ANY GOLD IN LOWER MICHIGAN!!!!!!!

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone have tips of where to dip a pan near Indian River/Cheboygan? I will be there for a few days this summer and ...

mydogisscout

Feb 25, 2010
Grand Blanc, Mi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
KevinInColorado said:
Anyone have tips of where to dip a pan near Indian River/Cheboygan? I will be there for a few days this summer and ...
any of the rivers up that way are going to show some color. look at the map for national forest land and/or state land. pay close attention to large boulders and inside bends. my best luck has been in small streams just above where they enter a larger body of water.
In reference to the gold cube, it is a wonderful piece of equipment and it does its job very well, but you don't have to run "tons" of sand to recover gold. 3 gals of black sand from lake superior yielded 1.06 Grams of gold worth roughly $55.00

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, I will do just that!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
finally found some black sand up here in the upper peninsula black as can be...on lake superior the snow run off that cuts threw the beach our lake sand shows the layering and it concentrated it in certain spots... took home about two inches in a 16 inch gold pan but can't see the gold will i need a blue bowl to separate it right or if I don't see it, it's not their, or do I need more black sand in greater amounts...please help very desperate need a better income...been watching gold fever and I caught it....

lift/loop

grzbear

Oct 18, 2007
michigan - western up
Detector(s) used
harborfreight stud finder
build yourself a rain gutter sluice with some ribbed matting ---if you got gold in that black sand ,it will catch it-----really fine though , 30 mesh and smaller

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do I mesh the black sand and then run it threw a clean up sluice....over

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has been gold found in almost river and stream in Lower Michigan but most of it is not nuggets its small flake gold but you can find honey holes holding a few ounces if your lucky enough to know where to look. I know one river that has produced pea size nuggets but just any fisherman do you give away your honey holes. Theres gold in them streams but if you dont know where to look you wont find it. The other problem with getting gold from the streams are that every natural river, natural area and designated trout stream is protected and there is NO panning, NO sluicing NOR dredging allowed. So if your going to do it yo have to get way back in away from everyone. The lower west side of the state has produced and is still producing the best gold. I am actually heading out later in the year for a week on a certain river to get some gold. You want proof I will post it up for all to see when I get back from the trip. There are a lot of people pulling gold out of the streams but again only a fool is going to tell you where they found it. Just like when I hit my favorite salmon hole every year and people pass by and ask if I had any luck, well if they dont notice my stringer then NO I havent seen a fish all day.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the general encouragement and the info. I for one respect the reluctance to share specifics especially online!

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nearly every stream in Michigan has gold, mainly the streams in the lower Michigan. One of the best producing streams is the White river and also the Huron river. Gold has been found throughout the entire Huron river system. Pea sized nuggets and larger have been found in both.

howard316

Jan 29, 2012
Clare,Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last summer a buddy of mine came up from down state,and he brought his Garrett Groundhog Metal Detector.We were doing some searching in Clare County,and came upon 7 very tiny nuggets.
So I traded him out of his metal detector,and plan on going back,and see if I can find some more.

Dane O

Mar 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a campsite north of traverse city for 5 days, and found some perdot gems a while ago in petoskey. I've also heard there can be gems found scuba diving off the coast in lake michigan as well as gold and diamonds. Is this true? Since I'm a padi level one, I've 40 feet down, I was just curious.

Swampbuckster

Mar 30, 2012
LOWER MICHIGAN
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We have been finding gold in Lower Michigan. Getting into the game and having a lot of fun doing so. Not gonna get rich or pay for the gas to get out, but the littlest flash in the pan is quite a rush!

Hickory1

Apr 12, 2012
NE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you go and do a search for finding gold in Michigan, the counties are listed. Matter of fact I just read about that today as I am in NE Wisconsin on the border of the UP of Michigan. The site I believe was gold fever? The counties were listed and most are in the UP but this does not mean that there is not gold in lower Michigan. Gold is essentially where you find it. I have found gold here in Wisconsin, NE Wisconsin....my first "find" was me merely down at the gravel pit I own taking the dogs for a swim before work (freshwater spring down there)....I looked down to grab another rock to throw and the sun caught this piece of quartz and it's gold vein just right. I went and had it tested and sure enough it is gold. Since this time, health permitting I have found nice sized garnets, gold, silver, and copper. Probably some nice sized gems that I merely have thrown back....my interest is precious metal. I even found a meteor.

Marquette has alot of gold still remaining that even washes ashore Lake Superior....you can actually see the black sand as you walk the beach! I will go online tomorrow and make sure I give you the appropriate site....but a search of "Gold prospecting in Michigan" or something similar will provide you the information.

Swampbuckster

Mar 30, 2012
LOWER MICHIGAN
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We have successfully been finding color on every trip out panning. Funny thing is though, first flake we found was the largest and the first time prospecting. A few close to comparison in size since, but just not quite. All flour gold. Most the time we are finding color below clay high banks where the runoff spills into the river and settles.

Hickory1

Apr 12, 2012
NE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Agree with you Steve, Michigan if one were to look at a geological map, regarding glacier movements, etc., it has gold. There are few states that don't have gold in the US....one is PA, and I forget the rest. it's funny that one would say there is no gold in Michigan or Wisconsin when continuously geological companies looking for gold, silver, copper, and diamonds can be seen overhead. Only one who has not researched enough on how to find gold would say there was no gold in Michigan. One walk along Lake Superior's shoreline shows black sands right there, a metal detector, good one...will bring up nuggets in a lucky place. The vast majority, more than 90% of the gold in Wisconsin and Michigan, to include diamonds, has yet to be found according to Geologists....I tend to go with their opinion.

Hickory1

Apr 12, 2012
NE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dane O.....periodot is a indicator of diamonds, often found with them.....so I recommend you get a lighted microscope of X60-X100 to better see the shape of those "cons" in your pan.....

Hickory1

Apr 12, 2012
NE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Williams, actually that is incorrect, there is more gold, diamonds, copper, and silver located in the UP of Michigan than lower Michigan. A google search of glacier movement regarding these precious metals and gems will clearly show this. Not saying there isn't any in Lower Michigan, but think about it...they are heavier than gravel so closer to the Canadian border where they came from is where they will settle in higher concentrates. Precisely why there are mines in the UP....still up and running...

shye7493

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 705 (gold pack)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ive been on 3 rivers in oakland county and we tested about 30 different areas and so far there is not any spot without gold, I have alot of glacial maps and did tons of research but seem to be finding more and bigger gold in areas it shouldnt be. Some of the better spots have about 5 ounces of lead out of 4 5gallon buckets classified to 1/4". Its all about finding them deeper holes with shallow clay bottoms as false bedrock in the areas where there is lots of bigger rocks/boulders bunched together. I get lots and lots of micro flour gold in the gravel bars with the smaller rocks and average about 5-600 pcs of gold in about 6 hrs, even with 600 pcs of gold its not enough to register a weight on my scale. its all about having fun and we meet lots of people that think were crazy untill we show them some color. I even gave out a few gold pans and ended up playing teacher a few times. If you want some good areas to prospect let me know. Im not 1 to hide my spots because I know im never gonna get it all ,you just gotta be carefull we pull about 10lbs of glass out of the water on every trip

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread