Getting the gangue out of the mine...Ideas?

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Burglar bomb? That one made me chuckle. I prefer claymores but they are a little hard to come by.

Officer, I have no idea how in the world my sulfuric acid, nitric acid, glycerin, and a stack of #2/#4 lead shot happened to crash onto the floor at the exact moment this pile of formerly human hamburger helper was trying to break into my mine and steal my generator. Truly, I'm baffled. Truly.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
********** WARNING / CAUTION! ***** ANY form of a booby trap will put you into jail! And or sued for sure!!Plus I wonder how long it would be before one of my grandchildren or great grand children or even my do would grab that line and pull it? I like the idea of this BUT its not for me!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodyguy,

I kinda now the area Saltwaterservr is in. And there is better than a 90% percent chance there is gold in those sulfides.

Hopefully 90% of the gold in the mine is free milling.

It's more expensive and labor intensive to recover from sulfides and may not even be cost effective unless the assay's prove otherwise.
Pretty sure cyanide leaching and flotation, or smelting would be pretty expensive due to chemical costs and the currant EPA laws on disposal and air quality.

Is there a cheaper way?

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
********** WARNING / CAUTION! ***** ANY form of a booby trap will put you into jail! And or sued for sure!!Plus I wonder how long it would be before one of my grandchildren or great grand children or even my do would grab that line and pull it? I like the idea of this BUT its not for me!

It's not a booby trap, it's an anti-theft device. Once you've broken the locks to get into the mine, you are no longer operating in normal and expected behavior. You've destroyed property and now your intent is no longer lawful.

The mace system won't go into the mine until the adit is gated and secured. Hell, no one has probably been in there in 100+ years.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other

It's more expensive and labor intensive to recover from sulfides and may not even be cost effective unless the assay's prove otherwise.
Pretty sure cyanide leaching and flotation, or smelting would be pretty expensive due to chemical costs and the currant EPA laws on disposal and air quality.

Is there a cheaper way?

GG~

Cyanide is economically viable. MM, myself, and kurtak decided not to discuss it publicly because we don't want people who aren't experienced with it playing amateur chemist and killing themselves. It's why I deleted all my posts in the cyanide thread I started a few months back.

As far as processing the sulfides that are in the form of arsenopyrite, we have been working on the bio-oxidation route. The bacteria utilize the sulfur as a food source and bind the arsenic into ferro-arsenic compounds that are stable. The EPA recommends the arsenic in that type of compound as best practices to remediate arsenic contamination. All it takes is sulfuric acid to bring the pH right, and the bacterial strains you can buy online from biological supply houses.

We're also thinking that rather than a shaker table or floatation that we can use a mineral jig to separate the sulfides from the gangue.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

It was a joke.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Is there a cheaper way?

GG~

When we get it all figured out, we'll post it all up here. Just don't want inexperienced people trying to replicate our ideas without knowing how to deal with this stuff if something goes wrong. This isn't exactly stuff you can dump down the sink or out in the yard if things go sideways. Hydrogen cyanide can be created here rather easily if a mistake is made and this is the same stuff used in gas chambers back in the day.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread