Michigan...2007

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
I went to Michigan last summer to do some prospecting on my brother in laws farm. I had noticed some blue clay on his disc when I was there before. I found a string of gold about 10 feet from the present stream. The rocks were round so I don’t think they came from the ice flows. I don’t think it would be wise to mine this gold.
I goggled clay and found that what I understand about clay deposits is not the way it was formed. My understanding is that clay is formed from volcanic ash that has been compressed. I also think that the blue clay is one of the oldest clay deposits. Besides Michigan I have also found it in the Carolinas. When I drove through Georgia I noticed a lot of red clay. Red clay is a sign of recent Volcanic activity.

When you are dredging be careful as that blue and yellow clay will rob the gold right out of your box…Art

Upvote 0

Bizerker

Jan 14, 2008
You say, "I don’t think it would be wise to mine this gold." Why? Don't you want all the gold. I know I do.

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
I dug about 20 test holes. They all had gold but only six of them had more than a few flakes. The costs and time to me would not justify the project. If he wants to play around and get a little gold that would be OK…Art

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Hey thompy…..The gold was between 2 and 3 feet deep. I have found a lot of gold laying on top of blue clay. I never got to bedrock so I still don’t know what was on top of it. I also like to find some Beige Colored soil in my holes but found none…Art

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
ive never seen blue clay, plenty of clay though, i think most of our soils were wiped away during the glaciers in the U.P. plenty of dirt, gravel, clay rock. conditions of the soil matrix change so fast here, not so much the lower and eastern parts. but the north and western UP. i read millions of years ago the hills around hear were part of a good sized mountian range, wonder where all that gold went

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions