need a id on this rock

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was searching for gold quartz and found a bunch of this stuff got around a bucket full of it it was near a few big slabs of quartz any idea what it is? i am in the hiram ga area any info would be greatly appriciated IMAG2623.jpg IMAG2621.jpg IMAG2622.jpg

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like milky rose quartz to me.
Specimen grade because it's so opaque.

GG~

OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like milky rose quartz to me.
Specimen grade because it's so opaque.

GG~

But I thought rose quartz was pinkish? This is like golden brown I ran into a pocket of it I pulled like 40lbs of it out and I didn't even get it all ill clean up so more pieces and post some more pics when I am done

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But I thought rose quartz was pinkish? This is like golden brown I ran into a pocket of it I pulled like 40lbs of it out and I didn't even get it all ill clean up so more pieces and post some more pics when I am done

Looked pinkish to me... lol
Either way even brown it still looks like quartz.

OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be brown quartzite?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be brown quartzite?

Possible.

"Quartzite is a metamorphic rock formed when quartz-rich sandstone or chert has been exposed to high temperatures and pressures. Such conditions fuse the quartz grains together forming a dense, hard, equigranular rock. The name quartzite implies not only a high degree of induration (hardness), but also a high quartz content. Quartzite generally comprises greater than 90% percent quartz, and some examples, containing up to 99% quartz, and are the largest and purest concentrations of silica in the Earth's crust. Although a quartz-rich sandstone can look similar to quartzite, a fresh broken surface of quartzite will show breakage across quartz grains, whereas the sandstone will break around quartz grains. Quartzite also tends to have a sugary appearance and glassy lustre. The variety of colours displayed by quartzite are a consequence of minor amounts of impurities being incorporated with the quartz during metamorphism. Although quartzite can sometimes appear superficially similar to marble, a piece of quartzite will not be able to be scratched by a metal blade, and quartzite will not fizz on contact with dilute hydrochloric acid" http://flexiblelearning.auckland.ac.nz/rocks_minerals/rocks/quartzite.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok i took one of the rocks and seen one had a vein crack in it so i put my knife in it and turning it a little bit and the rock cracked in half and this is what i found IMAG2630.jpg IMAG2626.jpg IMAG2628.jpg IMAG2629.jpg

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appears to have broken across the quartz grains instead of around them so I'm leaning toward Quartzite.

Stuff I call Leaverite.

Yep not worth carrying home so it's best to just leaverite were you found it. :tongue3:

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread