Plans for rock crusher

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
New to prospecting, this is first year. Having a great time! Looking for winter project to keep me busy when weather is to nasty to get anything on job site done. I have a couple of back up mortar mixers with good motors , but dented up tubs(do to employees getting carried away with hammer while cleaning) I have been looking at them lately thinking do I need two back up mixers? Or one back up and one rock crusher. Any place I can get plans for crusher?

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm going to build a jaw crusher this winter. I'll be drawing up plans when the prototype is finished. I sell the plans to my equipment on Ebay. I can't think of a crusher that would utilize a mixer drum. The drums are probably too thin to use for an impact crusher, which is the only type that uses a drum. Impact crushers are probably the simplest to build and maintain, and they work well. The only downside to them is they can't be adjusted for the size of the output material, so can't be used for gem recovery.
Jim

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mainly was thinking of using motor, and frame. The tub is garbage from too many employees taking out their aggressions on it. Would have one of the local metal fabrication shops build drum from thicker steel.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
You can remove the large paddles and replace them with something smaller. Then add about a dozen of the largest ball bearings you can get your hands on. I'm talking something like CAT D-12 size here. The paddles just have to be large enough to lift the bearings up a few at a time and let them drop into the bottom with the materials. Not fast, but it will work. You can classify it form time to time to get what ever size you want out of it. Anything larger, just put it back in and run it some more.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can remove the large paddles and replace them with something smaller. Then add about a dozen of the largest ball bearings you can get your hands on. I'm talking something like CAT D-12 size here. The paddles just have to be large enough to lift the bearings up a few at a time and let them drop into the bottom with the materials. Not fast, but it will work. You can classify it form time to time to get what ever size you want out of it. Anything larger, just put it back in and run it some more.
Good idea. Doesn't even have to be balls....Could be chunks of iron, or steel. Balls would be best, but more spendy. Could even just tumble the rocks themselves....slow, but would work.
Jim

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
2 to 3" diameter rounded river rocks, granite or quartz, would work pretty well too. I was shown and collected a bunch of these from an old mill site near Telluride, Colorado back in the early 50's. I was told they were imported from Sweden but I am not sure of the validity of that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What thickness of metal would you use on impact crusher. The mixers I use are not cheap ones from home depot or place like that. There stone brand mixers with Honda motors. Been looking impact crushers have pretty good idea on how they work. Now need options on steel gauge, for tub and chains and spindle. Was playing with idea of making way for crusher to be disconnected quickly and trommel connected in place and make dual purpose machine.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What thickness of metal would you use on impact crusher. The mixers I use are not cheap ones from home depot or place like that. There stone brand mixers with Honda motors. Been looking impact crushers have pretty good idea on how they work. Now need options on steel gauge, for tub and chains and spindle. Was playing with idea of making way for crusher to be disconnected quickly and trommel connected in place and make dual purpose machine.

There isn't really a whole heck of a lot to an impact mill. I guess if you want it to run 24/7 and blah blah... But crushing rocks is pretty darn easy...

Here is the little guy I made. It didn't take long, and if you didn't happen to have a machine shop, most of it could have been done with hand tools and a grinder.
15874995039_88ebf66720_c.jpg

16057643971_354dc1697f_c.jpg

15441383353_95a61bf28e_c.jpg

15866531530_8e7e81f90b_c.jpg

In that last pic, there is a 16" piece of pipe, I'm making a big guy out of that one. Big pipe is generally hard to find, and its not cheap..
Somewhere in a small city near you there is a place that has some plate rolls, have them roll up a piece. 3/16 would probably last quite
a long time, 1/4 would probably last a very long time...

The other kicker, look around in the hard rock forum, there are some(quite a few) on rock crushers, some aren't even round. Octagonal.
8 pieces of plate welded together. Some weld wear plates into their round crushers, and make them not round.

Its pretty darn simple. There is a million ways to do it, and almost all will work... Spin metal (chains, hammers), hit rocks, get powder that *hopefully*
contains gold.

Here is one from Utube.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread