Just bought a New Handheld GPS.

CoastalSChunter

Oct 5, 2011
Well, i just bought me a new handheld GPS, been wanting one for awhile, and taking up the new hobby with the wife on board gave me an excuse to buy one :)
here is the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360383458219?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
i looked here as well as a couple other places, and this model kecominging up as a good all around uniI'm im sure that its not the best, but sure is better than what i have now, NOTHING! lol

is there any specific maps that i should look for that would aid in the MD hobby?

thanks
Justin

OP
OP
C

CoastalSChunter

Oct 5, 2011
hmm, there are words in there that didn’t make sense, not sire how that happened, and my apologies.

corrected words,
** kept coming and **Unit

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CoastalSChunter said:
Well, i just bought me a new handheld GPS, been wanting one for awhile, and taking up the new hobby with the wife on board gave me an excuse to buy one :)
here is the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360383458219?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
i looked here as well as a couple other places, and this model kecominging up as a good all around uniI'm im sure that its not the best, but sure is better than what i have now, NOTHING! lol

is there any specific maps that i should look for that would aid in the MD hobby?

thanks
Justin
Justin, The unit you bought is good. I like Garmins. You did not make it clear... are you looking for maps to load onto the unit? If so, I suggest not. The screen is not large enough to get good perspective. If you are asking about maps, as in paper.... I suggest USGS 7 1/2 minute series. You can also buy NATGEO TOPO 4 series software...state by state. VERY GOOD. Entire state of quads (2000 to 4000 maps) for 50 dollars. You can print them out on your printer for personal use. TTC

OP
OP
C

CoastalSChunter

Oct 5, 2011
thanks Terry, yes i should have cleared that up a little.
i was talking about maps for the GPS itself.
You know i have been searching high and low for some good maps, contacted the Library of Congress and everything, but i cant find the maps i want.
I have used Google and cant find anything that im looking for, the map search has turned out to be more difficult than the actual hunt lol

In the are i live, (within 15miles in all directions) date back b4 the 1700's in some areas, while im not looking for every single detail, im merely looking for maps that will show me, old settlements, bridges, roads and other interesting locations like that. however all i can find is Charleston maps and that’s what the lady from the LOC sent me. and i was very clear and even gave names of places i wanted.
there is al OLD Parrish called St.Stephen parish, that dates back well into the 1700's, cant find anything useful on it, now mind you im not saying that my searched have been in vain, because i may not be looking in the correct places or even looking at the correct maps, for instance the maps you just told me to check out, i have no idea what 7 1/2 minuet means, forgive my ignorance on this issue, however 40$ heck ill just buy the maps that you spok of (Natgeo topo 4) and check those out.
I did just purchase 3 maps from Goldbug, it came off the south carolina site about historical aerials and topos. so i just bought 3 of those including a cd with maps on it as well. so i hope that with having all these (including the one you just told me about) that i will have some useful information. Semper Fi

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CoastalSChunter said:
Yes Justin, those are the ones. The 7 1/2 minute maps are those that are usually stacked up at your local "adventure" store (hiking or large outdoor sports store). There is usually an index next to the stack. The TOPO 4 series takes ALL the maps for that state and puts them together on the software for $50 a state. You can print them out at the same scale as those you buy. At 6 or 7 dollars a map, you can see the wisdom of buying the equivalent of 3000 to 4000 maps for 50 dollars! If you print them on "plastic" paper, you can even "swim" with them. Try that with real paper. When I do my GPS classes, I bring several maps printed on the plastic paper and the guys LOVE 'em. As for using your GPS with downloaded maps, NOT a good idea. If your GPS fails... runs out of batteries... you may lose the ability to find your way back to camp. NOTHING should replace the hard copy map.... for safety reasons, in the field. TTC

OP
OP
C

CoastalSChunter

Oct 5, 2011
Thanks Terry,
GPS classes you say? really, how mite one go about getting in on one of those?
I finally found some maps last night that are really good, i found 2 that i can use, my question is of course, how can i find out where the old settlements were/are now?
i can look @ Google earth, but i really need to overlay the maps to get a better idea, because one could wonder in the woods for ever trying to guess.
How would you suggest going about pinpointing the couple of locations?
i can provide the maps to you if you’d like to take a look. Honestly the roads are in about the same place, so it shouldn’t be that difficult for one who has done it before.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the electronic world of handheld GPS.

I have the Garmin Etrex and just used it yesterday. You can buy maps to download for your area, I put in California Topo and use it alot. What's nice is you can go to an unfamiliar area and just mark where your truck is for easy recovery. Carrying a paper map is quick and useful as well. I happen to use National Geographic but I suppose there are many available.

Have you found the geocache site yet? http://www.geocaching.com/
You will be amazed how many caches are hid near you. Its a fun way to get familiar with your machine.

Enjoy and Carry Extra Batteries!

OP
OP
C

CoastalSChunter

Oct 5, 2011
calisdad said:
Welcome to the electronic world of handheld GPS.

I have the Garmin Etrex and just used it yesterday. You can buy maps to download for your area, I put in California Topo and use it alot. What's nice is you can go to an unfamiliar area and just mark where your truck is for easy recovery. Carrying a paper map is quick and useful as well. I happen to use National Geographic but I suppose there are many available.

Have you found the geocache site yet? http://www.geocaching.com/
You will be amazed how many caches are hid near you. Its a fun way to get familiar with your machine.

Enjoy and Carry Extra Batteries!

Cali,

I did look at that site actually.
However i didn’t stay to long, i stumbled across that site trying to find out if there was such a thing as points that somebody else had already marked that would be good for a hunt in my area.
I will look into that site a little more, however is there anything there that would benefit TH/MD hobby? If so im in, i have a few points id like to locate now, but again, im not sure how to properly transfer old locations on to the new Google earth or the gps maps. i can look at the to maps, but i cant be to far off because i know how the woods are here and there so thick navigating aimlessly is a complete waste of time and near impossible.

im still trying to figure out how to use Google earth to locate places to hunt, i have found a few interesting spots, but its quite a ways off the beaten path, so i want to be sure that its something of interest before i go out.

justin

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CoastalSChunter said:
Thanks Terry,
GPS classes you say? really, how mite one go about getting in on one of those?
Justin. I give those classes... on a random basis... usually at an LDMA location. VERY basic... how to "mark" a location then find it on the map. How to change a mark and "go to" it. real simple stuff. Whoaw Justin. Don't send any maps. Now you're starting to talk about WORK! I'm allergic to work. Also, finding old sites in the woods has very little to do with the type of map used. Finding very obscure sites in the woods is a "finnesse" thing that only comes with time and experience. Go out to the suspect location. Look for any non-indiginous vegetation, hopefully in straight rows, gardens, hedges. Maybe a slightly raised (or lowered) foundation. These kind of sights is where "trash" can help you find the place. Old pics of an area will go far. When using Google Earth, zoom in or out till GE is the same scale as the map you are using. Look for open meadows. Wire fences that have been under the grass for a hundred years or more. In summary: Buddy up with someone who's "been there, done that". Learn to use UTM measurements on the map. Easier to use than yards and miles. Hope I've helped. Two hours doing research on the kitchen table is worth more than all day busting around in the woods. But BOTH are required! Good luck. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CoastalSChunter said:
i can look @ Google earth, but i really need to overlay the maps to get a better idea, because one could wonder in the woods for ever trying to guess.
How would you suggest going about pinpointing the couple of locations?
Justin, try this "trick" to overlay maps onto GE areal views... open GE. Open a map pic or software. Zoom in or out with the GE view till it matches the map pic. You do this by "flipping" back and forth between the two views and zooming till both are the same size. Read the lat/lon indicator at the bottom of GE to transpose the location of your target onto the map.

Butch In SC

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2012
Mt. Pleasant, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 w/SunRay FX-1
Tesoro Sand Shark w/10.5" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks Terry, yes i should have cleared that up a little.
i was talking about maps for the GPS itself.
You know i have been searching high and low for some good maps, contacted the Library of Congress and everything, but i cant find the maps i want.
I have used Google and cant find anything that im looking for, the map search has turned out to be more difficult than the actual hunt lol

In the are i live, (within 15miles in all directions) date back b4 the 1700's in some areas, while im not looking for every single detail, im merely looking for maps that will show me, old settlements, bridges, roads and other interesting locations like that. however all i can find is Charleston maps and that’s what the lady from the LOC sent me. and i was very clear and even gave names of places i wanted.
there is al OLD Parrish called St.Stephen parish, that dates back well into the 1700's, cant find anything useful on it, now mind you im not saying that my searched have been in vain, because i may not be looking in the correct places or even looking at the correct maps, for instance the maps you just told me to check out, i have no idea what 7 1/2 minuet means, forgive my ignorance on this issue, however 40$ heck ill just buy the maps that you spok of (Natgeo topo 4) and check those out.
I did just purchase 3 maps from Goldbug, it came off the south carolina site about historical aerials and topos. so i just bought 3 of those including a cd with maps on it as well. so i hope that with having all these (including the one you just told me about) that i will have some useful information. Semper Fi

Hi CoastalSChunter,

We have to be fairly close to each other. I live in Mount Pleasant and have been detecting and researching Lowcountry historical (read that as pre-Civil War) sites for many years. I am getting ready for retirement in a couple of months and looking forward to doing the legwork required for my research. I just bought a Fisher F70 & I'm waiting for the temperature to drop some and for the bugs & snakes to disappear for the winter.

Butch

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I looked at the megellan 400 but got the garman etrex 30 instead because of the compass for one but all the other features also. Cost $100 more than yours did but I have always liked the Garmins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread