Gold ore?

barbergirl27

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2016
Commerce,Ga
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi. Im new to this site and just came across your thread, and thought you may be able to offer an objective perspective. Im finding these types of rock in my yard and creek behind my house and surrounding woods. I have a mountian of saphrolite.quartz, shiste rock, granites. And the creek travels down to a deep ravine .its right next door to me about 10 ft lower than I am .the creek is full of boulders. Bottom and each bank. Anyway I've been picking up rocks for a year, not digging more than a foot. But these look like they may have fine gold.,I've seen gold using a magnified camera. There is heavy mica as well. They sure look like the pictures of ore that I find on internet. Sorry if this is too long. Im still learning.

Attachments

• 1472085294652.jpg
    1472085294652.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 1472085323000.jpg
    1472085323000.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 1472085351109.jpg
    1472085351109.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 1472085380019.jpg
    1472085380019.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 194

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Crush and pan to know for sure. Pic #4 is pegmatite, I'd try and find the source. If lucky, it may contain interesting minerals.

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
North Metro Atlanta area, Georgia
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unfortunately, you're not really in an area that's known for gold, more granite, pyrite, and iron. I wouldn't spend a lot of time in this heat crushing rocks. Been there, done that...it's a pain!

You're better off looking for beryl. That's what's in Commerce :D

Download the Georgia Mineral Resource map from 1969 here

Have fun hunting!

Last edited:

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The top right picture looks like arsenopyrite. If it is crush some I find it locally and i do get some fine gold out of it. A lot of work but fun when there nothing else to do. It also has a lot of mica in it. Some of the other rock may be worth checking also. There not surpost to be gold in the area. That I been finding it in either. Usually if its crumblely and rusty i will check it.

Phreeze

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in north carolina and have found some interesting rocks that i think may contain gold or precious metals. 16322496480378746378677322631613.jpg

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Phreeze...welcome to the site..:hello:

To get much of a response you'll need to start a new thread.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Crush and pan to know for sure. Pic #4 is pegmatite, I'd try and find the source. If lucky, it may contain interesting minerals.

Hey EU...really good to see you posting. For some reason I haven't seen your posts lately.
Jim

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Trying to identify a rock based on looking at pictures of other rocks usually doesn't work except in best-case scenarios. Lots of rocks are really messy and can come in many colors. Trying to identify a gold-bearing rock based on comparison to pictures that are out of context is probably no better than random chance. A rock containing gold could look exactly like another that has none. Also, finding a rock with visible gold on it is not very common, even if you are in an area where those kinds of mines are. Get your hands on some gold to see what it looks like so you can distinguish it from mica and pyrite, etc. Also learn about the minerals in your area. If there are gold mines around, usually you can learn that the gold is found in certain kinds of rocks and if it was big enough to see or not. A lot of times, gold ore doesn't even have visible gold.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose one of the first things I would do is test the creek for gold. If you can’t find gold in the creek it’s not likely you’ll find ore in the creek bed.

If you do have gold, fine or otherwise then the rocks may be well worth investigating further. As said above the vast majority of the gold mined is very fine and often nearly on an elemental level. Just because you can’t see it in the rocks certainly doesn’t mean it’s not there.

They look interesting enough that I’d investigate further myself.

SnowdogAk20

May 3, 2021
Palmer, Alaska
Detector(s) used
I've used a Fisher Gold Bug II, though now I have a cheaper Garrett model.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. Im new to this site and just came across your thread, and thought you may be able to offer an objective perspective. Im finding these types of rock in my yard and creek behind my house and surrounding woods. I have a mountian of saphrolite.quartz, shiste rock, granites. And the creek travels down to a deep ravine .its right next door to me about 10 ft lower than I am .the creek is full of boulders. Bottom and each bank. Anyway I've been picking up rocks for a year, not digging more than a foot. But these look like they may have fine gold.,I've seen gold using a magnified camera. There is heavy mica as well. They sure look like the pictures of ore that I find on internet. Sorry if this is too long. Im still learning.
If very heavy, perhaps copper minerals or even cinnabar...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread