Dealing with sulfieds?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smash--cook--hit with cold water to crackle some more-cook--hit with cold water again--grind and table-John

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
not to hijack your thread, but sulfates are something that kills yeast in wines, beer, etc., so they will stop producing Co2.
My brother makes home made wines (from the Ozark waters that stream across his land in Arkansas), and he makes pure wine without any sulfates.

-The positive is, is that there is no hangover.

-The negative is, is that if you keep it for many months, the yeast will continue to create pressure on the cork and ruin your carpet with wine when the cork busts open.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
mikeofaustin said:
not to hijack your thread, but sulfates are something that kills yeast in wines, beer, etc., so they will stop producing Co2.
My brother makes home made wines (from the Ozark waters that stream across his land in Arkansas), and he makes pure wine without any sulfates.

-The positive is, is that there is no hangover.

-The negative is, is that if you keep it for many months, the yeast will continue to create pressure on the cork and ruin your carpet with wine when the cork busts open.

I'm sure your brother makes some fine hoosegow sqeez'ins . I'd like to try a jar one day . But .......... ???

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you on this one Takoda. What does wine have to do with the price of tomatoes? ::)

jimmygoat

Dec 1, 2009
Northern Cal.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D-5 inch dredge
Chris, for a small amount of sulphides you can crush to -100 mesh in porcelain mortar. Place ore in plastic or pyrex, cover ore with 5 times its volume of dilute nitric acid(15%reagent grade nitric and 85% deionized water). Stir occasionally. Add acid slowly. Let stand at room temp. for at least 16 hours. This should release the gold. It is important to know the gold particle size which requires a good microscope. If you use a iron mortar use a magnet to remove the iron before you use the acid. Jimmygoat

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I agree with Jimmygoat, But be sure to get all the Iron out or you will have an adverse reaction especially if the container is covered. The acid will react with the iron and release nitrogen gass which is noxious and very flamable.

Just a heads up.
I suggest doing this in a well ventalated area.

solarsmith

Mar 27, 2016
Denver
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
use a froth flotation method it can get close to 100 % recovery. you will first have to grind to 80% minus 200. or smooth as silk between the fingers. almost no grit.
what is you head ore grade? fire assay? Bryan in Denver Colorado

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
use a froth flotation method it can get close to 100 % recovery. you will first have to grind to 80% minus 200. or smooth as silk between the fingers. almost no grit.
what is you head ore grade? fire assay? Bryan in Denver Colorado

The original post was made December 2009 and last response before yours was January 2010.

solarsmith

Mar 27, 2016
Denver
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
are you saying he used the acid idea and now cant post on the internet cause he is dead? :BangHead:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nope but his last post on this forum was in 2013.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread