mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
ahaulil said:
Can anybody tel me how to convert this format

NW 11 750289 E 3973187N

Where did you get this, and what is the entire "sentence" that you got it from? Look for a $ sign in the sentence, and paste it here. But, just pic'in through it (without knowing the sentence structure);

The first cord indicates East (+) and North (+) would be +780289 +3973187, BUT, usually you put N/S cords first, then East/West. So, reversing it would give you
+3973187 +780289. This somewhat equates to " +39.73187 +78.0289 " or... "Urumql" provice of Asia. Without calculating the machine code to give you actual map data, this location will give you roughly a 100-300 mile radius of accuracy. If you give me the entire sentence, I can calculate it to 'readable' map data and give you the exact location that you need. Given what you have gave me, this is just a rough guess, and I might actually be on the completely wrong continent, but, if you tell me where this came from, I can narrow it down).
I wrote plenty of code to translate GPS data sentences from machine code to 'readable' formats. Again, look for the "$" sign and post that whole sentence, or what ever you have here.

EDIT: I did play around a bit with those numbers, and some of that playing around put me in Antarctica, and also in New Jersey.

OP
OP
ahaulil

ahaulil

Apr 19, 2011
North Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is the gold claims book from my local club and should be in NW Arizona.
I emailed the club and asked them what was going on...no response yet.

Sorry for the wild goose chase...

If I get a response, I will share it.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn't read your thread real hard but I believe you are looking at UTM grid, or the military version. The 11 would mean Zone 11(AZ) and the rest of the numbers is your Easting then Northing. Change your GPS settings to UTM then enter those numbers to a waypoint. Then go to it. (We'll get this figured out) TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ahaulil said:
Can anybody tel me how to convert this format

NW 11 750289 E 3973187N

into something ether Google Earth or my Delorme GPS understands.

Sorry newbie

thanks
A "quick look" at those numbers (UTM) showed the area just SE of Hoover Dam. TTC

OP
OP
ahaulil

ahaulil

Apr 19, 2011
North Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the help...I did get a long explanation from a member of the club.
It will take some time for me to learn.
Too much to do and not enough time...

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone should use UTM. It is actually easier than minutes and seconds. If you wanted to move East 300 meters, figure that in seconds or degrees. Get the point? Using UTM, just add 300 to the Easting and POOF!, you got it! As far as maps are concerned, Everyone should start thinking metric. TTC

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
TerryC said:
Everyone should use UTM. It is actually easier than minutes and seconds. If you wanted to move East 300 meters, figure that in seconds or degrees. Get the point? Using UTM, just add 300 to the Easting and POOF!, you got it! As far as maps are concerned, Everyone should start thinking metric. TTC

I'm to old and set in my thinking to start trying to figure out metric stuff

Nevada Coyote

Oct 20, 2009
Yerington, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Gold Digger, Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was a uropean I'd use metric, since I am a Sovereign Citizen of the Sovereign state of Nevada, inches, feet, and yards are the norm. I think it's time to quit thinking we should conforming to other countries standards.
Nevada Coyote

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nevada Coyote said:
If I was a uropean I'd use metric, since I am a Sovereign Citizen of the Sovereign state of Nevada, inches, feet, and yards are the norm. I think it's time to quit thinking we should conforming to other countries standards.
Nevada Coyote
If I wanted to study the stars, many years ago, it would be good to know Arabic... physical science, Russian... world politics, French. If you go to any American science lab (today), professional or high school, the measurements for distance, weight, and volume, are done in METRIC. Incidentaly, the length of a yard was the length between the (England) king's nose and his outstreached finger. How accurite is THAT? America's military ALL use metric. And that's good enough for me! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread