Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

SuperDiscO

Nov 20, 2014
Hudson Valley Ny
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok i have showed this specimen to Jewelers. Gemologists. and My best friend growing up whos an anthropologist geologist however only phots sent.. noone can tell me for sure what this is. Im getting metoriot from everyone but beyond that i know no more. Im waiting for the local gem and mineral show to send it around to get a real ID but if anyone can give me some infor that would be great. very stone magnetism. Cube medals in the stone/ or fusion crust martix with orange red crystal clusters. Heavy Black. Found at local flea market with little to no ifro other than the man told me Somme told him its from Brazil 464.JPG . But thats iup in the air. so here are some shots please help me thanks! 575.JPG

Last edited:

Toesdeep

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I found this rock on lawrencetown beach Nova Scotia. Haven't been able to figure out what it is... Wondering if someone could help me find out! image.jpg

Photoman

Greenie
Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any experts?

Very heavy (over 8 lbs); does not attract a magnet; white quartz-like areas scratch glass; black and red appear to be hematite according to streak test. The hematite veins seem unusual and the quartz seems to have been crushed (brecciated?). I'm wondering how something like this could have formed. There was some volcanic activity nearby. (Watchung Mountains in New Jersey).
P1060721.jpg P1060722.jpg P1060731.jpg P1060732.jpg

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Carrol,

Looks like an old chunk of iron that has been sitting in the elements for a long time.

Easy to tell if its a meteorite, just cut it in half and put some acid on the fresh cut so you can see the grain structure. Lots of websites to help ID a meteorite. I am afraid I am not THAT knowledgeable about meteorites.

Mike

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Carrol,

Looks like an old chunk of iron that has been sitting in the elements for a long time.

Easy to tell if its a meteorite, just cut it in half and put some acid on the fresh cut so you can see the grain structure. Lots of websites to help ID a meteorite. I am afraid I am not THAT knowledgeable about meteorites.

Mike

Thanks for trying!! Its already broke in 3 pieces, this being the largest.
I bought storage lockers for over 10 yrs (till the tv shows came on),
& this was in a box marked meteorite.

l337scum

Jun 25, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Pack
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

l337scum

Jun 25, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The largest stone...Is this a pudding stone? View attachment 1188647

It looks like a breccia to me. It looks like some granite that is fused together with ash/tuff/tephra. If you note that the red granite parts or clasts are more angular you will see how that differs from a puddingstone. A puddingstone is a conglomerate and they tend to have round clasts fused together in some sort of matrix by sedimentary processes. The puddingstones around here have red jasper, chert, hematite, banded iron pebbles that are held together in a matrix of quartzite. This gives the appearance of round red/brown things in a tan background much like raisins would look like in pudding. Here is an example of what they look like around here:

46902c2a9c7337cb9b0a9ed980b4861e.jpg

l337scum

Jun 25, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

l337scum

Jun 25, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very heavy (over 8 lbs); does not attract a magnet; white quartz-like areas scratch glass; black and red appear to be hematite according to streak test. The hematite veins seem unusual and the quartz seems to have been crushed (brecciated?). I'm wondering how something like this could have formed. There was some volcanic activity nearby. (Watchung Mountains in New Jersey).
View attachment 1189777 View attachment 1189778 View attachment 1189779 View attachment 1189780

I agree it is brecciated. It seems like it was part of a larger rock body at one time but broke off and has been weathered(rounded). It likely has traveled a fair distances from the original location in the bedrock where it was formed. Wherever it came from I suspect it was part of a hydro-thermal system in a shear zone and the iron staining could be weathered pyrite/pyrrhotite or even some iron carbonates like siderite. The brown/black staining could be some manganese oxides.

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion, Gollum is correct to break it open or cut it open to see what a non weathered face would look like. Also from what I can see it is limonite(bog iron ore) and not a meteorite. It may have been hematite or magnetite at one point but now it is just essentially rust.

thanks for the info!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Carrol.
You don't want to cut it in half, only grind a small window. The larger the specimen the more valuable. BTW if it's iron the sparks from grinding should resemble a 4th of July sparkler.
One type of meteorites are iron and nickel usually about 90% iron if it is a siderite, basic stainless steel if some carbon is lurking around. Meteorites are always alloyed with nickel so a test for nickel would tell a lot.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

bigserg

Aug 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi everyone new here. 20150808_185230.jpg 20150808_185231.jpg 20150808_185245.jpg started rock hunting for some gold. found some interesting specs idk what they are if someone can help me identify these. thanks

bigserg

Aug 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20150808_185151.jpg 20150808_191300.jpg
\i also found these lil rocks if someone can identify these i thought they were gold if yuou could point me in the right direction to identify these rocks
thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread