The rebirth and rise of the small scale miner

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As I alluded to in another post, I am writing a series of articles for an investment firm I know. Considering that most of you won't see them there, I decided to put them here. Enjoy.

The Rebirth and Rise of the Small Scale Miner
Part I

I have to admit that when this idea was first brought up to me I had thought the asking individual had lost his mind. But after a long conversation, I began to see his point which was not that much different than mine. I do know that what will be contained in these articles will be laughed at and ridiculed by those supposedly "in the know" but everything contained herein is based in fact and through observation. No one believed the gentlemen who predicted that oil would be in the sub-$30 range, yet here we are.

When we consider the declining ore grades at the current large mines such as Grasberg in Indonesia or Many of the iron ore mines in Australia we see start to see a picture emerge. When we add into this the rising cost of environmental permitting, which will get much worse due to the tailings dam failure at Samarco in Brazil, we see the need for smaller projects to fill the gaps.

With smaller mines come smaller impacts. And with those smaller impacts come reduced cost of recovery and a reduced footprint thus having less effect on the local flora, fauna, and the general public. In many areas, this would mean less impact on the indigenous populations due to not having to move a historical location of a village or perhaps not having to remove a sacred area.

The results of the dam failure at Samarco is still being tallied. Many people died or are still missing, possibly never to be found, several river ecosystems were either destroyed or heavily damaged, and the local population will feel the after effects for generations to come.

We can see the fight over the removal of a sacred area in Arizona over the proposed Resolution Copper Project that would result in the loss of the Oak Flats Campground, an area believed sacred by the San Carlos Apache Tribe. The removal of a massive low grade ore body would leave a hole in the ground covering several square miles and over a thousand feet deep.

The open pit at Grasberg in all likelihood could never be reclaimed just due to the sheer size. Freeport McMoRan, the company operating the open pit, is now going underground in order to chase a declining ore grade in an area that has experienced decades of blasting resulting in a heavily fractured host rock due to shockwaves traveling through the rock from blasting. Many miners have been killed there already along with many other miners in other areas chasing declining ore grades underground.

When we look at the sheer lack of "world class" deposits being discovered we are being forced to venture into areas that are politically unstable. Such as the many areas in Africa. While Africa has numerous areas that are rich in minerals, there is always the possibility that the local warlords will form a tentative truce and forcibly take over the mines. With all the concern over conflict minerals and the required disclosure of said minerals, one has to wonder how long it will be before those things no longer matter with the desire for minerals to keep our society functioning.

Another aspect that needs to into account is the fact that many countries are asking for more and more from the large miners. Things like divesting a larger share of the company to the local government and people to the construction of power facilities like hydroelectric dams and power stations. In many of the areas the very roads and/or railroads the ore is transported on have to be built from scratch.

The environmental fight can be a mine killer. Pebble Beach in Alaska comes to mind when looking at this. While it is probably the largest copper/gold mineralization zone ever discovered, the odds of a mine there ever coming to fruition are not very likely due to the sheer impact on the local ecosystem and people there. Many large projects are killed during the environmental review stage just due to the sheer magnitude of scale.

While no one will deny that we need the minerals whether for building cars or renewable energy projects, the days of the large miners are numbered as more and more people become environmentally aware and can see how these projects will effect them years down the road. We have to have the necessary minerals for day to day life, that is undeniable. So we are left with a choice.

Do we continue with business as usual or do we look forward to the future where we can have the best of both worlds?

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If they do away with the large scale mines the government losses a very large portion on income .
It would effect government , schools , economy , manufacturing ect. I think your idea is what should happen but I don't think the government is willing to loose that kind of income ,

I work for a caterpillar dealer in Nevada , we supply most of the support for the mines , it has slowed and a lot of mines have shut down do to the drop in gold price , construction keeps us going , but forecast for the mines down the road is to return .

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There will be no loss of income. In fact if this is done properly, there will be an increase of income. And a mine starting up or shutting down will have little to no impact on the overall income. These people are much better with numbers than I am and if they claim it will be a benefit then it is most likely so.

One of the many concerns is that the taxpayers will get stuck with the clean up of these large mines due to the sheer magnitude of their size, even those on private land
South Dakota tells a mine to stay put ? High Country News There just isn't enough money to pay for it all, even if all the money the gov't received off of these mines was all saved.

Mining will return. Most of the mines shutting down now are the high cost mines. A lot took on a lot of debt to get started believing the bubble would last. Like all bubbles, this one burst. Had a more conservative approach been taken, well, they would be able to ride out the downturn.

More will follow.

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was only trying to point out that all the support as in company's that supply and community's that service ( as in motels , restraints , gas stations , hard wear stores , ) these type of services and others , all are supports of the economy , I deal with mining through my job , see and here a lot of and from the mines , so it all effects every one , I'm not trying to say your wrong in what you are saying , but in either case it does effect every one in one way or a mother , wether it's good or bad .
And I am still one that is looking for the brake every one would like to have in finding my own little gold mine .

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice article. Nonsensical, but a nice article. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was only trying to point out that all the support as in company's that supply and community's that service ( as in motels , restraints , gas stations , hard wear stores , ) these type of services and others , all are supports of the economy , I deal with mining through my job , see and here a lot of and from the mines , so it all effects every one , I'm not trying to say your wrong in what you are saying , but in either case it does effect every one in one way or a mother , wether it's good or bad .
And I am still one that is looking for the brake every one would like to have in finding my own little gold mine .

I work at Morenci for my day job so I understand what you are talking about. But on thing I do se here is the sheer lack of understanding of the boom and bust cycle. People living ere all their lives still don't understand it.

Myself, I would sooner have steady production at $800 an ounce than take on a lot of debt and produce at $1800 and ounce. Makes more money in the long run.

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm with you on that . You have nothing to clean up . Every one is I titled to their opinions , and it nice to hear others opinions , some times it can clear up what ones understanding really is . In my opinion , your doing good and hope you continue to post your thoughts , I mean no disrespect at all .

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mad, I tend to agree with you. as a example I have a lil mine in Sonora, ole Mexico. La Escondida, wich pays at least ( before Gold, and base metal decreases, $ 2,000 a ton, with tremendous values o, Zinc, lead, and copper. Yet I cannot get anyone interested because it is a hardrock mine and the market is interested in large, open pit workings. I have argued that it is silly to think of a large operation when it is essentually a Dollar invested per unit recovered .When I think of the investment of millions of dollars in an open pit operation, against shall we say a million in my lil mine ????, the only reclamation necesary is perhaps 500 feet of road.The portal can be locked or blasted shut.Sigh. :dontknow:

.Escondida state assay sampling..jpg

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm with you on that . You have nothing to clean up . Every one is I titled to their opinions , and it nice to hear others opinions , some times it can clear up what ones understanding really is . In my opinion , your doing good and hope you continue to post your thoughts , I mean no disrespect at all .

I am trying to write this from a miner's point of view. A lot of this is coming from trying to develop the property I own. Gigantic pain in the butt. What little dedicated equipment there is for a small scale mine is out of the price range of a small miner due to the relatively low sales volume.

I am working on the equipment side of things now.

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mad, I tend to agree with you. as a example I have a lil mine in Sonora, ole Mexico. La Escondida, wich pays at least ( before Gold, and base metal decreases, $ 2,000 a ton, with tremendous values o, Zinc, lead, and copper. Yet I cannot get anyone interested because it is a hardrock mine and the market is interested in large, open pit workings. I have argued that it is silly to think of a large operation when it is essentually a Dollar invested per unit recovered .When I think of the investment of millions of dollars in an open pit operation, against shall we say a million in my lil mine ????, the only reclamation necesary is perhaps 500 feet of road.The portal can be locked or blasted shut.Sigh. :dontknow:

View attachment 1261596

Maybe I should just sell out here and move down there with you. Might be a lot easier to get something off the ground there so I can look forward to an early retirement.

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You said your trying to get equipment ?
What is it your looking for ?
We just had an auction ,

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I work for a cat dealer , large to small equipment , along with rental support equipment , some times we can buy used rental equipment ,

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
jair,

Right now I am evaluating equipment with one major thing, price vs. function with price vs. production capabilities second. From a small miner standpoint, one cannot afford to go spend several million in purpose built equipment. One piece of equipment will need to perform many jobs. Might seem non productive at first, but the overhead isn't there either.

Some equipment will be built by me also. Just about have an articulating joint figured out from "off the shelf" parts.

Be a little while before I pull the trigger on equipment. Building up operating capital first.

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's the only way you can get what you think will work for you needs , I do the same , build what may work and improve up on it to dial it in . I don't claim to be the best at any thing , but I am a welder fabricator also by trade , for around 30 years , now a Cat mechanic . But still do fab and welding from time to time ,
Any thing I can help with let me know , I'll try ,

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I may not be able to find equipment made here in the USA but I can damn well make sure my hand tools are made here.

Attachments

• proto 001.jpg
    proto 001.jpg
    627.7 KB · Views: 118
  • proto 002.jpg
    proto 002.jpg
    728.8 KB · Views: 96
OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's the only way you can get what you think will work for you needs , I do the same , build what may work and improve up on it to dial it in . I don't claim to be the best at any thing , but I am a welder fabricator also by trade , for around 30 years , now a Cat mechanic . But still do fab and welding from time to time ,
Any thing I can help with let me know , I'll try ,

Been a millwright for over 20 years now. Worked on everything from miners, bolters, and jacklegs to instrumentation and switchgear. I'm probably one of the last of the TRUE millwrights in the fact that I can do machining, mechanics, hydraulics, pneumatics, electrical, instrumentation, and welding and fabrication.

Got an idea for the articulating joint involving a 14 bolt spindle and hub. Driveshaft could pass through the spindle simplifying the driveshaft construction due to angular offset and the articulating halves. Thinking about a couple of hydrostatic transmissions would fit the bill for the articulate also.

I really don't see any other way for a small miner to go mechanized other than building their own equipment. I'm still kicking this around three way from Tuesday trying to find a way but it is not looking good. Need to dig through the plans cabinet I have here and see what I can come up with. Yea, I keep drawings of almost everything I do.

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's cool , only if I could read your mine to figure out what your trying to come up with and size ,
But I'm sure your visions are what your needing , it sounds very large ,

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually it's rather small. We are talking mini excavator and mini dumper size. I should have what I see as far as "commercial" equipment for the small miner. Here in the States it isn't good, but if you get overseas there is plenty of equipment.

TEI in Colorado makes a small rock drill but I don't know may small miners that could fork over the money for one. They even make a mini jumbo, but I don't see too many buying one of those either.

That is getting into the six figure range.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread