GGs Chain Flail Impact Mill

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG's Chain Flail Impact Mill

Finally tired of using the one man stamp mill.
Continually slamming a 20lb ramrod down against hard rock in a cylinder by hand sure gets old quick. :tongue3:

So I came up with a prototype for a small gasoline engine powered mill and started work.

mill.jpg

The 4" feed 14" diameter drum will be powered by the 7hp 212CC Predator as shown from Harbor freight ($89 on sale) Will be using belt drive not love joy. Impact chains are 3/8" #70. Plan to crush to -200 Run between 1,500 - 2,000 rpm

shearplates.jpg

mill1.jpg

mill4.jpg

Finished Product! "The Pulverizer"
By gg~ Mfg.
ggmill.jpg pv.jpg

Go for the gold
GG~

Last edited:

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
my friend made this unit for me a few years back..the first two pics were from an Alaska unit a fellow sent me.the zig-zag chute with flap would work better to keep the kickback and dust in.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
on my old unit you unbolt the back and vacuum out all the fines with a wet/dry vac.The number 60 chain tore the hell out of the quartz but the links wear away and must be replaced.This unit was made from scrap,such as an old tank and 1/3 rd horse washing machine motor which are free if you look around.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
It would be good to have a screw type device at the bottom of the impact mill drum to push into the classifier of your choice..sluice,bluebowl..whatever....so as to not have to open and clean out the unit.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good enough for this season of prospecting ...........................
Will go bigger and stronger if the need arises. :icon_thumleft:

It would be good to have a screw type device at the bottom of the impact mill drum to push into the classifier of your choice..sluice,bluebowl..whatever....so as to not have to open and clean out the unit.

No need to open the unit for cleaning. Continuous cleanout may be performed through running a hose from the discharge tube located at the bottom of the drum into the top of a bucket with another hose coming out of the top of that bucket connected to another bucket etc. with the final hose connected to a shop vac. like shown in the video below......

But now you have me thinking of running it wet and feeding directly into my gold cube type sluice straight from the drum. :sign13:
Thanks Dave.

GG~

Last edited:

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
None of this was my idea.The blue impact mill a fellow on the Alasks gold forum sent his pics to me about 6 years ago.My mill that I had a friend build for me I gave away as I no longer do any mining due to failing health.My mining partner at the time didn't like the dust it produced and was annoyed the gold came out in tiny BB like balls,ha,ha.It's all yellow to me .A Fellow worked on my Toyota truck and mostly didn't
charge me so I gave him the mill.Hope you fellows have fun with your impact mills and keep improving on them.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GG, are your pulleys the same size?
Did the pulleys, shaft, an bearings come from HF as well?

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks GG.
1/2 or 3/4 shaft? Looks like 3/4.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks GG.
1/2 or 3/4 shaft? Looks like 3/4.
I'm going to guess the shaft matches the 7/8" bearings he mentioned,..

Curious about the wear plates and distance from hammers to the wear plates.

Flange bearings and other needed parts seem reasonable at surplus center
Surplus Center

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to guess the shaft matches the 7/8" bearings he mentioned,..

Curious about the wear plates and distance from hammers to the wear plates.

Flange bearings and other needed parts seem reasonable at surplus center
Surplus Center

I recommend at least a 7/8" shaft & bearings, even larger for a bigger mill. Good prices at the surplus center.
I'll buy from them from now on. thanks, jcazgoldchaser :icon_thumleft:

Here is a photo of the installed plates with hard facing applied. I set the clearance at 1/16"
Have no idea what the ideal clearance should be. This is my first attempt at a mill so after field testing mods may become a necessity.

shearplates.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What did you use for the drum section?.
I missed the 7/8 number in the link.Duuuuuuh.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rolled a flat piece of 4" x 44" x 1/4" steel into a circle and welded it at the ends.

Last edited:

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you line the drum with wear plates, it doesn't need to be as thick.

All sorts of things would work if you look for them.
propane-tank.jpg
Just make sure you know what you're doing if it's used.

I'm going to stop by a place at lunch tomorrow, they have long drops which I thought too big for a trommel, but might be perfect for this

Stainless-steel-pipe-3-4-sch-10-20-image-No.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread