Prospecting
Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you will find that the QUADS topos are more accurate, have more features and greater detail Alex. You can download the kml file for Google Earth from that link for free.

I would caution you against using the USGS geo maps directly without first considering their size and load speeds in Google Earth. Some of the smaller states may be usable but the bigger states and the national version are so large Google Earth tends to choke and die before the whole file can load. The national version is 764 megabytes (3/4 gigabyte) and is unlikely to load on most computers. These maps were designed as shapefiles for full professional mapping programs and the reduced feature set Google Earth kml version is a poor substitute for the full version in my experience. YMMV

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you will find that the QUADS topos are more accurate, have more features and greater detail Alex. You can download the kml file for Google Earth from that link for free.

I would caution you against using the USGS geo maps directly without first considering their size and load speeds in Google Earth. Some of the smaller states may be usable but the bigger states and the national version are so large Google Earth tends to choke and die before the whole file can load. The national version is 764 megabytes (3/4 gigabyte) and is unlikely to load on most computers. These maps were designed as shapefiles for full professional mapping programs and the reduced feature set Google Earth kml version is a poor substitute for the full version in my experience. YMMV

Cool thanks Clay, I did save a list of quad maps for the area I want to eventually go but I haven't tried loading one yet. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense as I can see the lag from the large files happening. I am looking at Alaska and using the PLLS layers in GE but I have to use the AKMapper program and their look up systems LAS etc to look at specifics on an area.

I have the quads page and I think they are maybe pre loaded into AKMapper once I learn better how to use it but I would like the quads in GE too. I just see tiff files am I missing where the kml version is on this page or am I just at the wrong page altogether or tif files work somehow:)?

I realize I can do specific search for a quad I think I just rather go from this list as it has them all if these work in GE somehow.

I feel I might be at the wrong page to find kml versions, any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Page I am at:

http://agdc.usgs.gov/data/usgs/geodata/drg/temp/drglist_A.html

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can get a direct download of the QUADS kml HERE. It's less than 4 kB.

This covers all 50 states and Puerto Rico. You have a choice of two USGS topo map displays as well as hydrography and direct download of Topo maps.

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you so much, I saved the link and will check it out on my laptop later. I think this is exactly what I was looking for, your the man!

What is the point of the tif files in the link I posted?Who uses them and for what lol? Are they mostly used for overlays or do they have a use I'm missing other than to print or overlay. Not that important just curious and trying to make sense of all the crazy info available:)

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you so much, I saved the link and will check it out on my laptop later. I think this is exactly what I was looking for, your the man!

What is the point of the tif files in the link I posted?Who uses them and for what lol? Are they mostly used for overlays or do they have a use I'm missing other than to print or overlay. Not that important just curious and trying to make sense of all the crazy info available:)

Those Tiff files are full resolution georefrenced images. They are big and unwieldy but they are the basis for all the "satellite" (really aerial photos) and elevation files used to make maps. They are the base layers in modern interactive maps.

There are other file formats in use but the Tiff is the gold standard for the digital mapmaker.

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you I tried the ArcGis a little you mentioned in the other thread and read the tutorial. I then noticed in the Alaska Mapper program they let you put in the shape file and a couple of others and it loaded perfectly I couldn't believe it. So I assume this AK mapper is a GIS program sort of?

I can see why gold exploration/mining is so expensive, look at all the things involved before a shovel ever hits the ground to find out if it's even open for the shovel! Also why are all the places I look at in the middle of nowhere closed under a mineral order or a monument haha.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ArcGis is not the same as Qgis Alex. Qgis is much more capable and flexible. You won't get very far with ArcGis before ESRI starts asking for money or changing versions so your previous work is unusable.

All the online interactive mapping systems are GIS programs of varying ability. Google and Google Earth are GIS programs too. The reason to use Qgis is that it's much faster, you own the results of your efforts, more tools and more flexibility and last, but certainly not least, you won't be constantly tracked and your personal efforts won't be sold to the highest bidder like with Google.

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got it thank you so much it's starting to make a lot more sense now. It would have probably taken me years to figure out which program I should actually be using, or I would have ended up with lost or corrupted work after putting in a bunch of time so thanks again for putting me on the right track!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread