Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was sent this email this morning.

This is a photograph of the world's largest helicopter, called the Utsky, which happened to be on the tarmac in Dease Lake, B.C. recently. This monster air machine is owned by a Russian company and is being used to take mining equipment and cargo out to a new mine called Galore Creek. The chopper couldn't land at the air strip at Bob Quinn Lake because it wasn't a paved area so it had to land in Dease Lake until the landing site north of Bob Quinn could be inspected. Apparently this chopper's wash will pick up and fling 12 inch diameter rocks around like leaves.

Some stats :

Russian crew of 6: 2 Pilots, 1 Navigator, 2 Engineers (mechanics) & 1 cargo person

-a semi-trailer will fit in it .

-carries 75 troops

-uses 2000 liters of fuel per hour

-580 km range

-costs $30,000/hr to rent

-40 metres long

-8 blades about 2 feet wide

It was probably bigger than ANYTHING seen at the Dease Lake airport, including the terminal building.

:)

Attachments

• large helo.png
    large helo.png
    401.4 KB · Views: 126

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are now putting in a power line in that rugged country so more and more mining will open up. Beautiful up there, there is a road called the Jade road south and then headed east of Dease Lake. Traveled in by quad about 80 miles on several hunting trips, great fishing also.

Your are right as that chopper is bigger than most old homes also in Dease Lake....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread