Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks,
I'm never on this forum, but had a question someone here might be able to answer. Was visiting in Chambersburg, PA over the holidays, and my friends pointed out an odd rock in their back yard area- beyond the lawn. They're thinking the immediate area (their neighborhood)was once a quarry although I haven't been able to find evidence of that on line. When I looked at it, it seemed like a quarrying mark- from drilling out stone. Can someone enlighten me? BTW- in spring we're all going to dig it out and see how far it extends down. Thanks for any help with this ;) Yakker

1226141231.jpg 1226141231a.jpg 1226141232.jpg

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like some sort of markings for an idem hidden long a go. I'd be researching treasures .

OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jair. I'll keep trying to investigate the historic mining in the area. :thumbsup: Yakker

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
May not be mining related . Try treasure hunting , lost treasures or history of gang related Roberts in the 1800's possibly in that areas around your location , your interested in .

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is not soap stone.

ca.miner

Dec 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks even older than that. Weathering of old hand made marks look very weathered down. Well over 100 years. Rock looks like granite. Very interesting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm First I saw this Thread :(

1226141232.jpg

Look like a core drill was used to probably Blast.

But the pics could be better

ca.miner

Dec 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How hard is the rock itself. Did you iD what type it is. That would help judge erosion or weathering of marks. I see100 year old drill holes all the time. None look as old as that. You should be able to see definitive proof that it's from a drill. I don't see that.. I could be wrong...Look at Indians of the area and how they lived. Nomadic. Or did they settle down. Nomadic Indians stashed stuff. And would come back to it every year.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like someone was making a hole in the rock for a large post.

Have done that for a power company that had to run there lines across a large slab of rock and needed two holes for poles,

Some quarries used a cable high line setup to pull rock from a pit or up hill.

ikesdad

Jun 23, 2010
Colorado
I have been a hardrock miner since 74 and that simply looks like a rock that was drilled and shot or just drilled and broken out.
You guys might be reading too much into this.

Last edited:

ca.miner

Dec 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your right. I like to over think stuff sometimes. Not a good quality Your the man with the know how.
So I would take his word.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been a hardrock miner since 74 and that simply looks like a rock that was drilled and shot or just drilled and broken out.
You guys might be reading too much into this.

That's why I suggested pics could be better to show the Drill curves a little clearer

ikesdad

Jun 23, 2010
Colorado
Think about this....flip this question around 180.....possibly the product that was intended was not the rock that is pictured but the round/cylindrical piece that is missing. House footer/fireplace stone, etc.

Last edited:

ikesdad

Jun 23, 2010
Colorado
That's why I suggested pics could be better to show the Drill curves a little clearer

You are correct. A machine drilled hole is perfectly round, or close to it. A hand drilled hole, done with hand steel and a single jack, is not round. From the pics, those drill holes appear to be hand drilled.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread