Breaking rock with .22 blanks (don't try at home kids)

JasonG

Nov 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
GPZ, GPX, CoRe, GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just having a bit of fun, seeing if a Ramset can break rock on the cheap, been rolling this idea over in my head for a while and finally tried it.

Do I need to mention how dangerous this is here? But we're miners, we deal with danger often so use your noggin.

*edit trying to embed video into post, failing.

Last edited:

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
37o8Kfq.jpg

OP
OP
JasonG

JasonG

Nov 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
GPZ, GPX, CoRe, GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't recognize any non-Picard facepalm as legitimate, implied or not.

16327.jpg

:p

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
As far a legality goes it seems to me when a bullet isn't used as a bullet
but used to blow something up, it's a bomb.
Not supposed to make bombs.
In some States a Ramset requires a license.

OP
OP
JasonG

JasonG

Nov 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
GPZ, GPX, CoRe, GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sierra Blaster, Black Cat, and Tannerite manufacturers and customers (target shooters) might disagree.

From the ATF:

"Persons who manufacture explosives for their personal, non-business use (e.g., making fireworks to set off on your own property or mixing binary explosive components to remove a stump in your own yard) are not required to have a manufacturer’s license." (and you only need a manufacturers license for usage/ignition if it's for business use)

I'm not manufacturing anything, it's .22 blanks from the hardware store, only difference is they are being triggered in a barrel made of granite and not steel. I can't speak for other states but they are allowed here.

Small arms ammunition is exempt [18 U.S.C. 845(a)(4), 27 CFR 555..11 : definition of “ammunition”, 555.141(a)(4)] from explosives terminology/regulation.

This is why, I presume at least, you don't need a license to make exploding tannerite targets, or a license to actually use mini blaster-type equipment, only training topurchase the loads. There is no permit/license offered for this on the ATF site even if you wanted to get one.

If you have seen something saying otherwise I'd be interested to see it.

Tony_agr

Jun 1, 2014
Placerville
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree with the use of the ramset blanks, the red power ones are the best, I certainly would not try to break rock with a firearm at least the ramset is designed to be faced on a masonery object..

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys know how this goes. Lawyer interpenetration.
Personally I am a free radical. Do no harm but at the sane time don't harm yourself
as far as your liberty goes. But as soon as a bolder experiment goes..... Don't injure
anyone including yourself.
Just saying, today it's just a fire cracker, tomorrow it's a bomb.
I own a Ramset. I don't think of it as reliable or safe. I should also say it's a cheapy.
not the pro version so ya get what ya pay for. I shouldn't use the Ramset trademark
as they have made a good product for years.
But ya know, guys are going to do what ever needs doing to find a result.
Plus, guys like to blow stuff up.
A little fertilizer and diesel does the same thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread