Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 794121 hi, can you help me identify this rock outcrop. im having difficulty posting. hope this works because i have a lot more. thanks in advance.

LIL... we have that here its Oxidized Lava Flow .. gets blacker and blacker with exposure to Oxygen Valley-of-Fires-Recreation-Area-NM-348x234.jpg LAVA from the BOX TAOS.jpg litterally tons of Iron in it ... makes it look like a Meteor after a long time. It will hit with a metal detector, and in some cases a magnet (rare Earth) will stick to it.

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a small collection of rocks, actually a couple of pieces of quartz that have been busted up by my future geologist son. I believe I see copper, Pyrite and gold in the quartz, but would like a more experienced eye to take a look. I even have thought I saw a little silver in them. Regradless, I think the area this came from will be a nice place to prospect, and whether I find anything or not, the time with my 8 year old will be worth a lot more than 1,450 an ounce View attachment 794219 :icon_thumleft:

Lucky! nice Peacocking in the Sulphides! you got a ton o Peacock and Pyrite and GOLD there.. that is similar to what im digging out of the Knucklebasher..(my mine) Ill share some picts.. IMG_20130210_211416_983.jpg IMG_20130210_211734_983.jpg IMG_20130221_222419_867.jpg IMG_20130509_195828_593.jpg IMG_20130509_195931_940.jpg

IMG_20130509_200002_522.jpg

peacock.jpg Sweet Start! ok so get used to Aqua Regia to Seperate and process.. (PM ME if you would like info on Aqua Regia and proper way to do it!)

boundforgolde

May 2, 2013
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Other
got another one for you

Hello there hope you are having a GREAT DAY!
Take a look at this one if you've got the time!
THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR KNOWLEDGE!!!!

SDC19505.JPG

boundforgolde

May 2, 2013
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Other
how about these any ideas

Hi again
Do you think this is what I am hoping it is???
I busted open a big piece of what i thought is a that schist you spoke of and this is the inside of it cubed ore2.jpg cubed ore.jpg

22ti12

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
could i go first i looked for years but no successes please
but i think that may be sulfer my opinon
im glad i found this website i really love it!!!!!

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi again
Do you think this is what I am hoping it is???
I busted open a big piece of what i thought is a that schist you spoke of and this is the inside of it View attachment 796019 View attachment 796020
Bound, probably not.... based on the seemingly cubic nature of the mineral. POSSIBLY rhombic sulfer, if sulfer at all. If it scratches with a copper penny, the mineral is softer than 3 on mohs scale. PUSH a scratch awl into it. It should be brittle, leaving no indent but causing pieces to break off. Gold would indent with no brittleness. I am far from an expert, but gold "cubes" do not exist. TTC

patfreak

Apr 20, 2013
whew atlast im back after so many parse error..i know this one is not rock but its kinda like a clay..can someone help me with this?

Attachments

• image-2488069325.jpg
    image-2488069325.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 276

Stanislaus Gold

Apr 20, 2013
Mother Load Gold Belt ,California
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20 Gold Tracker
Garret GTA 1000
fisher quick silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Photo137.jpg Photo138.jpg Photo141.jpg Photo131.jpg Photo133.jpg Photo058.jpg Photo062.jpg Photo065_1.jpg IMG_8120.jpg

heavy pyrite contant "possible gold silver iron copperzzzzzz', very heavy, slight iron signal ,shiny rock lots of colors.....

I recently broke off a chunk and hand crushed it ,im mailing off a film canister size sample to temecula ca to be asseyd"not-fire" .seems to be all mineral iron or ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
whew atlast im back after so many parse error..i know this one is not rock but its kinda like a clay..can someone help me with this?

Copper Clay mix , Blue Spur Conglomerate (blue-green clay mineral (smectite)) The cement has made the Blue Spur Conglomerate a hard rock that resisted processing by the early miners. The fact that a significant deposit remains at Gabriels Gully attests to the difficulty of gold extraction from such a hard rock. Sluicing, underground tunneling, and crushing, were tried at various times.... hehe but your on the mineralization hunt... near by for Quartz/gold!

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 798218 View attachment 798219 View attachment 798220 View attachment 798221 View attachment 798222 View attachment 798214 View attachment 798215 View attachment 798216 View attachment 798184

heavy pyrite contant "possible gold silver iron copperzzzzzz', very heavy, slight iron signal ,shiny rock lots of colors.....

I recently broke off a chunk and hand crushed it ,im mailing off a film canister size sample to temecula ca to be asseyd"not-fire" .seems to be all mineral iron or ?

ya i see this alot ... good place to start but avoid the Schist... it tends to carry alot of Pyrite and hematite... look for wider Quartz veins in the same deposit. Also Grind up everything.. i have been surprised at what was hiding in the rock! .. IE: photo 141 and 58 are a good spot to start.. the wider the Quartz and or look for Red/ Green (Almost turquoise in the Quartz) or on the edge of the quartz

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

picture #1 is a conglomerate (bedrock and pebbles thrust up re-heated fused together) usually has seeping of other minerals into the mass from surrounding water.
Picture #2 nice specimen of Quartz with Heavy mineralization (Looks like Schist in upper right corner, and molybdenum with iron on lower left) nice peice,, you may find gold.. may not i have also found Galena (lead) and titanium/molybdenum pockets within the rock.
Picture #3 Good Looking Quartz vein.. nice mineralization.. (iron schist, copper Moly, hematite) that is one to crush grind pan!)
Picture #4 Looks just like the ore coming out of my mine have you seen any gold in the fractures? If its small specimen get more! and the Grey is a mixture of lead and titanium.
picture #5 another good specimine same in comparison to the others but you have a lil copper on the right end.. I'm liking this too!

Your in the right spot.. if you can't crush it up i would get a tile saw from harbor freight ($19.00) and cut some of the samples apart .. (messy but will show you whats inside!)
All but #`1 are a "pegmatite". That's a very coarse-grained, intrusive igneous rock that's made up of large, interlocking grains. It formed under special conditions that allowed the minerals that normally form the rock to grow very large.

Stanislaus Gold

Apr 20, 2013
Mother Load Gold Belt ,California
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20 Gold Tracker
Garret GTA 1000
fisher quick silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0414.jpg IMG_0415.jpg IMG_0416.jpg IMG_0417.jpg IMG_0418.jpg IMG_0413.jpg

grabbed these from a really old mine in sonora ca. ......a rich deposite in its day .now undetectable overgrown and undesireble location ,kinda rough to hike ore out beyond 50 pounds per person so its just fun to grab samplesout out of the mine to crush later. while up panning we find crystline gold in the creek on bedrock[ Photo0115J.jpg .....so i did a few samples , traced it back to the source, a old drift with pick marks on all of the walls ,and loads of iron rich quartz all scattered in now rounded off grassy noles of tailing,....tailings that have never been raked down flat and metal detected at all. altho this may be a winter time project as temps are about to sore IMG_0179.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread