Moving Boulders out of the way. Pics and Video!

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This was fun to see today, slowly moving about a ton of rock at a time from under water with a basket/sled.
Slow, but worked well.
The rock was loaded under water, dragged to shore, then flipped over on its self.
sorry for the crappy cell phone Vid, but its better than nothing. The photos are a bit more clear!
Fun to see in operation! no gold pics though, I had to go, but they did let me hold a little nugget they pulled up!

Attachments

• 0422081425.jpg
    0422081425.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 699
  • 0422081425a.jpg
    0422081425a.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 692
  • 0422081426.jpg
    0422081426.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 697
  • 0422081355.jpg
    0422081355.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 693
  • 0422081350b.jpg
    0422081350b.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 674
Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o OMG-anything you post publically can/will be used against you in a court a law-THAT IS ILLEGAL AS LL IN CALIFORNIA. DO NOT COPY!!!!!!!!!!!!! This will make the (*&^ environutz just happy as LL to copy and use against use a ABSOLUTE PROOF of the riparian damage and removing boulders from the streambed and chanelizing the stream. When moving boulders and all rock must be just moved downstream and not altering the streambed by doing this. I've mined/dredged/highbanked/trommels for over 50 years and we've NEVER--EVER done this. I've also never been tickeded either. 4 different operations in trinity county were nailed for this and cost many $1,000's in fines and LOSS OF YOUR ABILITY TO OBTAIN A DREDGE PERMIT"EVER",FISH & GAME WILL prosecute bigtime :tongue3: .John

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where does it say California? That could be Alaska, Colorado, Arizona (Way up North), etc.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
yep the location isnt mentioned but Johns words are very true in almost any state! just a word to the wise! but i did like the video and your method of moving the obsticals.

SilverSalmon

Mar 6, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the video :icon_pirat: Talk about gettn' to the gold. I'm not sure if you can do that in Oregon but I'm all in if you can. How does that mess up the environment?? Big deal a couple boulders got flipped. The fish have a new hiding spot ;D

OP
OP
jewelerdave

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just to avoid confusion this is not my operation, Just one I got to see a tour of and thought it was neat.

In order to get at the gold in this location. the rocks need to be moved. Some are being put on the side so the rest can be filled in behind in the small moving trench that is moving up stream.
The goal for this operation is to get to the base of that water fall in the background. it also is right on top of a fault with lots of bed rock and cracks in it. At the time I made the visit they had not gotten to bedrock yet.
However this location is known for having deep rifts in the bed rock with fist sized nuggets in the bottom. Some of the cracks up to 60 feet deep.

This operation is hoping to hit a rift between where the water slows down, and the exposed bedrock a couple hundred feet upstream.

I wont name the location out of respect and privacy for the owners, no one wants a bunch of people bothering them on there claim. I made that mistake once and with in a week there were dozens of inexperienced red necks thinking they would do what they wanted, and go anywhere etc and bothering everyone wanting to know what was going on.

Likewise there is nothing illegal about a bonded licensed operation. Yes the rocks that have been moved are going to be put back into the stream so there are no piles. Its the same fill in your holes policy most places have, but you fill in the hole when your done. If you dont, you dont get the bond money back and the state comes in with a back hoe and does it. hence the reason for the bonding. If your in the process of digging a hole the dirt has to go somewhere for some time, especially if tis a big hole. This is not a Fill your hole at the end of the day type operation, its a fill your hole at the end of the season and while you work upstream.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoser John said:
:o OMG-anything you post publically can/will be used against you in a court a law-THAT IS ILLEGAL AS LL IN CALIFORNIA. DO NOT COPY!!!!!!!!!!!!! This will make the (*&^ environutz just happy as LL to copy and use against use a ABSOLUTE PROOF of the riparian damage and removing boulders from the streambed and chanelizing the stream. When moving boulders and all rock must be just moved downstream and not altering the streambed by doing this. I've mined/dredged/highbanked/trommels for over 50 years and we've NEVER--EVER done this. I've also never been tickeded either. 4 different operations in trinity county were nailed for this and cost many $1,000's in fines and LOSS OF YOUR ABILITY TO OBTAIN A DREDGE PERMIT"EVER",FISH & GAME WILL prosecute bigtime :tongue3: .John
And how do we know they didn't replace the boulders after they were finished?

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Yep, there's plenty of reason to be concerned about any flavor of greenies.
Be cautious.
I remember something about 'not so many feet from a shrub, bush, or tree with a diameter of more than 1" also.

And every spring thaw there was a monumental torrent that came down through and re-arranged EVERYTHING!.

It's just painful dealing with those people.

Good luck!
It's awful hard work.
Been there, done that.
NOT 60ft deep!

HH
rmptr

Wildfirefighter72

Jan 14, 2007
Colorado
All I can say is thank god I do not live in California... Keep the (*&^ environutz there! :thumbsup:

Hoser John said:

caau_miner

Jun 9, 2008
SoCal
Detector(s) used
1225X
I would have put the winch across the creek and behind the dredge away from your working area. For safety reasons run your working cable at a right angle to the creek. Drape some chain, wet blanket, lead weights on the cable. If their is a failure in the cable or equipement from the winch to the boulder the cable will fly away from the working area. The heavy objects draped on the cable will help it sit down if the cable snaps. Never ever stand near the cable when it is under load. If the cable snaps the energy is transferred to the cable and it will whip around wildly. If it strikes someone it will absolutely ruin your fine dredging operation.

Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread