Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
Looks like a good way to get started for around $40 -125.00 including the drill and hardware. Thanks for posting.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
Looks like a good way to get started for around $40 -125.00 including the drill and hardware. Thanks for posting.
Hello
Harbor freight sells item numbers 61419 or 98729, a 4 1/2 inch diamond turbo cup wheel for $35.99 or 29.00 on sale that may do the same sample grinding job. The diamonds may not be as thick. One will just have to take a look.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
Just priced at Lowes hardware the dewalt diamond cup 4 1/2 inch wheel is around $45 and the 7 inch diamond wheel cup is around $89 the diamonds blocks are very thick however.

mpgken

Oct 3, 2016
Montana in winter and Yukon in summer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious as to what it does to the gold. Seems to me it would grind it to powder, then how do you recover it? Free milling gold would be easier to remove if it is larger than flour sized powder. I haven't tried this so I may be wrong and would like to know. Thanks.

OP
OP
Oakstrails

Oakstrails

May 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Just Me
For the time being
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It might knock small pieces off bigger gold but it won't disappear. Also gold is very malleable. Most hardrock (lode) gold is picker size and smaller. Like micron gold size.
For the recovery.... Classify it, then you'll need to concentrated it... Via pan, table, miller table, anything that will hold onto small gold.
Then smelt the super cons.
That's another process all of its own.
Good Luck,
May you pan always shine
The OAK
Sent from my LG-H918 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm curious as to what it does to the gold. Seems to me it would grind it to powder, then how do you recover it? Free milling gold would be easier to remove if it is larger than flour sized powder. I haven't tried this so I may be wrong and would like to know. Thanks.
Yes this can grind up the gold into powder if one does grind that far. It may be a good idea to try to sluice, gold pan, gold cube, miller table, and shaker table the material at different screen sizes. There is also more time spent if grinding down to flour sized power. The upside is the fine 'Free milling values' will be there for the process you decide to use if it is there. Maybe one can use some metal detectors at different screen sizes to help determine if there is any larger 'Picker' values along the way. For example if the sample rock is taken down to around the 1/4" - 1/8" size one can screen off this size rock to sluice, pan, eye ball with the aid of a lens or even metal detect this size rock to start to see if one may have any values. The finer size material can be also processed to see if there is enough fines to decide if it is worth the time and energy. Some people have the equipment (impact mill, ball mill, rollers) to take rock down to powder to get near all of the 'Free milling values'.

The idea here is a low budget way of crushing rocks to see if one has some values in the rocks other then a assay of the material. How one decides to 'Process' the grounded up rock may be the biggest factor.

Last edited:

mpgken

Oct 3, 2016
Montana in winter and Yukon in summer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might knock small pieces off bigger gold but it won't disappear. Also gold is very malleable. Most hardrock (lode) gold is picker size and smaller. Like micron gold size.
For the recovery.... Classify it, then you'll need to concentrated it... Via pan, table, miller table, anything that will hold onto small gold.

Thanks, I feel the larger the gold, the easier it is to recover. Grinding gold smaller would seem to me, to make it harder to recover. I know the gold will still be there but recovering it becomes more difficult the smaller it gets. I am not knocking this idea just trying to figure out what would be best for my needs. I don't have any crusher or grinders at the moment.

I'll have to give this a try. Just finished watching videos on HardRockU on panning micro fine gold. This may be the way to recover the smaller pieces of gold from the grinding.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, I feel the larger the gold, the easier it is to recover. Grinding gold smaller would seem to me, to make it harder to recover. I know the gold will still be there but recovering it becomes more difficult the smaller it gets. I am not knocking this idea just trying to figure out what would be best for my needs. I don't have any crusher or grinders at the moment.

I'll have to give this a try. Just finished watching videos on HardRockU on panning micro fine gold. This may be the way to recover the smaller pieces of gold from the grinding.
This one still likes a pipe and rod type of crusher.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone use the hand operated lever type of jaw crusher? Is a pipe and rod type crusher easier to carry around and use?
Thanks.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
Anyone use a reciprocating saw or sander (battery or electric powered) to shake a rubber mat for the crushed and screened test material? Any pictures and ideas on this.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
Anyone use a reciprocating saw or sander (battery or electric powered) to shake a rubber mat for the crushed and screened test material? Any pictures and ideas on this.
Possible ideas for shakers: Possible shaker for a square mat for sampling rocks.JPG sander vibrating sieving machine.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread