Helo with a large boulder!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a LARGE boulder on our property we are trying to break up into small pieces. It appears to be mostly quartz. It is so hard that our sledge hammer just bounces off it! Any ideas? Besides dynamite LOL. Thanks!

Do a google search on any of the non explosive demo agents listed below :

Dexpan
Bustar
Crackamite
Ecobust
Cracker
Split Agent
Rock frac
Crack Agent
Sylentmite

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of old timers with no powder, would build a fire a heat it up and then pour cold creek water on it to make smaller and managable 'pieces Much more fun to use some of GG's tools

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got a LARGE boulder on our property we are trying to break up into small pieces. It appears to be mostly quartz. It is so hard that our sledge hammer just bounces off it! Any ideas? Besides dynamite LOL. Thanks!
Home Depot has a expanding compound used to brake up rock and concrete
None explosive any one can buy it .
You need to buy or rent a rock drill with a 1 1/2 " brill bit

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A lot of old timers with no powder, would build a fire a heat it up and then pour cold creek water on it to make smaller and managable 'pieces Much more fun to use some of GG's tools

I used the method to remove the top of a couple of boulders where my patio is going, works great, no explosions but hanging around a big fire with a brew or two is always fun.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
although its not environment safe, in highschool they put up (what i believe was) concrete speed bumps. We used to take cups of gasoline and dump it on the speed bumps everyday, within a week or two those things were rubble. They must have had those people come out 3 or 4 times a year to replace those things. lol

OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much everyone! Hopefully we can find something with this info. FYI, bought a new pick from Lowe's best one they had yesterday, bent the metal with my son's first swing. What in the world is this rock? Looks like quartz and something else. Hardest thing I've ever seen!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much everyone! Hopefully we can find something with this info. FYI, bought a new pick from Lowe's best one they had yesterday, bent the metal with my son's first swing. What in the world is this rock? Looks like quartz and something else. Hardest thing I've ever seen!

On a scale of 1-10 (mohs scale) Quartz is a 7 with diamond the hardest at 10

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions