwater, it helps to not over load the hose which leads to clogs which I'm sure you already know.

What I have found that helps best when vacuuming down against the bedrock or caliche cracks and crevices is to use a stiff brush and/or small dental type pick or modified screwdriver to help loosen up the stubborn material wedged in the tight spaces. Makes sucking up that hard to get material so much easier.

The biggest problem is that we need more suction power than these small gas vacs can deliver. When it comes to vacuuming the heavy gravels, hematite, magnetite, gold, and dense sand found in the desert we need all the suction we can get. When you add a kinked hose with a rough inside surface to the mix it just compounds the problem.

Dredgers would not think of using a corrugated hose because it would decrease performance. The main reason dust vacs use a corrugated hose is for flexibility, and those type vacs are only made to collect dust, lint, hair and small household debris, not the heavy dense gravely material that we are using them exclusively for.

Name:  vac!.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  2.10 MB

I think we are stuck using and replacing as needed the wet or dry vac hose that comes as standard equipment. The flexible dredge hose I have used underwater would never hold up being drug around and over sharp rocks, and the smooth wall suction hose that would hold up is just too stiff.

GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Apr 03, 2021 at 03:54 PM.

us
    Oct 2012
    Palmdale , CA
    Goldbug 2
    101 times
    Prospecting
    I have found a solution to my suction problem , It's not quite as big as Goodguy's 6.5 but I can still carry it , & it will pull appx. 4' high depends on to rock size/shape , I can also use a longer hose 12' and do not have to move it as much.
    most Vac's are only about 23-25 cc this one has 46 cc so I do not have to run it so fast to get good results .

Name:	King size Vac 003.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	1915348

Name:	King size Vac 006.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	1915349

Name:	King size Vac 008.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	1915350
    Goodyguy, russau and 1637 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table, etc.
    6410 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xracer550 View Post
    I have found a solution to my suction problem , It's not quite as big as Goodguy's 6.5 but I can still carry it , & it will pull appx. 4' high depends on to rock size/shape , I can also use a longer hose 12' and do not have to move it as much.
    most Vac's are only about 23-25 cc this one has 46 cc so I do not have to run it so fast to get good results .
    I like it
    Was wondering what that thing was that was attached between the hose and the bucket intake, but after enlarging the photo I figured it out. Great job!

Had to put my super vac on the back burner until I build a new fan for it. Believe it or not the 6.5 hp 200cc engine running wide open was too much for the solid steel dust collector fan and I warped it completely out of shape trying to show off by picking up a bowling ball.

So until I build a new stronger fan for it I'm back to using the old vac pictured in my above post.

GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Apr 03, 2021 at 06:20 PM.
    russau and 1637 like this.

us
    retired bumb and part time Hobo

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5284 times
    I made a back pack for my old vac pack That way I had room to carry my creviceing tools and still had my arms to carry other thing's from my ATV 30 feet to the creek ! YEP it was rough but someone had to do it !

us
    Certified village idiot

Oct 2020
    Dayton Ohio
    203 times
    If your hose is full of ribs and is an issue try looking into pool vacuum hose. Also home depo has hose kits for the ridged vacs that is some nice high quality smooth internal stuff. That cheap black shop vac trash is a nightmare.

Sucks when your sucker ain’t suckin.
    Goodyguy, 1637, Megalodon and 1 others like this.

us
    May 2011
    tujunga ca
    xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
    1778 times

Name:	Resized_20210406_152219.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	454.3 KB 
ID:	1916195well got a new hose.its about 90 % ribs on the outside ,so its pretty smooth on the inside.its 21/2 od, flexable and i glued a pvc 90 on the end.i got it from mcmaster-carr.will test weds or thurs, thanks for all the input
    brad
    Last edited by 1637; Apr 06, 2021 at 06:07 PM.
    russau, Goodyguy and Bodfish Mike like this.

us

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5284 times
    I'm sure you will like the results of the new hose ! No more shaking the hose to clear it out and it'll last !!
    1637 and Bodfish Mike like this.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    6410 times
    I am afraid that the 90 degree elbow may be a clog point. It would be on a dredge hose for sure.
    If you use a 30 degree it would be much less likely to clog. Straight would be even better.

The hose should do the trick.

GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Apr 09, 2021 at 09:41 PM.
    russau, 1637 and Bodfish Mike like this.

us

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5284 times
    I found that with any hose your better off with a short as possible hose and add to it if your needing more hose wither your dredging of using a dry washer. My reasoning for this is I like to keep my hose on any device ,as straight as possible to help prevent plug ups and any time you have any hose that isn't straight is asking for a plug up and hogging the material is a sure way to plug your hose !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links