Looking for a gold hunting spot in North Georgia

Monger1711

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2008
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites
I've gotten the urge to do some panning/slucing lately and am looking for a location closer to home.

I have prospected mostly in the Dahlonega area but with limited access to a truck to haul and lack of serious time I wanted to try my hand at a few spots close to the house.

Basically I am curious if anyone has found any trace deposits in Barrow county. I figure its a long shot but its a heck of a lot closer to home. Any hope out there?

Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a link to mines in Georgia.
There seem to have been mines in most of the counties around you, but I did not find any for Barrow.
They are listed by counties just click on the ones you want to see and some of them have GP Cord.
Hope this help.

Skip

P.S. The link isn't working properly, so you will have to go to the main page and do the search yourself, at the home page, look at the top, below "Log in" an click on "Search Pages", and then click on "Search for Minerals in a Region", then @ Mineral Name: Gold, and then @ Region: Georgia, USA, and then click "Search" and that it! GOOD LUCK!

http://www.mindat.org./index.php

OP
OP
Monger1711

Monger1711

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2008
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites
AU Seeker said:
Here is a link to mines in Georgia.
There seem to have been mines in most of the counties around you, but I did not find any for Barrow.
They are listed by counties just click on the ones you want to see and some of them have GP Cord.
Hope this help.

Skip

P.S. The link isn't working properly, so you will have to go to the main page and do the search yourself, at the home page, look at the top, below "Log in" an click on "Search Pages", and then click on "Search for Minerals in a Region", then @ Mineral Name: Gold, and then @ Region: Georgia, USA, and then click "Search" and that it! GOOD LUCK!

http://www.mindat.org./index.php

Thanks! I've taken a look at Mindat as well and your right lots of stuff around me but not too much in Barrow. It appears to be mostly things like Hornblende.

OP
OP
Monger1711

Monger1711

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2008
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Hoser John said:
Recent GPAA mag has a concise report on eastern gold,buy it for starter info-Tons a au 2 u 2-John

Got a link to the latest mag? Can your order single issues?

Thanks!

fanatic

Feb 4, 2005
The basic information in the GPAA article about history and gold locations was excellent. The actual areas open to prospecting seemed to be two years out of date. Some of the GPAA properties mentioned are no longer available and some of the pay to dig sites have been closed.

Some newstands carry the GPAA magazine called Gold Prospectors. They may send you a single copy if you call them. If that doesn't work shoot me a pm or email and I'll tell you what I know vs what the article said.

OP
OP
Monger1711

Monger1711

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2008
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites
fanatic said:
The basic information in the GPAA article about history and gold locations was excellent. The actual areas open to prospecting seemed to be two years out of date. Some of the GPAA properties mentioned are no longer available and some of the pay to dig sites have been closed.

Some newstands carry the GPAA magazine called Gold Prospectors. They may send you a single copy if you call them. If that doesn't work shoot me a pm or email and I'll tell you what I know vs what the article said.

Thanks fanatic, sent you a pm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread