This is why we kind of shut down prospecting for the summer...

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
hot.jpg

And this is just the middle of June.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...:laughing7:

Attachments

• summphoe.jpg
    summphoe.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 84

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went in an old mine near Randsburg that had a whole living area with beds and everything carved out underground, always figured it was to beat the heat.

retiredusafgi

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2017
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV Treasur Hunter, Pioneer 202, Titan 9000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm here close by you in Mesa, AZ...early morning hunts if I do any at all and usually done by noon with a cold iced tea in hand afterwards!

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Tuesday now expected to be 121.

A few more degrees and it would be getting uglier than Rosie O'Donnell's butt crack the day after an all you can eat ghost pepper burrito and lukewarm beer buffet.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm here close by you in Mesa, AZ...early morning hunts if I do any at all and usually done by noon with a cold iced tea in hand afterwards!

I'm going out Saturday to bring home some gear and put down rat poison. I'm shooting to be home well before noon.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
:icon_sunny: wussies

It's drywashing season in the desert! April - July no moisture problems at all, humidity below 10% for the season. Set up an easy up for shade and bring lots of water. Start before first light and be back in the air con before noon. If you detect do it at night/early morning. Easy Peasy :thumbsup:

Or you can complain like thousands of others next winter about how you can't drywash because of the summer monsoon rains putting too much moisture into the ground. Year after year I hear that same complaint from people who wait for the fall cool down to mine.

This is the desert folks. It's loaded with gold and no water. If you don't get out in the heat or you are waiting for running water you won't get gold. It's that simple. Why do you think we still have so much gold? :icon_sunny: wussies is why!

Salty you've got a hole to crawl in and cool down. Just stay out of the afternoon sun and you will be fine. :icon_king:

If you can't stand the heat try Washington or South Dakota. You won't get much gold but it's cooler in the summer. :laughing7:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other

It's drywashing season in the desert! April - July no moisture problems at all, humidity below 10% for the season. Set up an easy up for shade and bring lots of water. Start before first light and be back in the air con before noon. If you detect do it at night/early morning. Easy Peasy :thumbsup:

Or you can complain like thousands of others next winter about how you can't drywash because of the summer monsoon rains putting too much moisture into the ground. Year after year I hear that same complaint from people who wait for the fall cool down to mine.

This is the desert folks. It's loaded with gold and no water. If you don't get out in the heat or you are waiting for running water you won't get gold. It's that simple. Why do you think we still have so much gold? :icon_sunny: wussies is why!

Salty you've got a hole to crawl in and cool down. Just stay out of the afternoon sun and you will be fine. :icon_king:

If you can't stand the heat try Washington or South Dakota. You won't get much gold but it's cooler in the summer. :laughing7:

Heavy Pans

You're talking to the wrong person. We don't play weekend warrior drywashing games.

No to all of that. Too easy to get injured and dead in the summer heat because one thing went wrong, and then another...and then another.

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Heavy Pans

No amount of gold is worth dying for. How many "would be miners" has the desert killed Clay? The desert has no mercy on the inexperienced or the unprepared. Low humidity will pull water out of your body just as quick, if not quicker, than high temps. Combine them both, and you have a recipe for disaster just looking for a place to happen.

That gold has been there for millions of years, a few more months either way won't make a damn bit of difference. And it gives us time to get a game plan together instead of running around willy nilly like a chicken with its head cut off.

Yes I am involved in SaltwaterServr's venture. This fall and winter are for prospecting and testing. If everything "pans out" (pun intended), next summer will be a different story.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No amount of gold is worth dying for. How many "would be miners" has the desert killed Clay? The desert has no mercy on the inexperienced or the unprepared. Low humidity will pull water out of your body just as quick, if not quicker, than high temps. Combine them both, and you have a recipe for disaster just looking for a place to happen.

That gold has been there for millions of years, a few more months either way won't make a damn bit of difference. And it gives us time to get a game plan together instead of running around willy nilly like a chicken with its head cut off.

Yes I am involved in SaltwaterServr's venture. This fall and winter are for prospecting and testing. If everything "pans out" (pun intended), next summer will be a different story.
By nest summer you should be underground to get away from the heat and this could save your life. Good for you and full speed ahead.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For those of you who don't live in the desert I'm sure these temperatures seem pretty insane. These guys aren't pulling your leg when they tell you heat can be dangerous. It's not as statistically dangerous as driving a car, golfing or drinking alcohol but if you don't follow some simple precautions like staying hydrated and wearing light clothing it can get pretty uncomfortable. But then you already know that don't you? After all Pennsylvania has more heat deaths than Arizona. People die from heat all over the country every year.

I'd put the heat danger in this desert for anyone smart enough to drink water, wear shoes and a hat about the same as the danger from coyotes or mountain lions - almost zero. Less than the chance of being struck by lightning. In fact the people who are most likely to die from heat are children locked in cars and elderly over the age of 75, not active adults with more than three brain cells.

Thousands of people worked outside doing strenuous work today during this heat. The guys building the house across the wash from me worked, as they always do, from 6:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The trash men picked up my trash on their twice weekly rounds at about 2:00 p.m. The guys hand digging the utility ditches off HWY 60 dug in the sun and the heat as they have every other day. Heat doesn't stop people from living their lives and making a living in this or any other desert I've lived in.

I myself worked under my easy up until just after noon. To give you an idea of just how hot it was under and around my easy up I took my infra red remote thermometer with me today and took some readings. The air temperature was only 112 in the shade when I knocked off at noon. The ground temperature in the shade was 138 degrees. The ground temperature in the sun was 153 degrees and the rock wall, in the sun, next to my easy up was 168 degrees. The air temperature in the shade in my backyard right now is 117 degrees.

Guess what? I'm still alive! So are the construction guys, the ditch diggers, the trash man and my friend who runs a tow business where he is constantly, for years, jumping between the air conditioned comfort of his truck and heavy labor at well over 140 degrees air temp on the roadway. Yeah cars break down and need tows even when it's hot. In fact myself and all those thousands of other desert dwellers will do it again tomorrow just as we have for centuries.

The hottest place here, as always, is the center of Phoenix city where 3 million people live and work. None of them died from heat today but their chances were much greater of dying from the heat in the city than it is from dying in the relatively cooler desert outside the city.

About 15 times as many people die from cold temperatures as do from hot temps in the U.S. Now that cold stuff is scary! That's why I prefer to live in the desert with the coyotes, mountain lions and heat. It's just safer here. :laughing7:

I'm not going to start calling you big "miners" Nelly or Nancy but come on. Stop trying to scare the newbies with the heat thing! I lived in Alabama - believe me 100 degrees with 98% humidity is a lot more dangerous and uncomfortable than 117 degrees with 6% humidity like I have here today. You aren't going to die because of the heat. You don't have to hide inside or stay in the city - you just need to have enough sense to keep hydrated, wear light colored loose fitting clothing and a hat. I'm pretty sure you guys can handle that. Oh you might sweat a little but don't worry a little sweat won't kill you. :thumbsup:

Heavy Hot Pans

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay,

I'm notvtrying to "scare" anybody. Just stating a fact. I spent all day today out there in 112 degree temps in the sun without a problem even though I have heart problems. BUT the thing of it is people like you and I are acclimated to this weather. I don't even really start sweating until it gets over 105 anymore.

Asking someone who works in air conditioning all day to do what you and I do out in this weather is kinda like setting them up for failure.

Anyhow, this our gig andcwe can run it any way we want. We still have issues to work out like how to safely process arsenopyrite and other sulfur based ores in an environmentally friendly way. Mining ore means squat if you can't process it.

I'm not busting your chops here. Just stating how we see things.

May the prospecting gods smile on you and yours.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Not going to die because of the heat?

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/tex...r-son-hiking-near-carlsbad-caverns-found-dead

That's four dead in two weeks in conditions less severe than what we're experiencing right now.

Here's more people dead while hiking in Arizona.

At least 4 hikers died during record heat in Arizona - 3TV | CBS 5

Remember one of those is a fiteas instructor who died.

Clay, as respectfully as I can put this, if you have comments encouraging people to go out and prospect or mine in these kind of weather conditions, keep them to yourself. You're going to get someone injured or killed.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/tex...r-son-hiking-near-carlsbad-caverns-found-dead

That's four dead in two weeks in conditions less severe than what we're experiencing right now.

Clay, as respectfully as I can put this, if you have comments encouraging people to go out and prospect or mine in these kind of weather conditions, keep them to yourself. You're going to get someone injured or killed.

Texas huh? Last year in Texas more than 3,500 people died from auto accidents. During the same period 4 people died from heat stroke. I won't take responsibility for either figure. :cat:

Arizona? Similar figures in 2015. 870 road deaths and 42 heat related deaths. Same o on the responsibility. :cat:

Here's what Pima County, Arizona Sheriff Chris Nanos had to say about this past week's heat deaths. “It’s all because they make a choice. All of this is 100 percent avoidable, even backyard barbecues can be dangerous on a day like today.”

Wanna guess how many people were mining in the heat this week in Arizona? More than 11,000. How many people have died from the heat in Arizona this year while mining? Zero.

Are miners smarter than hikers? As you can see miners are much less likely to die from heat exposure than unprepared people out for a walk.

The fact is people that aren't prepared for heat can die. People that aren't prepared for cold can die. People that aren't paying attention can die in auto crashes (nearly 40% are one car crashes). People die in droves each year by falling. So did the heat, cold, or auto kill all those people? Or was it lack of preparedness and personal lack of attention to important details? You know - that old fashioned thing about personal responsibility for one's own actions.

So you want to warn me to "keep it to myself"? How about yourself Salty? Now that you are informed about the real odds of dying from walking or driving will you stop encouraging miners and others to walk or drive to places other than their air conditioned home? Are you going to stop writing about using power tools, airplanes, exercise equipment or swimming pools. They all cause more deaths than heat exposure or mining. By your own over dramatic theory if you don't you may be responsible for other people's injury or death!! :tongue3:

This drama belongs on TV. Maybe you can get a Discovery show about miners dying from heat exposure? Er... then you can tell the story of all those miners that have died from heat exposure each year. :laughing7:

My original post was done a little tongue in cheek. I crack up every time I see another "Danger!! Danger!! Will Robinson" post. Y'all need to get over yourself. Make any decision you want about how and when you mine. It's your project do it your way. When you start telling others to keep their knowledge and ideas to themselves because they could cause other people to die you are far away from making decisions about your own mining project.

Was that respectful enough for you? :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Calm down my friend. Guys like Clay and I have been through the grinder a few times. We listen to a lot of people complain because hardrocking is hard damn work. Hardrocking isn't easy work and I have the scars to prove it.

Clay,

You calm down too. He may be a greenhorn but he has a good head on his shoulders. AT THE END OF THE DAY WE ALL GO HOME TO OUR FAMILIES. That is first and foremost. No amount of gold is worth dying for.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just some anecdotal comments....I think a lot of the heat related deaths that are part of the statistics are of people who are in ill health or old, poor (too poor to afford a/c), alone and usually in an urban environment. Here in AZ many of the deaths are of illegal aliens that run out of water in their effort to find refuge while crossing the desert unguided. Out of state hikers deaths are usually because they didn't carry enough water when they started the hike or didn't recognize heat stroke symptoms when they first started. I usually end up offering water to hikers if I see them hand carrying only about a half liter or so. A bottom line for me if I am hiking/working remotely is to carry more water than I think I will need (no less than a gallon) and head back to my truck before I have consumed half of it.

Be Safe!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Texas huh? Last year in Texas more than 3,500 people died from auto accidents. During the same period 4 people died from heat stroke. I won't take responsibility for either figure. :cat:

Arizona? Similar figures in 2015. 870 road deaths and 42 heat related deaths. Same o on the responsibility. :cat:

Here's what Pima County, Arizona Sheriff Chris Nanos had to say about this past week's heat deaths. “It’s all because they make a choice. All of this is 100 percent avoidable, even backyard barbecues can be dangerous on a day like today.”

Wanna guess how many people were mining in the heat this week in Arizona? More than 11,000. How many people have died from the heat in Arizona this year while mining? Zero.

Are miners smarter than hikers? As you can see miners are much less likely to die from heat exposure than unprepared people out for a walk.

The fact is people that aren't prepared for heat can die. People that aren't prepared for cold can die. People that aren't paying attention can die in auto crashes (nearly 40% are one car crashes). People die in droves each year by falling. So did the heat, cold, or auto kill all those people? Or was it lack of preparedness and personal lack of attention to important details? You know - that old fashioned thing about personal responsibility for one's own actions.

So you want to warn me to "keep it to myself"? How about yourself Salty? Now that you are informed about the real odds of dying from walking or driving will you stop encouraging miners and others to walk or drive to places other than their air conditioned home? Are you going to stop writing about using power tools, airplanes, exercise equipment or swimming pools. They all cause more deaths than heat exposure or mining. By your own over dramatic theory if you don't you may be responsible for other people's injury or death!! :tongue3:

This drama belongs on TV. Maybe you can get a Discovery show about miners dying from heat exposure? Er... then you can tell the story of all those miners that have died from heat exposure each year. :laughing7:

My original post was done a little tongue in cheek. I crack up every time I see another "Danger!! Danger!! Will Robinson" post. Y'all need to get over yourself. Make any decision you want about how and when you mine. It's your project do it your way. When you start telling others to keep their knowledge and ideas to themselves because they could cause other people to die you are far away from making decisions about your own mining project.

Was that respectful enough for you? :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

We're good. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread