New Gps tracking app for the metal detectorist.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This really sounds neat. I have not read all the replies but now it sounds like it is time to get. Problem is I am in Japan right now on a Japanese laptop and some things do not translate into English. Besides I do not turn on my cell in Japan. ATT loves to overcharge for roaming and data over here. I will be back by the end of the month to see all about it.

by the way the cost here is 430 yen, about $4.30

OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Garrett Pro pointer, Tect O Trak
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A small update is available .. (version 5.10)

* Now with support for tablets.
* Added more track marker colors and styles
* Updated for Android 6.0
* The torch is now available from the main menu.

To find out more about Tect O Trak, please visit:-
http://historyhunters.co.uk/tectotrak

HH,& Good luck.

OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tect O Trak update to version 5.12

It is now possible to give a title and full description to photos taken with the desktop ( gallery) camera.

For the uninformed..
question.png
Tect O Trak had two types of camera. There is a' Find' camera. (clodcam) which is used when recording a find live at location. There is also a stand alone desktop gallery camera. This is where you can showcase your best cleaned and presented finds.

HH

OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For users of Tect O Trak..

DID YOU KNOW? ( You will if you have read the user guide properly, but it seems few do...) :BangHead: :laughing7:

'Locating method' needs to be set to GPS ONLY. This is very important.

The alternative High accuracy mode uses a combination of GPS, WiFi, and mobile networks to estimate your location. Often these will conflict with each other, resulting in a jumpy and jagged track. Using GPS ONLY MODE, will give a much smoother and consistent track.

Ideally, you should turn on both gps and Tect O Trak at least five minutes before you actually start detecting/recording. This will give the gps time to get a good moving fix on you, and you will benefit from a more accurate starting point..

HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
REVISED ADVICE ON GPS SETTINGS
Following my recent advice to use the GPS only setting, I have had feedback from users saying that they prefer the high accuracy mode. So my advice now is to try both methods and see which suits your device best. 8-)

HH

OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am very pleased to announce that following a successful crowd funding campaign, Tect O Trak for iOS is now in development and will be published early November. :icon_thumleft:
For those on Facebook, you can stay in the loop here :- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1569584126596648/

Last edited:

ucvrelics.com

Nov 3, 2014
Birmingham Al
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD
Nautilus DMC 2b 15 inch head
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ive had it since you came out with it and its a great tool. It has been very helpful in mapping out the hunt site in the CS winter camp I'm currently digging. The photo feature would be nice but I just use the item feature to annotate I button, fire pit, hunt site etc. When I overlay the map after I get home it really helps show the hot spots and where they are so now I don't have to us the little flags. It is a data and power hog but well worth the extra cost of data until I get an upgraded plan for unlimited data.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This app is by far the best out I have been using it for couple years now seems like more information use it everytime I go out and when u come back to a place it's awesome knowing where you were what you found 5 stars

OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a data and power hog but well worth the extra cost of data until I get an upgraded plan for unlimited data.

Hi Uc.. Glad your finding the app useful. I'm surprised you think its a data hog? Tect O Trak is actually designed to run in flight mode if required. No data connection is required. You just need to pre plan and mark out the area you intend to hunt before you leave home using your wifi. This will cache the map for offline use. You can't always be sure of a data connection especially if you're going somewhere new so I recommend users always pre plan their hunts.

Good luck with the campsite hunt. Sounds interesting.

Cheers,
Mark.

OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Christo.. :)
Btw.. You've been using it nearly 4 years. You were one of the pioneers. Time flies when you're having fun :)

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look forward to trying out the iOS version. Thanks for taking the time and effort to make it happen!

OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here ya go Rob!

I am very pleased to announce that following a successful a crowdfunding campaign by the metal detecting community of Facebook, the iOS version of Tect O Trak has now been published, and is available here:-

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tect-o-trak/id1175005465?ls=1&mt=8

Happy Hunting :)

I downloaded it tonight. What is the reason behind it using the gps even when the app isn't running? I see no reason at all for this as it is a battery hog.
It's 6 degrees here and we are snow covered so I will give it a spin as soon as I can dig.
Accuracy is within about 15-20 feet of my actual location.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Sorry if this has been asked..."How much data to it consume?" My phone plan only has 1GB, which is enough for what I normally do. I assume it's always pinging locations if not a lot more requiring data. Hope it doesn't I like it.

OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@Vic. It is a recently launched crowdfunded project. Hence no reviews yet. Users dictate the direction it takes, and are expected to contribute towards it's development. I subsidise the Android version, but I can't do both. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@Mr Mckinney. A data connection isn't required as long as you mark out the intended search area before you leave home. This will cache the required maps. Even if you were to load the map at location, you would only have to do it once per new search area, which would be less than 1mb. And how often would you need to create a new search area? Data usage is minimal and can be zero if you plan ahead. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@Rob. I don't know why it asks for that permission. I can assure you once the app is closed, its closed. I will ask the coder. I'm not Apple user myself so I don't know what's 'usual'

Regarding gps accuracy. I have no control over how accurate your devices gps is but it should be a lot better 15-20 feet! Are you near buildings or under trees? GPS needs an open sky for best performance.

All iphones are the same, if it works for one, it should work for all. We are still tweaking gps settings, but you should at least
be able achieve something like this.

IMG_0085.PNG

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@Rob. I don't know why it asks for that permission. I can assure you once the app is closed, its closed. I will ask the coder. I'm not Apple user myself so I don't know what's 'usual'

Regarding gps accuracy. I have no control over how accurate your devices gps is but it should be a lot better 15-20 feet! Are you near buildings or under trees? GPS needs an open sky for best performance.

All iphones are the same, if it works for one, it should work for all. We are still tweaking gps settings, but you should at least
be able achieve something like this.

View attachment 1406285

I've been having problems with the app not tracking when it's minimized. I talked to Mark about it and we are trying to work it out. Kinda rough having the app open in your hand walking around when your swinging the coil. GPS works fine in other apps so I know it's not the location or the phone.
I live on an 86 acre farm and it does it right in the middle of a field.

OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Rob,

It definitely does work when minimised, it's integral to the design. I can't think why you alone are having that problem. :( But we WILL get to the bottom of it. I have just published an update for the gps. It's in review by Apple at the moment, and should be available from this evening . The update will retroactively correct any previous errors with the tracking. It is possible that all your tracks will suddenly appear! Let's see if it makes any difference.. We will pick it up from there. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread