Free BLM land ownership maps, Topos, and Gold Maps online

JasonG

Nov 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
GPZ, GPX, CoRe, GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, a friend recommended I post the mapping app I built here. I made it for mining and prospecting but it's useful for all kinds of exploring and treasure hunting too. It's all free, you just need the Google Earth web plugin (also free) to make it work, there will be a link to download it if your browser doesn't already have it pre-installed.

Here is the link: Virtual Prospector

I've got BLM surface ownership maps, USGS topos, US placer gold locations, international gold mines/prospects, meteorite maps, geology maps, rare earth element maps, and lots more.

I've got permission to add the Rumsey historical maps too, so soon you'll be able to browse those overlayed on Google Earth imagery or any other map layers. I've used them to find new locations for relic hunting and coin shooting.

If anyone has an additional layer they want added, let me know! It has to be a free source though because I want to keep this app free for all to use. Be aware that some of the geology layers are quite large (50mb) and may take a long time to load before appearing, depending on the speed of your internet connection.

Mods, I hope it's ok for me to post this link here, please accept my apologies if not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JasonG

JasonG

Nov 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
GPZ, GPX, CoRe, GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I added some historic US maps and topos to Virtual Prospector. Useful for both prospecting and relic hunting! You can overlay our gold placer locations, mines, prospects, etc onto these maps.

These are used with permission from the Rumsey Map collection which is a great map resource for those who haven't seen it yet, you can browse his full collections there, I've included only the more relevant ones. Enjoy! 8-)

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so far having problems with it. Will keep trying.

OP
OP
JasonG

JasonG

Nov 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
GPZ, GPX, CoRe, GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casca, let me know what the issue is and I will see if I can help.

Let me add here real quick: Virtual Prospector is not yet compatible with Linux based systems or mobile devices like iPhone or Android. This is because Google hasn't released a plugin for them yet, hopefully soon!

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome tool! Wish they had data for other states. Thanks for sharing!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wondering where laconia is

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great tool, Jason. Much appreciated. Sometimes I have trouble getting the mines and prospects to come up, but overall it works OK.
Many thanks,
Jim

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So far this is a great tool.
Thanks.

mapman

Jun 10, 2006
Lakewood, Colorado
I have found that on the BLM site blm.gov If you pick surveys and you can either ask for original survey or even homestead applications and get some real old maps with building locations on them. Some states call them rectangular surveys. In Utah you have to search by township and range number. i would be glad to tutor any one who would like help. On a site for Nevada they had some survey notes which said gold bearing quarts off to the left.

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mapman I could use some help, looked did not see surveys anyplace......LOL blind maybe.

I am looking Mohave county, Arizona

Jim

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its working now, not sure how to read what Im seeing. Will be using this a lot.

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone that uses the BLM Survey/Plat maps might have a quick answer.

I'm looking at some 1800's Plat maps in Nevada, and I don't seem to be able to determine what one square on the map equates to in distance? The Plat map is gridded out in Sections, starting with Sec1 and ending in Sec36.

The two Plat maps I downloaded do not show any indication (that I can tell) of distance for a reference.

Anyone have any idea? If I could determine the distance one of their Sec squares covers, it would be a big help to determine where some sites may be located.

Thanks!
Brian

CyHawkGold

Oct 19, 2017
The Land Between Two Rivers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Brian,

I see no one has responded to your question. I'll give it a stab.

In the USA most maps were based on the Public Land Survey System (PLSS)
that used section lines one mile apart.
One mile by one mile equals 640 acres or a section of land.
A typical township has 36 sections, 6 x6, unless a major geographic feature like a river, mountain, plateau or border of the county or state interferes.

Often the counties built roads on the section lines when the land was reasonbly level.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Plat maps are not intended to be a physical representation of what you will see on the ground. Plat maps only show the abstract concept of land management and use cases. You won't see roads, rivers or towns on a Plat map but sometimes you will see some indication of their management and use.

Each numbered square on the plat represents the abstract concept of a Section. Sections are, in a perfect world, one mile square. Often a true one mile square is not possible so the Section is broken down by Government Lots on the North and/or West sides. These Government Lots are designated as L1, L2 etc and each Lot has an additional notation showing the exact acreage of the Lot. There is no scale to show distance because the map is not drawn to scale.

The Public Land Survey System (PLSS) was established by law in 1785 even before the Constitution. The Township, Ranges and Sections of the PLSS are intended to be a regular division of the land so that everyone can know the actual location of a plot of land. It beats the heck out of "10 miles or so past Ben's barn and a little east of the big oak" that would be in use otherwise. The PLSS is an ongoing effort (233 years now) and new and realigned surveys are being completed every month. There is a lot of land out there and the

The PLSS itself is tied to the on the ground reality by the survey pins mounted on two corners of each surveyed Section. Not all Sections have been surveyed so even those mile apart ground pins may not actually exist.

So the upshot of all this is that the Title Plats are a management tool and simple representation of land status. It's only tie to the reality of what you will find on the ground are those PLSS pins.It's pretty much necessary to have other maps that represent the physical world to understand what the Plat designations actually represent.

Myself and several other clever good looking people have put together a non profit website Land Matters that puts all these different elements together in one place. To better understand the PLSS and Plats there are several books and videos in the Tutorial section. For interactive maps that display the PLSS, platting and the physical world a good starting point would be the Land Status Maps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions