Iodine leach for precious metals

imagine

Feb 12, 2007
Portland, Oregon
I am looking for a good iodine based leach, which will dissolve the precious metals but not the base metals (iron, copper, etc.)

Does anyone have some experience with any leach that works like this? I know the pH and ORP are critical to avoiding the base metals.

I would really like to find a good book which explains in detail how to do this. I've learned a lot on my own but it sure is time consuming to learn what doesn't work rather than what does. Any suggestions?

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
You can disolve the metal in acid, and then precipitate it back out. I don't remember the exact amounts, but you mix nitric acid and hydrocloric acid, to this. BUT you need to really know what you're doing,like what mixture to use, don't breath the fumes etc.

aussco999

Dec 25, 2003
Texas
Imagine:

Is there any special reason why you want to use iodine as a gold leach? Iodine has never been a very popular choice for leaching gold, probably because of all the halogens (fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine and astatine), it ranks second to last in activeness. Iodine forms a very stable gold complex, but itā€™s much more costly than chlorine, and has a loading capacity of only about half of an acidified chlorine leach.

Of the 5 halogens, chlorine and bromine have been used with some success in the past for batch leaching, but they also have their problems. Chlorine when used with an oxidizer or as a gas (nascent), will dissolve all of the precious metals, plus a long list of base metals (see the EMF series), and bromine is similar as long as no aluminum (reacts violently) or potassium (reacts explosively) are present.

It seems that very few people are aware of the fact that gold is soluble in many other chemical compounds besides AR and cyanides. Mother Nature has been moving gold around with a form of sulfuric acid and manganese dioxide for eons, and about 3,000 years ago the Egyptians used a form of thiourea (camel urine), to leach gold. Can you imagine any benifits working as the ore mixer on that job?

Maybe if you provided us with some more information on what exactly you are trying to leach (ore or metal), and your chemistry comfort level, we can try giving you some better ideas. And as our friend Tropical Tramp said, cyanide is cheaper,,, as long as you understand the limitations of what it can, canā€™t, will and wonā€™t do.

Good luck,

John

OP
OP
I

imagine

Feb 12, 2007
Portland, Oregon
First of all, let me thank you for the interest in my question. I can use all the help I can get. And if someone has a similar project, Iā€™d be willing to share any information I have or find.

The ore Iā€™m working with is a massive sulfide deposit which is both refractory and carbonaceous. I have been told by many people that this ore has high levels of precious metals, including both gold and platinum. I had a man look at it with a scanning electron microscope and he said he detected high levels of gold but could not identify any particles of metal. Another company I sent a sample to told me there was no metallic gold in the sample; everything was micron gold or smaller. Iā€™ve since learned about submicroscopic particles called ā€˜clustersā€™ of precious metal molecules, which are too small to be considered metal. Iā€™ve learned fire assays will often miss micron gold due to its volatile nature, so despite the fact that several assayers have told me there is no gold in this sample Iā€™m optimistic that they are wrong and that the gold is there, just hard to detect and extract.

I have considered using cyanide but I hesitate due to the fact that I live in a residential area and canā€™t risk the safety of my family or the neighborhood should something go wrong. Plus I suspect itā€™s illegal to use those chemicals inside the city limits.

I understand my ore needs to be roasted or chemically oxidized to minimize the interference of the sulfur. Initially the crushed ore shows very little interaction with a large common magnet, but after roasting, almost 40% of the ore can be separated magnetically. This tells me the iron sulfide is being converted to magnetite

Iā€™ve learned that precious metals are adsorbed onto carbon, which may be where the gold particles are hiding in my carbonaceous ore. I also know iron will alloy with the precious metals and keep them from being detected using spectrographic analysis. Sometimes the iron encapsulates or coats the gold particles making it extremely difficult to extract the gold chemically. As you know it is common for precious metals which have been dissolved in a leach to be displaced by more active base metals (like iron, copper, lead, etc.) causing the precious metals to precipitate out of the solution and fall back in with the ore material being leached.

Iā€™ve tried several chemical leaches including Aqua-Regia, SSN, and one using Sodium Hypochlorite and NaOH, but they all extract the iron and base metals, regardless of temperature of the leach or the length of time the ore is exposed to the leach.

John (aussco999) hit the nail on the head in his second paragraph above:

ā€œOf the 5 halogens, chlorine and bromine have been used with some success in the past for batch leaching, but they also have their problems. Chlorine when used with an oxidizer or as a gas (nascent), will dissolve all of the precious metals, plus a long list of base metals (see the EMF series, i.e. iron, copper, lead, etc.), and bromine is similarā€¦ā€

I have heard iodine will not complex iron if you keep the pH >8. I have also read that AuI2- is stable between 0.51 V and 0.69 V and at pH <12. This seems to imply that if the pH is adjusted the iron should not be a problem in the precipitates. The other advantage Iā€™ve read is that iodine will oxidize sulfide minerals in the reaction which means other oxidants do not need to be added to break down the sulfide minerals which may contain the precious metals.

I understand the iodine is initially more expensive but I know it can be precipitated from the leach and reused, making it cost effective as a batch leach. Also there would be no acid fumes with iodine. Unlike Aqua Regia and other chlorine and nitric based leaches, the fact that there would be no off gassing seems like it would be a real advantage in my situation.

Now my question is: Has anyone ever done something like this? If so some information about the correct pH, redox potential, temperature range, iodine/iodide concentration ratio would be very helpful (and save me a lot of time). Any thoughts or ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks for your input!

rustbucketguy

Jul 29, 2013
Augusta, GA
Primary Interest:
Other
iodine leach procedure

Just registered on this forum, and found your post. Are you still interested in the details for iodine leaching for gold?
I have been interested in the chemistry of iodine leaching of gold for a long time, and now that I am retired as a chemical engineer, I have tried again. Read a lot of patents that sounded promising, but they were always too technical, too complex, too dangerous, or the chemicals were simply not available to a hobbyist. Started playing and have come up with a procedure that can be done in a garage, using relatively safe chemicals that are readily available, with a process that can regenerate essentially all of the iodine, and you can monitor the chemical conditions by unique colors rather than with complicated, expensive test equipment.
The size of the processing batch is not much of an issue, but every step is important and can be rather time-consuming, with nothing much to show for it until you get to the end.
I am a little hesitant to simply publish the process on the internet until I can document the time frame of my current use, but I can share some of the details off-forum. I feel that I have a good handle on chemical supply (part of that deals with generating elemental iodine, so there is a strong possibility of attracting the attention of DEA), I have figured out how to make the solution active for leaching the gold, how to drop the gold as metallic gold, how to regenerate the leaching solution, and how to get the super-fine gold into a gold button. My current attention is focused on lead cupelling without having to add any borax or flux.
If you are interested, I can share some of the details if you are willing to supply small samples (quart samples or US Mail small shipping box) for me to play with and I will tell you everything I can determine about it. Presently, my process will NOT recover silver and I have made no attempt to recover any other metals. I would like to know whatever you can tell me about the sample, such as, what you have done with it, raw rock, panned creek gravel, Blue Bowl, mercury added, etc. I would prefer to receive black sand that has not been worked to death, but I want you to be ā€œfinishedā€ with it. Just be sure to identify the sample somehow so that YOU know where it came from and anything special YOU did to it.
If this sounds interesting to you, PM me and we can talk.

dwrightvaughn

May 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to get some info on this subject from you I have a small hard rock mine in so. cal and need to be environmentally friendly aqnd as with the original poster there are some reasons why iodine seems like the best answer

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I to have checked on the process using iodine . I found , just like the big company's that iodine is very expensive and not practical .
That is why gold company's do not use it . It's much safer but no practical at all .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread