Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found this at an old homesite, just North of Cincinnati. It sets the detector off, and is not magnetic. It seems to have little white flecks in it. It's not very heavy. Thanks! Oh, I should add that the green you see in the pics is algae, not part of the rock.

View attachment 790771 View attachment 790772 View attachment 790773

Bryan,,,, what you have there is Welded Tuff ( Spewed up volcanic ash and a recompression under pressure and time) a type of Bentonite. Gealogical Fault from Earthquake Ash.jpg weldedtuff.jpg
ok so no volcanoes in cincinnati?? well you have the "Cincinnati Arch" which was a giant eruption several 100 million years ago when Pangea separated into the continents we know today, then ice-burgs/flows un-earthed it for us today. cinArch.gif the Shiny in it is mica.. this is easy to cut (for rock) so alot of countries have used it in construction of homes. it has alot of Iron and other metals in it but is also permeable to other minerals in the surrounding area making it a sponge (especially to iron)

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks so much! Do you think most of the gold is concentrated in the yellow vein looking areas? Reason I ask is when I first crack them open there is A LOT of flour gold flake in those areas mainly. The rocks have been rinsed in pictures I posted here. Those areas are almost crunchy and dull after I rinse the yellow flour muck off but they still sparkle when I look at the areas with my magnifier specks on and really shimmer under a 10x loupe. Btw you mentioned you'd crush it regardless, if you're interested or know someone else who may be, let me know cause I've got hundreds of pounds of it and I know it needs chemical refining something I know nothing about. I've got someone in Florida who I just started working with who knows those methods but I've got way more than he can handle. I can mail a bit to whoevers interested to make sure its worth their while and take it from there.
Again thanks for your time and expertise!

Hope to hear back from you soon.
Suzanne

Well i have more n i can handle too! lol but i could definately help in theareas of crushing, and chemical Cleaning.. I use Aqua Regia (yields 999.997% pure gold.. and the setup can be cheap. and check out my grinder for 36$ post... any help i could give you at any time just pm me .. and ill try to come up with a solution! GL and Good find!

chriseneim

May 5, 2013
Yea it's really shiny even with no light. Also it is heavier then some of my big rocks kinda a trip. I clean pools up there so I will be up there tomorrow so I'm going to check out the spot more. There is also huge rose quarts spread out down the dry wash. Here is about her rock I got from same place

Attachments

• image-1994835539.jpg
    image-1994835539.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 444

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bryan,,,, what you have there is Welded Tuff ( Spewed up volcanic ash and a recompression under pressure and time) a type of Bentonite. View attachment 791064 View attachment 791065
ok so no volcanoes in cincinnati?? well you have the "Cincinnati Arch" which was a giant eruption several 100 million years ago when Pangea separated into the continents we know today, then ice-burgs/flows un-earthed it for us today. View attachment 791071 the Shiny in it is mica.. this is easy to cut (for rock) so alot of countries have used it in construction of homes. it has alot of Iron and other metals in it but is also permeable to other minerals in the surrounding area making it a sponge (especially to iron)

Thanks Dusted! Makes sense about being used for building. It has one flat side that looks like it may have been cut, and it was near a bunch of old bricks around the homesite!

Appreciate your help!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's on e for you, Dusted. I already know. TimC and I collected a few pounds of it in AZ Sunday. The survey marker and white mineral (selenite) are clues. TTC

Attachments

• gem1.jpg
    gem1.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 423
  • gem2.jpg
    gem2.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 385
  • Survey.jpg
    Survey.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 352
  • selenite.jpg
    selenite.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 370
OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Terry! ya picture #1 and #2 remind me of Albite (Var: Oligoclase) a type of Feldspar light blue?? NAICE! only place ive ever seen light blue feldspar is in kenya... odd... picture #4 is definately selenite (desert rose) a variety of gypsum (CaSO4·2H2O) I tried to hunt down the survey in #3 but got side tracked .. next to that survey is a Spar Baryte (spelled Barite on the mine) so now my guess has gone to the Doctrine of the area and i'm gona say Spar-baryte ... altho i really like Celestite for it too 240px-6158M-barite2.jpg celestite.jpg ... CLose?? hehe Nice find!

pantowin

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2013
curious find for me

found this and was curious what you think the shiny is

Attachments

• IMAG0205.jpg
    IMAG0205.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 275
  • IMAG0202.jpg
    IMAG0202.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 275
  • IMAG0203.jpg
    IMAG0203.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 324
  • IMAG0204.jpg
    IMAG0204.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 284
OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Pan! well what you have there is a schist with mica... but don't despair! this is the exact same type is what i found my vein in .. the heavy mineralization with the influx of quarts leads to good mineral pockets that do contain copper, lead , gold , silver and hematite. I would crunch that rock to powder (and oddly you'll find "good looking stuff" inside the vein, stuff my wife wont let me crush). in your rock ,, im seeing Iron Talc, Valleriite, schist , quartz, and a lill hematite. I would break it down the quartz seam and see if you got any mineralization crystals. mine started there and ended with IMG_20130210_211255_026.jpg IMG_20130221_222419_867.jpg IMG_20130509_195858_839.jpg .. god SPOT to Get some ore! let me know if you need any help with Crushing, or the Aqua Regia process to get it off the rock! GL and have fun!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Terry! ya picture #1 and #2 remind me of Albite (Var: Oligoclase) a type of Feldspar light blue?? NAICE! only place ive ever seen light blue feldspar is in kenya... odd... picture #4 is definately selenite (desert rose) a variety of gypsum (CaSO4·2H2O) I tried to hunt down the survey in #3 but got side tracked .. next to that survey is a Spar Baryte (spelled Barite on the mine) so now my guess has gone to the Doctrine of the area and i'm gona say Spar-baryte ... altho i really like Celestite for it too View attachment 793390 View attachment 793391 ... CLose?? hehe Nice find!
Here is more... dustedyou. It is fluorite. Green-blue variety. Found at a popular collecting site listed as Site # 20, in the included book. Although the description says not able to get even quads up to it, my Wrangler did it with ease. REQUIRES 4x4 and spotter to turn the vehicle around on NARROW tract. Again... NARROW tract. I am not even a little educated as far as geology goes so I cannot tell if your suggestions are close to the mark. Site is 20 miles south of Aguila, AZ on (edit) Eagle Eye Rd. Go find some and ENJOY! TTC

Attachments

• bearce.jpg
    bearce.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 313
  • fluorite1.jpg
    fluorite1.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let's try this... TTC

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
Sonora - Rio Yaqui - Black Rock.preview.jpg hi, can you help me identify this rock outcrop. im having difficulty posting. hope this works because i have a lot more. thanks in advance.

Lucky Gator

May 10, 2013
Montana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a small collection of rocks, actually a couple of pieces of quartz that have been busted up by my future geologist son. I believe I see copper, Pyrite and gold in the quartz, but would like a more experienced eye to take a look. I even have thought I saw a little silver in them. Regradless, I think the area this came from will be a nice place to prospect, and whether I find anything or not, the time with my 8 year old will be worth a lot more than 1,450 an ounce PIC_0596_edited-1.JPG :icon_thumleft:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"LUCKY" Gator indeed! My only son "went home" at age 35. Enjoy them now, buddy. TTC

Lucky Gator

May 10, 2013
Montana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am sorry for your loss TerryC. I am definitely following your advice and enjoying every moment for sure! Was your son in the military?
"LUCKY" Gator indeed! My only son "went home" at age 35. Enjoy them now, buddy. TTC

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gator,

Looks like you might have some Azurite in there as well. Look for really deep blue, turquoise like inclusions. Deep green will be Malachite. One of the reasons I love copper is because of all the various forms it comes in. Turquoise, Chrysocolla, Azurite, Malachite and of course, native copper!
Copper Nugget.jpg

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sorry for your loss TerryC. I am definitely following your advice and enjoying every moment for sure! Was your son in the military?
No, Gator, he was not. His choice in a completely vollutary system. He was one of the senior computer programmers for the Screen Writer's Guild of America in L A. TTC

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Gator,

Looks like you might have some Azurite in there as well. Look for really deep blue, turquoise like inclusions. Deep green will be Malachite. One of the reasons I love copper is because of all the various forms it comes in. Turquoise, Chrysocolla, Azurite, Malachite and of course, native copper!
View attachment 794559

what the heck is that a duck???? I love it !!! Nnnnnice chunky Mr Lee.

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let's try this... TTC

Sweet! lol yup i wana take a trip out to AZ this summer and do some hounding... Especially with the fire hazzard kicking us off our mine here shortly.. 8(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread