Noob Needs some Help

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All,

When I went out on the North Fork American river a week ago, a friend gave me a quartz specimen. It was a look and grab meaning he found it picked it up and gave it to me. He was quite brief on the info on how to crush it, but I decided to try. I went home and took it out lightly chipped to decomposing area off with a rock hammer and put it into my pan. To my surprise I found 3 tiny specks in about two teaspoons of dirt. My question is how does one go about crushing it into flour? I will say this now that I am only trying to expand my knowledge on the hard rock mining, this would be a secondary to getting gold. My first would be placer. I just would like to know how can you crush it using minimal tools.

Thanks,
H&F

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cast iron mortar and pestle is most common. But any way that you can crush it and still contain all the particles is acceptable.
You can easily make one out of pipe. If you make one out of pipe do NOT use galvanized, as it will flake off. Use black iron pipe only.

GG~

Last edited:

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you don't want to spend money just put it in a ziplock bag and hammer it to death.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some kind of cloth bag or heavy duty sock even better. If you can crush and contain simultaneously you will be better off.

OP
OP
H&F909ORO

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
DesertNuggets I tried your idea and it sorta worked out. I knew already that the bag was going to rip but I still got something out of it. I think I might go to the sick idea and find something that won't rip. Thanks for the suggestions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread