Stumped by Stones

G.O.Eye

Feb 1, 2014
far south nevada
Detector(s) used
Elite 2200 Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now I'm playing around an area by the river that I know through geological self knowledge that used to be highly volcanic many era's ago to bad there's no info what so ever anywhere, Laughlin, anyways lots of sulfur lots of basaltic plutonic rocks but came across these now I've done the scratch test, I started high an used a stainless steel nail aka case in steel, which is 8 on mister mohs scale, these rocks literally destroyed the nail, then I used what I believe not sure is a clear yellowish sapphire, it was just grinding the sapphire up into dust, if sapphire, no marks on the stones, I only find them in white, grey only one so far, yellow, an pink only one so far, semi-transparent, super highly refractive, any thoughts, I'm stumped pics an video thanks for input.
pink_20140203_010.jpg white.jpg yellow_20140203_008.jpg grey.jpg WP_20140203_002.jpg

Last edited:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The biggest one - it shows some parallel layering inside, so my guess is banded white agate, a form of chalcedony (about 7 - 8 hardness). chalcedony is a form of quartz, it is eroded out of vugs in plutonic rocks, such as basalt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

G.O.Eye

Feb 1, 2014
far south nevada
Detector(s) used
Elite 2200 Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
agates_20140205_008.jpg chalcedony blue_20140205_016.jpg unknown stones_20140205_009.jpg rough semi transparent diamond.jpg rough common opals_20140205_010.jpg WP_20140205_001.jpg

The first is agate, the second is chalcedony blue, the third is the unknown, the fourth is semi transparent diamond, the fifth is the common opals the sixth is another unknown stone, the unknown is the problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

G.O.Eye

Feb 1, 2014
far south nevada
Detector(s) used
Elite 2200 Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All the stones I'm finding are rough, non polished, non tumbled, sometimes non cleaned because the tap or chlorine can ruin things.

OP
OP
G

G.O.Eye

Feb 1, 2014
far south nevada
Detector(s) used
Elite 2200 Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, still kinda unsure but the link you sent let me know alot more about agate I didn't know, strange agate could get up to 9 on the mohs scale with ruby or sapphire same thing, which would explain why this particular stone slice through everything must be 9 on the mohs scale real high grade agate if so.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like most of it is quartz or related minerals. Agate never gets up to a 9 in hardness.

OP
OP
G

G.O.Eye

Feb 1, 2014
far south nevada
Detector(s) used
Elite 2200 Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, I knew that to be true myself but check the link that Fullpan sent a few posts back an tell me the site is wrong it states (A very small sample of some of the many agates which are found all over the world. A hard stone, usually within the range of 7-9 on the Mohs scale agates are found in all colors of the rainbow, although green and blue are quite rare)

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The site is wrong. Happy now?`:laughing7:

A ordinary nail is usually around 5-6 in hardness, by the way. It won't do a thing to quartz other then leaving a shiny streak of steel.
if you break one open you will likely be confronted with a either glassy or greasy lustre. Use eye protection and a hammer.
Chalcedony (agate, jasper etc) will often have a waxy look to it.

Hope this narrows it down further.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions