Getting closer to getting the old dredge rebuilt!

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I finally got some time to work on my dredge a bit, I am rebuilding an older keen 5 inch tripple sluice.

Anyone had much experience with these?

I do have a couple questions if anyone knows.

With the rebuild kit. with the newer urethane bushing, is the spring required? as I can not get it to fit on otherwise in the pump housing.

Also, Any Ideas on how to add a high pressure hose off the older style pumps so I can have something to blast cracks down there with high pressure water?
Should I cut a piece of pipe and weld a garden hose valve on there? would that work? I would like to be able to run a bit of a bleed off and around the exaust so I can get some warm water in my suite.

Also, has anyone ever put in a small thank inline to help control spurts of hot water when the hose clogs? I had a nasty experience with that about 10 years ago. Would a small tank in line help? Has anyone tried that?

what do you all feel is best to catch gold, the old style carpet or miners moss?

Thanks,

david

Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
jewelerdave said:
I finally got some time to work on my dredge a bit, I am rebuilding an older keen 5 inch tripple sluice.

Anyone had much experience with these?

I do have a couple questions if anyone knows.

With the rebuild kit. with the newer urethane bushing, is the spring required? as I can not get it to fit on otherwise in the pump housing.

Yes, you need the spring. Its not uncommon to have been delivered the wrong seal for your pump, though. Try a pool supply store to get one that fits.

Also, Any Ideas on how to add a high pressure hose off the older style pumps so I can have something to blast cracks down there with high pressure water?
Should I cut a piece of pipe and weld a garden hose valve on there? would that work? I would like to be able to run a bit of a bleed off and around the exaust so I can get some warm water in my suite.

Also, has anyone ever put in a small thank inline to help control spurts of hot water when the hose clogs? I had a nasty experience with that about 10 years ago. Would a small tank in line help? Has anyone tried that?

I use a 1/2 inch ball valve instead. Less clogs and you can even install an inline screen to keep the pebbles from clogging further down the line.

what do you all feel is best to catch gold, the old style carpet or miners moss?

Miners moss under expanded metal riffles in the side sluices, carpet under Hungarians in the main.

Thanks,

david

I'm sure others will come on with other suggestions, these aren't set in stone by any means, just what I use.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extra 1 gallon tank assures you a back free of scalding hot water. Heat changes are much slower allowing you adequate time to see whatzup. The el cheapo in line screens are fantastic for preventing plugups and I've NEVER been burned in over 35 years of using them. Newer wetsuits are FANTASTIC and I use the heater MUCH less now. Keep the blaster nozzle SIMPLE-just get a plumbing T and use it for your blaster,with a small valve and a el cheapo lawn sweeper nozzle,looks like a mini firemans nozzle. Harbor freight has some REALLY great ones cheap-Tons a au 2 u 2-John :thumbsup:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOPS-if you miners moss always remember that once you shut down that lousy moss becomes impacted like cement and you MUST clean out the box completely as you will lose 90+% from that point on--a real pain for a full time miner. go to costo and they have a aggregrate out door carpet(unbacked)that beat the riffle carpets all to LL. LOWES sell it by the foot,bluebay haze or some bs but elcheapo and backed for about $4+ per 1' x 8'-you never use anything else again.John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread