AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Fever did a show where Tom Massie was panning for gold on the Green River in Kentucky.

Skip

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, he did.

There is a user on some of the other gold forums, goes by the user name "fauss" and he lives in Kentucky and has found gold there!
I don't know as to where in Kentucky, but told me if I wanted to come up there he would show me, that there is GOLD in kentucky, even though there is not suppose to be gold, he said that there isn't a lot, but gold can be found in Kentucky.

Skip

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First you have to realize ALL them shows are staged,they'd find gold in the Bronx Zoo!! The recent GPAA mag has a concise report on eastern gold sites.Tons a au 2 u 2-John

155gunner

Dec 8, 2007
There is gold in Kentucky. It is all glacial gold therefor the closer to the northern border the better. It is not as plentiful as indiana or ohio but its there. I believe Ky is at the very tip of the glacial outwash areas, which is what you need to look for. Believe it or not but my research tells me the ohio river was formed to carry of the glacial outwash from melting glaciers. My memory is a little foggy but i believe the North central part of the state recieved the gravels/gold from the wesconsin event and the western part of the state was involved in the illinios event. You can go to the Ky geological site online and look around at the maps for outwash deposits. Or in otherwords gravel deposits. Some of these show on topo maps as gravel quaries or abandoned rock quaries. Not the limestone type, but what people call river rock or the round pea gravel type. Some of these deposits are 100 plus feet deep. Anyway, in a nut shell if you find areas with gravel deposits then there should be gold in close proximity. All the gold in ky came down from canada. It may not be much but its there. I think Tom Massie said on the segment about kentucky gold that the only two states that did not have any appreciable gold were Kentucky and Hawaii. When people say there is NO gold to be found it usually means in commercial quantities. I am new to prospecting, so therefor take what I have said with a grain of salt. I have found gold here. It takes a lot of effort but its here. I would like to hear from anyone else who is looking or has found Kentucky gold.

Good luck

Larry ;D :D :D

johnboy54

Greenie
Sep 16, 2006
Johnson City TN
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 202
engine 823 said:
Just wondering if any of you have heard of places in kentucky to pan for gold. I live here and have never tried but would like to. Any mention of kentucky in GPAA books. Please reply ???
Gold Has Been Found Around Pineville Ky Glaicer Drift Gold In Streams

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread