Rich Hill, AZ experts!!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tim and I were on the west side of "the hill" recently. In the spot where "John" was collecting all of that galena a few years ago is another group. John's camp is completely gone. The new group is pulling two ores from The Hill. I need help identifying one. It is dark grey, seemingly no crystals, heavy-looking and a steady color throughout. No veins or intrusive minerals... just a steady grey throughout. I would not get close enough to study with a loupe as nobody was home. Any ideas? (found LOTS of mica sheets near the Forget-me-not today) TTC

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gersdorffite-Pca21 (NiAsS).[1] Gersdorffite occurs as a hydrothermal vein mineral along with other nickel sulfides. Associated minerals include nickeline, nickel-skutterudite, cobaltite, ullmannite, maucherite, löllingite, platinum-group minerals, millerite, pyrite, marcasite, and chalcopyrite. Is a possibility... also

or, Tennantite is a copper arsenic sulfosalt mineral. Its chemical formula is Cu12As4S13. It is grey-black, steel-gray, iron-gray or black in color. A closely related mineral, tetrahedrite (Cu12Sb4S13) has antimony substituting for arsenic and the two form a solid solution series. The two have very similar properties and is often difficult to distinguish between tennantite and tetrahedrite. Iron, zinc, and silver substitute up to about 15% for the copper site.

Jamesonite is a sulfosalt mineral, a lead, iron, antimony sulfide with formula Pb4FeSb6S14. With the addition of manganese it forms a series with benavidesite.[1] It is a dark grey metallic mineral which forms acicular prismatic monoclinic crystals. It is soft with a Mohs hardness of 2.5 and has a specific gravity of 5.5 - 5.6.[2] It is one of the few sulfide minerals to form fibrous or needle like crystals. It can also form large prismatic crystals similar to stibnite with which it can be associated. It is usually found in low to moderate temperature hydrothermal deposits.

all 3 are good bets and because hardness is verry minimal it may have formed as Vallerriite , and just be a molded mass of metals.. Dunno really need some pictures!

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tnx, Dusted. My next shot up there will hopefully be with the residence home to get a better look. Must round out my general knowledge of the Hill! TTC

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys got a lot of silver out that way ? that's what it sounds like to me, check that galena and see what you get.
How gos the war over at your new claim, you getting any color yet ?

If ya got the galena its safe bet they were looking for silver.
good luck, watch out for the snakes!!

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TERRY C. stop by the Weaver cllub office in Congress, Julie or Keith can help you ID your sample rock. Keith
lived on Bob Bassits property next to the 'For-Get-Me-Not' claim for a few years,& worked that area on a
steady basis, A well worked area, but still showing good color.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys got a lot of silver out that way ? that's what it sounds like to me, check that galena and see what you get.
How gos the war over at your new claim, you getting any color yet ?

If ya got the galena its safe bet they were looking for silver.
good luck, watch out for the snakes!!
Herb, if the question was aimed at me.... I'm finding color but MISERABLE amounts! Gotta hit a better area on the claim. It's a large claim 80 acres, lots of area to cover yet. It's playing games... with my head. I'll find more. Snakes? Ha! I see so many I don't take pics anymore. Just cuss 'em and see how far they will fly from a shovelhead. Tnx guys. TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TERRY C. stop by the Weaver cllub office in Congress, Julie or Keith can help you ID your sample rock. Keith
lived on Bob Bassits property next to the 'For-Get-Me-Not' claim for a few years,& worked that area on a
steady basis, A well worked area, but still showing good color.
Ray, no doubt Julie or Keith can id.... just I will not pick up a rock on some one else's claim without their permission. People are real funny like that around here. Tnx. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread