Mobile Metal Ion (MMI) technology

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading up on this assay method and it sounds interesting for deep deposits. Has anyone sent in samples for this type of analysis and
do you feel it is accurate and cost effective? If not what type of assay method is most reliable?

The following explanation about Mobile Metal Iron is from their website:

"Mobile Metal Ions is a term used to describe ions which have moved in the weathering zone and that
are only weakly or loosely attached to surface soil particles. It has now been proven in a CAMIRO study
using Pb isotopes that these Mobile Metal Ions are transported from deeply-buried ore bodies to the
surface. Scientists from around the world have been studying this phenomenon for many years.

Convection, electrochemistry, diffusion, capillary rise and seismic pumping are some of the theories
which have been put forward. However, research and case studies over known ore-bodies have shown that
mobile metal ions accumulate in surface soils above mineralization, indicating that the metals are derived
from oxidation of the mineralization source. Capillary rise is thought to be a very important process in the
near surface environment which is responsible for maintenance of anomalies and dictates depth for
sampling. The hypothetical model suggests mobile ions are released from ore bodies, migrate vertically
and accumulate in surface soils.

As the ions reach the surface, they attach themselves weakly to the soil particles. These are the ions that
are measured by the MMI Technique to find mineralization at depths. The weakly attached ions are at
very low concentrations. Because the ions have recently arrived to the surface they provide a precise
‘signal’ on where the ore-bodies are."

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's the link to the article.
By William Hutton and Jonathan Eagle

In Part 1 of this article we covered some of the background behind our previous explorations and geomagnetic survey of Bimini, Bahamas. We discussed the rationale behind our using the survey techniques we used. In this part we continue with a geochemical analysis of the shallow subsurface soil in an attempt to find further evidence of the mineralized vein discussed in Edgar Cayce reading 996-12.

It helps to provide the source for those that want to study further. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

J__P

Jan 12, 2010
Here's the link to the article.

It helps to provide the source for those that want to study further. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Hi Clay Diggins,

This is an interesting topic. I spent some years studying this phenomenon.
It was first discovered by Frank Reith, a geomicrobiologist who studied microbe-gold interactions at the University of Adelaide, Australia.
What he discovered is there are microbes that live in the soil even at very deep levels where there are mineral deposits, and these microbes secrete cyanide, which they use to dissolve tiny amounts of gold and other metals from ores or metal particles. When they excrete these metal cyanates, they are dissolved into the soil and rise up toward the surface, sometimes more than a mile in transit.
By the time they reach near the surface (could be 10,000 years or more, depending on how deep), the ionized gold, silver, or copper solutions re-combine with surface elements and become compounds.
But the strange thing is these dissolved traces of gold rise exactly above where the concentrated buried metals/ores are located. Many of these microbes which come to the surface have been observed to deposit their rich gold concentrates on existing nuggets near the surface to give them an outer shell of high purity gold.

So Frank Reith started a company which is SGS today that goes to mines all over the world to dig grids of test pits, where they assay the traces of mineral ions that have risen in the soil so they can tell the mine where to dig for their ore. They take the soil bout 4-10 inches below the surface where there is still a concentration of ionized acids and cyanates, and they assay each test pit to find out where the richest soil is. They are measuring parts ber billion or parts per trillion of the metal ions. They have become a billion dollar industry, helping mines to find out where to dig for gold, silver, copper, tin, lead and many of other industrial metals.

When the news story first came out about 12 years ago, it was all over the internet, with diagrams showing exactly how it works. But today, the SGS company seems to avoid talking about the mechanisms of how it works, probably because they have a proprietary process where they charge large sums of money to perform surveys at mine sites.

What is interesting is that some people have discovered that for shallower buried metals (like sacks of treasure, jewelry etc), it may only take 10-100 years for these microbes to create a rich concentration of the metal ions near the surface of the ground where the metals are buried. And they build electronic devices which they hope can detect the rich areas of the soil, so they know where to dig.

Here are some links that you can read up on it a little:

Here is a sample of an MMI survey done at a mine showing what they measured and how they did their test pits: https://www.appliedgeochemists.org/images/stories/IEGS_2005/31 Fedikow Mark.pdf

Some microbes migrate toward the surface and re-deposit the gold they dissolved as purified gold traces on the surface of nuggets to make them higher quality.
Many exploration companies look for these bacteria as a sign that gold is near.
You can read about the details here:

News in Science - Bugs grow gold that looks like coral - 28/01/2004
Geotimes - September 2006 - Microbes act as alchemists
http://crcleme.org.au/NewsEvents/News/Archive/2004/AUSIMMReith.pdf
https://books.google.com/books?id=L...l=en#v=onepage&q=microbe gold cyanide&f=false
http://aem.asm.org/cgi/reprint/67/7/3275.pdf
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/08/060802103513.htm
People's Daily Online -- Bacteria help form gold in the wild: report

Search hundreds of articles that tell how microbes move gold in the ground: https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch?query=microbes+move+gold+in+the+ground

This search will show you the published mobile metal ion test results of hundreds of mines around the world:
https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch?query=%22mmi+survey%22+results&oq=%22mmi+survey%22+results

Best Wishes.
J_P

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe they've successfully perform that type of exploration in Nevada. I think they call the technique whiffing, like getting a sent for signs of mineral deposits below from what can be found in the surface soils, but I could be wrong. Someone was describing to me their exploration technique at a trade show I attended somewhere that sounded something like this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot about this post and nice to see it has been renewed. I did go ahead and collect a bunch of samples and sent them in.
Little bit of back ground first. In this area digging test holes we found micro gold flakes the were rough, triangle shape showing
that they may not have travelled very far. In all eight test holes down 20 - 24 inches we found these micro gold flakes. As these results
were consist that's when I took 50 samples in a grid pattern and sent them in for MMI assay. The results showed some gold however
they were not as strong as I was hoping for. I'm happy with the MMI process and it is a heck of a lot less expensive than bringing in
a drilling crew.. Small portion of the assay attached..

Clay Diggins said it best: "It helps to provide the source for those that want to study further." and if I can add to his saying: "It also provides the source to know when to quit"

ASsay.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread