High Grade Ore Found

Fossikker

Jun 16, 2011
I've been researching and scouting an area in Nevada for about 5 years now. Last week it finally paid off. I was actually pointed in the right direction over a cup of coffee by an elderly gent who worked the mines for over forty years from New Mexico to Nevada as a powder monkey, and is now a local resident. It took two days but after locating the mine quite a ways up the canyon, I found where they had stock piled some high grade ore. It was covered with about six inches of pine needles and the trees and bushes were growing up out of it. Judging by the size of the trees I'd guess that it's been there for 60 to 70 years. Maybe more. So far I've identified Acanthite, Native Silver, Proustite, Chalcopyrite, Gold, Tennantite, Pyrargyrite, and a couple others. Sent off a couple of pounds to the assayer Monday and I'm anxious to see the results.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,084
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,689
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 1,187
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 685
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 697
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 668

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go, guy!!! That looks like some good stuff.
I hunt coins/stuff in S. Korea. My partner and I are researching old gold mining sites here....using military maps, etc.
Have found tailings, but nothing yet. The Japanese took much back to Japan with them while they were still here,
1910 - 1945.
Hope the stuff you found works out for you. Let us know.... :thumbsup:

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those look promising, Good Luck & Welcome. :thumbsup:

Fossis...............

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep us posted on the results of the test...good luck.

NJ

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure Net!!

Good looking ore samples. I sincerely hope that it turns out great.
Let us know what the assay says.

Eagle

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Metal Detector

Just curious if this ore causes a response to a metal detector or not? I'm in Colorado with lots of mines and tailings but seems most of the ores do not respond to a metal detector due to the precious metal being combined with other elements that do not change the inductance properties of the search coil. Fire assay is only sure way to determine precious metal values.

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Acanthite is the low-temperature modification of silver sulphide.

Proustite (mineral), a sulfosalt mineral, silver arsenic sulfide (Ag 3 AsS 3), that is an important source of silver. Its color is a bright scarlet red to reddish orange and is distinctive. At times cut for gemstones, but is too soft for everyday wear.

Chalcopyrite is a copper. iron. sulfide mineral. It is an important ore of copper. Chalcopyrite is one of the minerals refered to as "Fool's Gold" because of its bright golden color. Still, a major source of copper in several U.S. states.

Tennantite is a copper arsenic sulfosalt mineral. It is grey-black, steel-gray, iron-gray or black in color.

Pyrargyrite is a sulfosalt mineral consisting of silver sulfantimonide. Known also as dark red silver ore or ruby silver, it is an important source of the metal. (Silver)

So, basically from what you have identified, what you seem to have is Copper/Silver ore. And though it's not uncommon to find gold in with these minerals, I'd hazard a guess that the ore would be worth more as Copper and secondly as Silver.

The Native Silver is interesting in as much as there would be a minimal amount of processing involved. Since I use Silver in my jewelry, I'd be "tickled pink" to have a claim such as you've discribed. Hope there's a lot of that "high-grade ore.)

Good luck, and please keep us informed.

Eagle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread